buying a van ,a cautionary tale (1 Viewer)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Typical........gleans all the information from this forum prior to buying then posts about been cautious but refuses to name the dealer so basically is happy for some unsuspecting individual to fall foul to which he managed to avoid!! How selfish!
Whoa! Steady on, that's not called for. I can understand the OP being cautious of naming and shaming, although I have to say it has been done plenty of times before. It's no us that will get into trouble, it will be Jim and the OP.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Whoa! Steady on, that's not called for. I can understand the OP being cautious of naming and shaming, although I have to say it has been done plenty of times before. It's no us that will get into trouble, it will be Jim and the OP.
Just my opinion. Freedom of speech and if it's true what the OP says then how can anyone get into trouble?? It amazes me the number of people who come along and have all these 'issues' with dealers warning us about it but refuses to name the dealer.

So for instance you have a washing machine and you think it's crap, you don't fear naming the manufacturer do you? So what's the difference?

OP
OP
cookie
Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
its easy to tell others what to do . you have nothing to lose , i think i am sorry now for posting , thought it was worth warning the nieve folk who believe the salesman's spiel . its not unknown for companies to take individuals court for damaging their trade.

even with walking away with my cash back we've sat and worked out we are £350 out of pocket

already bought bits for it , wrongly counting chickens perhaps

£70 down there

loss of isa interest as we drew out early

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Actually though, has he had such a bad deal, he has only checked things that anyone would , buying a motorhome, and had all his money refunded and even his taxi fare, so hasn't lost a penny , sounds like a fair sort of a dealer me.

OP
OP
cookie
Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
point is not everyone would, if we had paid the rest of the money would he have been so eager to refund.

he gave us 3 choices
deposit back
go home and they would repair it
take it home and bring back later

ok seems fair but

they lied about service history, they lied on the vehicle damp report.

would you trust them ?

OP
OP
cookie
Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
if i wanted to resell in 4 years id have no chance whatsoever

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
point is not everyone would, if we had paid the rest of the money would he have been so eager to refund.

he gave us 3 choices
deposit back
go home and they would repair it
take it home and bring back later

ok seems fair but

they lied about service history, they lied on the vehicle damp report.

would you trust them ?
Wouldn't trust any dealer, that was my point, you have had better service than you might have done.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
If it's any help I wouldn't post where I bought mine from
But I would of and did post my problems on here
2007 I think

But thanks for posting just to Keep folk on their toes
:mnythnks:

Every vehicle sold second hand has been sold for a reason
Time for new or sell a problem on :wink:

REMEMBER The dealers van is always
better than yours in there're eyes
Thing is most accept that and hand over £---------s

Then are disillusioned :crying:

The trick is to turn round and think YOUR buying the van to resell and gain a pound they DID
so dig deep to find faults to hit them with ,
(You may be and not find any)
don't take it away to be rectified later if you do,
withhold part payment
At least enough for someone else to do it
Tends to focus their mind

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Still good to hear of a prospective buyer pitching up to view with a damp meter in hand! That's the way to do it. And, so so important, don't hand over the balance until you have checked everything in detail and then....... check it all again.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
paid deposit on autotrail Savannah 2 weeks ago, at what we thought was a reputable dealer,agreed a price and gaslow to be fitted and cambelt done.

was assured service history was all up to date including hab checks and service records.

arrived to collect today , the salesman was oh so eager to pay first but i insisted on seeing all paperwork and checking van including a test drive.

looked at fiat book, 3 service stamps in 5 years.
autotrail warranty book no stamps.

hab check they had done looked ok but said rear doors resealed and has i have read about this problem on autotrails, went out to check work done , rear doors were both completely rotten on the bottom , finger through wood rotten, all around the frames was well over 25 readings some of it read 39.

decided to check inside van readings under seat at front were over 25. all other readings were well over what they had written, total b locks all of what they had written , no garage receipts for service / cambelt either.

they couldn't get us off the premises quickly enough even paying us taxi home £100

thank god for what I've learnt on forums and my Chinese damp tester.

totally disappointed but so glad we didn't get bittten.

now we are vanless and scared to buy another
Sorry but don't understand after reading your op again, why you didn't do these checks before agreeing to buy.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I spent thirty years standing in a Court room with people calling me a liar.

