Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
...What's the accepted process?
If you see one you like, it's not as if you can go for a test drive there & then, nor get a professional inspection if you choose.
Yet often I've seen "sold" stickers on vans - surely people don't take punt without a test?

Greytop

Free Member
Jul 9, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hyner Swing 544
Exp
On and off since 1985
I would imagine that people who buy at a show have been looking (or half looking) for a Motorhome for some time and know what sort of thing they are looking for. I am sure a test drive is important, but to me and maybe others, the layout, quality and style of the conversion is the most important factor. Also don't forget there are not that many base vehicles around anyway to make a test drive of prime importance.
Regarding a professional inspection, surely if you buy from a reputable dealer this should not be of great importance. Most are sold with a years warranty anyway.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
surely people don't take punt without a test?

I did.. bought our Georgieboy RV at Peterborough show in 2005 from TravelWorld.

when we went to collect at the showroom I had a drive before parting with cash.. wasn't disappointed..

as mentioned.. no big deal if buying from a respectable dealer and you can back out if not happy when you collect..

This time around when I bought the Hymer, yes, I had a test drive.. but if it had been at a show happy to buy and test later..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Oh dear :(!
I guess that's one excuse not to buy @ p'boro blown out of the water...
I know the layout, its got to be under a certain length and I'm not too fussed about brand. I guess if there's something in budget I might be reaching into my pocket :LOL:.
So do most dealers need a deposit to lock the van & slap a sold sticker on it - cash, cheque, plastic?
Will they negotiate given thousands are potentially a customer?
Its all rather scary :eek:.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Oh dear :(!
I guess that's one excuse not to buy @ p'boro blown out of the water...
I know the layout, its got to be under a certain length and I'm not too fussed about brand. I guess if there's something in budget I might be reaching into my pocket :LOL:.
So do most dealers need a deposit to lock the van & slap a sold sticker on it - cash, cheque, plastic?
Will they negotiate given thousands are potentially a customer?
Its all rather scary :eek:.

We had good fun negotiating a deal and got a good one as well. Trade in agreed and inspected, extras and freebies agreed plus delivery date and plate transfer.

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
it's not as if you can go for a test drive there & then
That depends on the show and the dealer .... We saw a s/h motorhome at the Newark show last week which we were very interested and the dealer (SMC) arranged for me to take it for a test drive on trade plates there and then, which I did.
Unfortunately in this instance we decided it was not the m/h for us but it can be done with a good dealer.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We bought our current motorhome at Malvern show in 2008. Test drive not that important as so few different chassis but most dealers will arrange a test drive, though not always that day as so much to move to get them out. We grabbed it because the layout was exactly right, though it cost more than we really wanted as it was only a year old then.

Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We bought our current motorhome at Malvern show in 2008. Test drive not that important as so few different chassis but most dealers will arrange a test drive, though not always that day as so much to move to get them out. We grabbed it because the layout was exactly right, though it cost more than we really wanted as it was only a year old then.

Us too. At Lincoln, deposit on plastic quick, before someone else did.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We bought our second mh from malvern
2013 a hymer no regrets in fact mot today
passed no work needed 1996 model
first van advertised on side of road again
no problems

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Providing you know what you want and go to a reputable dealer, mechanically the warantee should make sure that everything works. The things that can be more expensive and difficult to see are damp and driving comfort.
The true virtue of Shows are the availability of huge selections of layouts, dealers and prices. You also get more free time to compare and ask questions without pressure than you might in a single dealers showroom.

Alan

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
The key words here are "REPUTABLE DEALER" I purchased mine at a local dealer, had a test drive and the dealer agreed to do some jobs before I collected the MH. I now leave you to read the article that I placed on this websites Dealer Review page. Remember buyer beware, Dealers are not there to make friends they are there to take your money by hook or by crook.

:(:(Having lived and worked abroad for the last 20 years it was always my intention to purchase a motor home on my return to the UK when I retired. I spent a lot of time and effort to find the right vehicle and eventually settled on a Devon Tempest, 2 years old and with 1500 miles on the clock. What I should have done was completed the purchase after the dealer Dolphin Motor homes had done the habitation check. my mistake!. The van was sent off to their Southampton branch for the habitation certificate to be issued and in my opinion that is what they did, issued the certificate because they certainly DID NOT DO THE WORKS SATISFACTORY, the van was delivered to me with a faulty fresh water tank, waste water problem, toilet badly functioning and other jobs either done badly or not done at all.

The waste water tap was ceased and needed renewing the electrics on the fresh water system were faulty there was a bolt missing from the strike plate on the rear door the swivel seats would not swivel the radio and Sat nav system did not work along with other problems. All of these problems I was assured would be corrected but the van had to go back to Southampton as the Iford branch only has a valeting bay and not a mechanics workshop, image my surprise 3 days later when I phoned Southampton to be told “NO” we do not have a bay to lift the vans and our man has taken his tools to Iford to carry out the faults there, (I assume laying on his back on the floor)

The offending problems were all done bar the radio/sat nav which apparently 3 people had tried to correct, the main dealer had been contacted , who was not prepared to give free advice and eventually the MD fiddled with the system (his words not mine) and after 15 minutes did manage to solve part of the problem. I have solved the remaining fault with a friend. I now intend to have the gas check done by an independent engineer All of the running about has been at my expense and I feel that the company had no interest what so ever after my monies had been banked..

I started by explaining that I had been abroad for twenty years and am aware that the UK is named RIP OFF BRITAIN; service like this only adds fuel to the fire. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY:(:(

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I have had the good fortune to have bought vans from four dealers to date and either by good fortune or careful study of the internet, we have had excellent backup service. CamperUK in particular stood out as exemplars of good dealers but as with any company who have a large turn-over of vans, I am certain there will have been customers who were dissatisfied with them.
I do not know if there is a cooling off period after buying at a showground, there certainly should be, especially having no chance to test drive the vehicle in most cases or when getting home and checking out the reputation of the company and you have second thoughts about buying from them.
Perhaps "Subject to a test drive" should be written in to any agreement.
A company near Ramsey refused to let me test drive a van I fancied but assured me it was fine. I am sure it was, and as far as I am concerned it is still there.

Alan

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We didn't test drive our last purchase.
There didn't seem any point. It's a motorhome!
The base vehicle takes your box from one nice view to another, that's it!
What do you expect of a motorhome? Putting in the fastest lap around the Top Gear track?
"Ooh the layout is lovely, but there is a bit too much understeer around the Hammerhead for my liking!"
I think it's good to buy from a reputable dealer, with a warranty, and trust the integrity of the base vehicle manufacturer and the existing service history.

I think the only exception to the above is if the base vehicle is out of manufacturers warranty, and it is a Fiat, don't buy it WITHOUT a test drive. It might not have been de-juddered!:reel:

That's the reason God gave us the Transit!::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back