Buying an ex rental MH? (1 Viewer)

B

brassneck69

Deleted User
How would you guys feel about buying an ex rental MH?

The one weve spotted has got 36k miles on it, on an 08 plate. Its a Swift Suntor 630L, and it ticks our boxes.

My thinking is although i know its been used by different people, the chances are they were more mature, not boy racer, types so would of had a bit more care.
Plus if i was buying it from a person id still consider it with the miles on it for the price.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
ex rental

Hi

I know my reply is not motorhome specific but i also own a static caravan on a Haven site, i never hire mine out, but the one next to me is also a private owned but mainly rented out, the first time it was rented out it was wrecked.

I am under the impression that some people just dont care about what they do with rental motors/caravans as after all, its just a rental.

I personally would not buy a ex rental tent!

Regards

Ant & Debs

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

The one weve spotted has got 36k miles on it, on an 08 plate. Its a Swift Suntor 630L, and it ticks our boxes.

My thinking is although i know its been used by different people, the chances are they were more mature, not boy racer, types so would of had a bit more care.
Plus if i was buying it from a person id still consider it with the miles on it for the price.

Any thoughts?
Hi,36000 miles on a comercial chassis is not even run in yet.All ex rental vehicles are maintained correctly,so no problems there. I would personaly prefer to buy a MH with some miles on it than one thats stood around and done nothing. There is nothing worse than the lazy motorhome syndrome.MH hirers take huge deposits,so anyone renting would be stupid to trash a rental MH.Anyway you can see any damage to the habitation area.Dont worry,if the price is right and you are happy with your find,go ahead.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I would be happy to buy one provided the price and condition was right.After all the niggly bits and bobs that are not right on new M/Hs will have fell off and been fixed :ROFLMAO::thumb:
The engine may have had a little hammer but no more than white van man gives them :ROFLMAO: go for it :thumb::thumb:
terry

Tiderus

Free Member
May 2, 2008
Tywyn, West Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Twelve years
Hi,
I bought a new 6 berth Apollo m/h in about 02 which was mostly finished from an auction at Warington (13k). I had to buy a few bits for it from the makers. As it was a long way there, the then manager met me half way , as he was comming my way on holiday. They built them for sale and the hire market, which was a major part of their buisness. He said they nearly went bust (have now) with the constant damage done by hirer's. But found a firm on the net which insured them for ÂŁ65 a week. After which buisness picked up and they had also the repair work. I think its a good idea on the whole, but let your eye be your judge and your pocket be your guide. Probable an RAC inspection would be well worth while, and any faults would give you a lever for reducing the price. Also you'll have a very good idea of what its like.
Rgd's G.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Personally would not be put off with buying an ex rental, but would make sure of the condition, same as any van. I know from seeing rental vans on site some get awful treatment, but so do some owned vans.
I think it's the same as always when buying, check, check and check again, before parting with your hard earned cash.
.............................If in doubt walk away, best rule.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Any thoughts?

It's a juddergate vehicle driven by many possibly clueless people, take great care.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
If you had seen this MH advertised privately and did not know it was ex rental,,, would you have still thought about buying it if all the right boxes were ticked and the price was right. :RollEyes:

If the answer is yes get some one to come along with you and give it the once over, (4 eyes are better than 2).

And go for it. :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It's a juddergate vehicle driven by many possibly clueless people, take great care.

I would echo that sentiment.. clutch could be on it's last legs .. or it may even have been replaced already.. pose the question to the dealer then see if he will give a mechanical warranty on major parts.. if not, personally wouldn't buy..

jim

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The milage is nowt but the way it has been driven would be less than careful on a hire vehicle. Gerbox, clutch problems are just around the corner. It is a juddergate vehicle probably has the scuttle problems as well. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole unless the price allowed for new clutch/gearbox.

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
30 months mh 40+ years tugger and camping
I would be very carful about buying ex rental bought my wife december last year a vauxhall corsa 4months old from main dealer within a week the gear stick fell off the car and the front nearside wing and bumper also came loose after vauxhall clearly state that all thier cars are checked with no hidden history I done check on car and found out out that it had been used as a school of motoring car with bsm within the first three weeks the car was in a front end major accident with three further accidents within the spase of four months I was lucky I refused to have the car back we had a brand new car at no extra cost to us

shardav

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
holbeach
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
1 1/2 years
ex rental

In March this year we bought an Autoquest 100 - 2007 with 32,500 miles on the clock - ex rental/hire vehicle and myself being a previous lorry driver/white van man had no worry whatsoever about purchasing such a vehicle at the right price and still with manufacturers warranty on the van side of things - I've been into peugeot and had the scuttle done, and engine cover fitted free of charge - all updates done and I can honestly say go and buy it you won't be disappointed its now done 34,600 miles and it hasn't missed a beat - and to make you laugh value my motorhome have offered me more than I paid for it so I am well chuffed, ok so it may have been driven by all and sundry, but they are not the type of vehicle to be driven like a looney - more of a chill out and view the scenery!! - I don't hang around in my car, but in the motorhome I just cruise, so go for it, at the end of the day its a van with a house on the back and vans are used to being thrashed!! :thumb:

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
If it was anything other than a Fiat I wouild not hesitate to buy it if it is what you want and the price was right.

But gearbox and clutch failure arising from "juddedrgate" are now legendary so, even if the components have been replaced, expensive repair bills may well lie ahead.

There are some reports of component failure at very very low mileages (one as low as 1500 yes fifteen hundred miles) so if you are happy to take the risk then the best of luck.

If you are not that familiar with the judder issue there are other forums to this where the issue has been discussed in glorious detail. My last count numbered over 5000 posts on here and elsewhere.

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Planet Mars next 2 Uranus
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
It's all down to money in the end, if its a decent price and it ticks your boxes then buy it.

In fact because its ex rental thats the best reason to look for a big knock down on the price, use this as a negotional tool

Do all the usual HPi checks though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back