Thing is, I only told what I saw. I never broke sweat over anything I said.
Any dealer would have a hell of a hard time trying to convince a Judge that what the OP was told, what he saw, what exists, in purely in the mind of the OP. The vehicle is recorded, it has a Reg plate, they can't bring forth another van and say the OP is talking sphericals.

From what I've read on this thread the dealer would be announced from the rooftops.
The dealer could Sue but he would be damned.

How many dealers would voluntarily pay for a taxi, not many.

They've been caught with their pants down. They know it. Any proceedings would only highlight again the sharp practise in this case. They would be on a hiding to nothing.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Just my opinion. Freedom of speech and if it's true what the OP says then how can anyone get into trouble?? It amazes me the number of people who come along and have all these 'issues' with dealers warning us about it but refuses to name the dealer.

So for instance you have a washing machine and you think it's crap, you don't fear naming the manufacturer do you? So what's the difference?
Yeah, yeah, just your opinion and freedom of speech is different to name calling and getting personal.
How selfish!
It's amazing how rude people can be on here in the name of "it's just my opinion" and "freedom of speach"

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Yeah, yeah, just your opinion and freedom of speech is different to name calling and getting personal.

It's amazing how rude people can be on here in the name of "it's just my opinion" and "freedom of speach"
I couldn't agree more Sandra
But when we put our trust in a Trader, rather than buying privately, we do so in the hope that we will be treated fairly and honestly.
From what this OP claims, the dealer lied about the service history and the hab checks.
That's dishonest and they should be exposed for their lies.
Anyone can make a mistake, but dishonesty is another matter altogether.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I couldn't agree more Sandra
But when we put our trust in a Trader, rather than buying privately, we do so in the hope that we will be treated fairly and honestly.
From what this OP claims, the dealer lied about the service history and the hab checks.
That's dishonest and they should be exposed for their lies.
Anyone can make a mistake, but dishonesty is another matter altogether.
I am not disagreeing with you or anyone else, but there are ways of saying things and there are ways of saying things! Anyway, have you eaten Croatia out of house and home yet?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I am not disagreeing with you or anyone else, but there are ways of saying things and there are ways of saying things! Anyway, have you eaten Croatia out of house and home yet?
You're making us sound like a pack of ravenous Hyenas !!!!!!!
I would have preferred it you'd asked "did you eat sufficiently on your culinary tour of Coatia?"
But I guess there are ways of saying things ......

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
As an outsider looking in, ie a newbie about to buy his first motorhome...........

The dealer lied
no full service history
no full habitation checks
wanted money before seeing
but I'm not telling you who or where!

I would if it happened to me.
But thanks, I think I am shopping around in your area of the country.

beejay

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
West Dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Newbies, now have a Chausson Flash 08
We're picking up our first motorhome next week (a 10 yr old Chausson) now I'm getting worried. Our dealer is "down south". We do get a 6 month warranty.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Warranty??? usually not worth the paper they're written on.............
Cheers, Dave(y)

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
We're picking up our first motorhome next week (a 10 yr old Chausson) now I'm getting worried. Our dealer is "down south". We do get a 6 month warranty.

Be carefull of us down south folks beejay !!! You know what I mean geezer! Lol

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Trouble is - the warning is useless without knowing who the OP has a problem with.

Without that pertinent piece of information, the whole story becomes a yarn told over a pint...

One question does intrigue me... and I'm not trying to be confrontational...
...but if these faults were so obvious when you went to pick up the van, how come you didn't spot any of them when you first viewed it, and paid a deposit?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Trouble is - the warning is useless without knowing who the OP has a problem with.

Without that pertinent piece of information, the whole story becomes a yarn told over a pint...

One question does intrigue me... and I'm not trying to be confrontational...
...but if these faults were so obvious when you went to pick up the van, how come you didn't spot any of them when you first viewed it, and paid a deposit?
Wot I said:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back