Apr 12, 2017
herne bay
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi there I wonder if you could comment and advice a little,

Went to view an old hymer - C class 1991, spent almost two hours inspecting every single bit (thanks for your PDF guide, very useful!). And i noticed a couple bits that are not right…
  • there is small amount oil leaking from the engine - 4-5 drops for those 2 hours
  • one main light has got bit of moisture in it from inside
  • other light has got little bit of corosion on the “mirror” by the bulb
  • 2x1 cm hole in exhaust (midsle part) + during start there was bit of smoke leakage from those 4 exhaust pipes that are connected to the engine (sorry I am not a engine guy)
  • water was running nicely but only cold - whats the most common problem with these boilers? I waited for good 20 minutes but still only cold water
  • how long does it take to fridge to get cold? to assess that it works well?
  • one dent on a side - fixed by sillcon (see picture)
  • small side window above the cabin has got broken corner 4x5x5 cm of the external window (its double gazed) the internal one is fine
  • inside its really well preserved, clean and dry in every single corner, drawr, cabinet, under the sink, floor, under window/seats
also it started on second try? (how high change is its only battery... as I was told :D ... as the van has not been in use properly for 1-2 year - it did only 200 miles or so) ...But both battery indicators on a panel where showing almost full (there are two leisure batteries in a MH, but I believe that that they are both connected to one indicator and the secodn one is engine batery, correct:)

Drives and accelerate nicely, breaks well … the only think is that clutch bites at the top end of the “pedal trajectory” but no problem to stop and drive up the hill… i have never driven these big and old cars… I dont expect them to be like my skoda fabia 1,2

At the moment its SORN so can not really drive it to my servise for inspection :(

Could you please comment or perhaps advised what average coss are we looking at (I understand it is impossible to say from my description) … how much is exhaust change? new/second hand window (are hey easy to source?)

MOT until september/october; no prove of servise/cambelt in past few years

many thanks for any feed back

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hymer-5-berth-motorhome-diesel-manual-excellent-condition/172675432958?_trksid=p2481888.c100651.m4497&_trkparms=aid%3D777001%26algo%3DDISCO.FEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160801204525%26meid%3De4b10c74284d415c9c431277c8e3c10c%26pid%3D100651%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26&_trkparms=pageci%253A1bdf3719-400f-11e7-9113-74dbd180b4c4%257Cparentrq%253A37a12faa15c0aa11f1f533fbfffb0783%257Ciid%253A1

Attachments

• IMG_7559.JPG
    IMG_7559.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
2 main things would put me off. The oil leak, which will probably only get worse ( unless it's an easy fix like an easy to change gasket) and the clutch, which sounds like it is ready to start slipping soon. With no proof of cambelt change ( if it has one) you would need to get it changed as soon as possible, a broken cam belt will ruin the engine.
Everything else can be fixed, the fridge will take a few hours to start cooling down, but if it isn't working, a replacement can be pretty expensive.
Where was the van, how much and do you have any pics of it? I remember I looked at a similar van near you last October and wasn't happy with it. It also had a broken window above the cab and damage to one side.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
firstly the repair looks fine, even if not good looking, it should have done the job

can you post a link to the advert so we can view more details and maybe some photos

or at least tell us, base vehicle, price if you don't mind

I would say no engine should drop 4 drops in a day let alone an hour, so some engine work likely, but it could be a very simple seal, but I would worry that had it been simple it would have been done, unless it is possibly still simple and a function of being stood

regarding hot water and fridge, were they both turned on? fridge may have cut off if engine running, they are not very efficient on 12V, heating will probably need gas, was that turned on ? what type of heater is it?

Hopefully a link to the ad will let more people offer help when the get up in the morning though maybe :)(y)

edit, put 1991 Hymer into ebay, guess on location this could be the one, IMO probably £2000 over priced, not sure what the air ride suspension is but some of the spec sounds unusual for the age.

