Buying advice (1 Viewer)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
1st and 2nd questions: (of many I suspect)

When is the perceived best time of the year to buy (if there is one)?

If a Motorhome is for sale for £20k (for example) at a dealers how much of a reduction is reasonable to expect when paying cash wth no part exchange? I know you can't be specific but a ball park figure would help.

Many thanks for your advice. :thumb:
Phil

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
IMHO The best prices can be seen in the "Winter" Months.Certainly that seems to have Been the overall trend the past few years.Once the first sunny days of Spring arrive the prices seem to rise accordingly.:Sad:

Depends on the dealer and the Salesman's need to bolster his figures at that time.I guess the more interest you show in a vehicle the less they are going to let you barter.....Be prepared to walk away after offering a fair price to them.They'll either come around or let you walk away.There's plenty out there.Finding the right layout for your lifestyle is paramount.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
IMHO The best prices can be seen in the "Winter" Months.Certainly that seems to have Been the overall trend the past few years.Once the first sunny days of Spring arrive the prices seem to rise accordingly.:Sad:

Would agree with the above. I have found it is often better to try to get things rather than cash, tax, gas, fittings rather than cash off, maybe others will have found it different. Worth a try either way.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Best of luck

Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for your information so far:thumb:. I'd still like to hear lots of other people's opinions.

:thanks2: in anticipation.

Phil

Upvote 0

winchman

Free Member
Jul 9, 2009
Funster No
A few years ago I sold a few caravans, for about 12 months we had a small business working from home selling cars and it just wasnt making money, so we sold a few caravans, now I was selling cheap stuff £500-£2000, the cheap stuff sold really well never had one for more than 7 days, the dearer stuff took 1-6 months to shift, I found no seasonal trend but most dealers tell me its seasonal. I only packed up as we lost our storage.
When you go to buy it even if its perfect tell the seller its the wrong colour etc its not exactly the one you want etc as this can all reduce the price.
I would turn the tables on them and offer to sign up now as this is always what they try to push you in to, but do your home work and be certain of exactly what you want.
Dont rush as there are plenty about, you may have to travel but thats part of the adventure.
I went to a local scrap yard for an electric window switch and came home with a camper, you just never know when you will find what you want, I would start by posting a few wanted ads on different sites and just see what comes along.

Upvote 0

winchman

Free Member
Jul 9, 2009
Funster No
No problem
I have wanted a camper for a long time but never had any money, but then I found Bertie.
Details including his first trip to a campsite near Mold here
thattoheathmountainrescue

When I had my first caravan, it was a 1982 model and cost £100, one of my mates said to me.
See that Caravan next to yours, it cost £15000.
He said "the kids staying in it and playing will have just as much fun as yours"
How true.
Now I would love a big new motor home but unless I win the lottery its doubtfull so have a look at some of the older stuff as if its your first its a good way to try it and see if its for you.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
1st and 2nd questions: (of many I suspect)

When is the perceived best time of the year to buy (if there is one)?

If a Motorhome is for sale for £20k (for example) at a dealers how much of a reduction is reasonable to expect when paying cash wth no part exchange? I know you can't be specific but a ball park figure would help.

Many thanks for your advice. :thumb:
Phil

i presume you mean a credit/debit card payment?

if you mean hard cash.....£20 notes....forget it.
most dealers wont take cash payments over a certain amount, something to do with money laundering laws.

we know...we tried.

first m/h was £23k and the cash offer was refused
same with our hilux....cash payments refused over £9k.

i reckon the dealers like a trade-in as they will make more money on the re-sale than they will ever offer you and any reduction in price to you can be recouped from the trade-in.

asking for 'extra's' doesnt cost them as much as it will cost you at a later date but it looks as though you are getting a bargain at the time and they will prefer this to cash reductions.

private cash sales will nearly always get you a reduction for cash if you wave it in front of the seller.:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Good point John,

Money laundering - I never thought of that. :Doh:

Once again, thanks for all your replies.

Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Winchman,

Your point about the comparative prices of the caravans is certainly true. I shall bear that in mind.

Phil

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I bought both of our vans in the winter months. One I bought Boxing day :ROFLMAO: the other on my birthday in November. ::bigsmile:

In my experience in listening and talking to dealers, the seasonal thing is true but only so much as to say that more people buy in the spring/summer. It does not mean that they can give vans away in the winter, just that they need to make there money in those good months to see them through.
Amazingly even in this recession alot of good reputable dealers seem to still be trading even though months ago we were all told our vans would be worth pennys soon.

A decent dealer will always try and sell you a van but at the same time will always have to think profit/bank ballance.

Have you thought about buying private? I bought both of my vans private and on both occasions haggled thousands off the asking price and when I say thousands I do litterally mean thousands:Blush: If you have the brass neck, the patience it can be done. Then all you need do is get a reputable service guy to go round and give it the once over for you (cls did mine) and your as good as on your way.

Buying privately, you have to be aware and beware, you have to do your homework much much more, make use of HPI checks etc and be prepared to travel the country if you know exactly what you are looking for.

Still well worth the hassle as far as we are concerned :thumb:

good luck what ever way you decide to go with it.:thumb:

Upvote 0

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Much as it is true that winter months have tended to be cheaper in the past, with the current recession and people looking for cheaper ways of having holidays, I have noticed prices have somewhat risen on the older motorhomes this year.

Take time to have a good look round and decide what interior layout suits you.

Then, go hunting. Make sure you get it checked out by the AA or RAC or something similar even if buying from a dealer.

Dependent on the style some layouts are more difficult to obtain but if the one you choose is plentiful you are bound to get a bargain somewhere

Good luck, look forward to hearing what you decide on

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back