Buying an older motorhome - what to watch out for (1 Viewer)

donnieban

Free Member
Jun 19, 2016
Highland
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
A newbie
I am thinking about purchasing a 9 or 10 year old Ford based motorhome. Are there any obvious corrosion type issues associated with buying at this age? Probable mileage of about 25, 000 miles on a twin rear wheel drive Ford transit.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not sure that is correct for modern Hymers. The banded panels provide the rigidity in themselves AFAIK. Not sure that applies to older ones though.
Just done some more digging, Hymer tend to keep it close to their chest.
Early ones had steel frames they then changed to aluminum and later ones have some plastic struts in them although I don't know where.

Anyone interested in Hymer's history have a Link Removed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
donnieban

donnieban

Free Member
Jun 19, 2016
Highland
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
A newbie
Thank you MH 55 FUN, very helpful/ positive.

A confused Fiat Ducato badge coupled with a confused Ford up front:

A 2.2 litre HDi diesel engine derived from the co-operation between PSA Peugeot Citroen and Ford is available in two versions: 100 bhp and 120 bhp.

2.2 LITRE HDI DIESEL ENGINE
This new 4-cylinder HDi common rail diesel engine has been specially designed for commercial vehicles. Its capacity is 2198 cm³, obtained by a bore of 86 mm and a stroke of 94.6 mm.
This engine is equipped with a cast-iron engine block, a 16-valve aluminium cylinder head and two overhead camshafts. The camshafts are chain driven and a fixed geometry type turbocharger is used. By using the latest-generation common rail direct injection system, with an increased injection pressure of 1600 bars, the system reduces both noise and emissions.
The system ensures that there is always high pressure fuel available for each injection phase during the combustion cycle. The operating principle involves the use of electromagnetic injectors, controlled individually, which enables a finer fuel spray to be injected into the combustion chamber. The gains in terms of complete combustion and energy efficiency provided by this process, results in reduced emissions, fuel savings and a higher engine torque output. A high-capacity exhaust gas recirculation system, controlled electronically (e-EGR), lowers the combustion temperature and helps to reduce emissions of nitrogen oxide and 'black smoke' by around a half. This 'intelligent' electronic system monitors the flow of air and corrects it automatically in the event of an EGR unbalance, or if a valve is jammed. It continually adapts to the engine's operating conditions and is water cooled.The 100 bhp version is combined with a 5-speed manual gearbox and has a maximum torque of 185 lb ft at 1500 rpm

Upvote 0

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Just done some more digging, Hymer tend to keep it close to their chest.
Early ones had steel frames they then changed to aluminum and later ones have some plastic struts in them although I don't know where.

Anyone interested in Hymer's history have a Link Removed.
I can confirm this (as I found when I fitted the thetford toilet and discovered the steel bars in the way).

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back