Good luck with it, but be cautious and negotiate hard if you take it any further

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
xhaust (midsle part) + during start there was bit of smoke leakage from those 4 exhaust pipes that are connected to the engine (sorry I am not a engine guy)
The 4 exhaust pipes are the manifold, it could be very costly to replace the manifold if the studs are broken. Fuel consumption will be very high and no guarentee you will get the parts you need.

Oil leak???
My advice would be to take along a mechanic or a savvy techi type as your purchase might not be the bargain you might think it is.

After looking at the link.....it is imperitive that you have it checked professionally i wouldn't want to pay that kind of money with the problems you have noticed let alone someone that knows what they are looking for.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ondrej

Ondrej

Free Member
Apr 12, 2017
herne bay
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
Im a newbie
Thank you for your thoughts guys! I attached the links for add at the bottom of my first comment... Its Fiat 2,5l

Water boiler was on for ~ 20minutes, fridge about the same - both on gas. No luck realy ..

If we have a look at MOT for past few years (attached), it has not been driven very much - perhas its the reason why nobody bother to deal with the leak. What is bit dodgy it the exhaust - there has nothing been advised 10 months ago ... and now even I can spot the hole in pipe

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
It looks very like the one I saw in October last year, everything was good but I didn't like the sound of the engine.
The reason he was selling ( he told me) was because he was moving to Spain.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I commend you on your thorough investigation and in putting the problems in front of people, many of whom may be familiar with the vehicle type or the issues you encountered.
The bottom line seems to be buying an older vehicle, presumably because it falls into a price range you can accept but in order to reach a good serviceable condition, more costs seem inevitable. A couple of the repairs may fall into the open ended expenditure situation, bumping up your initial expenditure.
There are always other vehicles for sale, many kept in almost pristine condition and without the evidence of neglect you have discovered.
My other concern would be damp. If components are rusting through and water has entered the lights...... If you still wish to go ahead, get a reliable damp/habitation check before buying. Damp = very expensive possibilities.

Upvote 0

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Second that, very impressed with your detailed inspection.

I wonder if all the problems are the reason it has not been used much for a while.

After 20 mins on gas I would expect you to feel some warmth in the water, you can normally hear the burner and if it fails you normally get some sort of red light. In my experience fridges are the most problematic of all motorhome appliances but if it had a cold box section I would say you would probably notice it a little cooler after 20 mins but I could be wrong never actually timed it.

I would seriously suggest carry on looking.

Although a relatively old motorhome it is still a significant amount of money. Be prepared to travel around and look at a few, having seen a good many you should really know when you find a good one.

I would suggest with an older motorhome, condition and how it has been cared for is more important than layout and the interior does look good but that is a long list of mechanical issues.

We had not much more cash than you but ended up borrowing extra and getting one 7 1/2 years old with a warranty. Good job too as we have had a few faults so be prepared to spend more as problems are bound to crop up.

Happy hunting and hope you find a good one.

Upvote 0

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
My advice (for what it's worth) - don't bother with it unless it is very cheap and you are a good mechanic with plenty of tools and somewhere dry to work on it!

Lots of older vans for sale!! :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ondrej

Ondrej

Free Member
Apr 12, 2017
herne bay
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
Im a newbie
Thank you guys for all useful comment! Really appreciate that.
... yes, I have already moved on and carry on hunting elsewhere ... uf uf :)

It will my first motorhome, planing to stay in it for longer periods of time whilst fully emploeyed. My partner will move to Scotland in a month time to get a job there, so it will be only my using MH (for most of the time) and I am fed up of renting/being tied to one place, so thought about trying this... therefore I don't want to spent 20000 for a MH as its kind of "trial" / new experience / fun ...

thinking about to go and view these two:

Ducato swift sunton ... no roof rack –> no surf board on the roof :(

... no oven --> boiled past every day :D

But up until now I was mainly looking in to Hymers so I am not terribly familiar with any pitfalls and issues of other manufactures...

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back