Buying a new motorhome - should I remove the extras we have added? (1 Viewer)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We are considering replacing the Autotrail Tracker with a smaller Van based motorhome.

We have added a few extras to it over the four years we have owned it and I wondered whether I should remove them and sell them seperately.

The air con. and bike rack will have to remain but should I remove the 40cm dome Satellite system, Tow bar and air suspension?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Dealer won't give you any more for leaving them in you could make a few quid for extras on your new van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MikeD

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Dealer won't give you any more for leaving them in you could make a few quid for extras on your new van.

Yes that is what I am finding

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Absolutely not, unless it is an up to date, expensive, modern bit of kit, most "extras" are a waste of space and obsolete after a few years and will end up in your shed!

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I wouldn't bother removing the air suspension, air con or tow bar but I'd definitely take the dome off and refit it to the next motorhome.

D.
Am in a similar position, why do you suggest not removing the Air Suspension/Towbar would it be that expensive to remove D
Thks

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Recently part exchanged A 2001 Hymer, Aircon, satellite, inboard generator, air suspension etc etc the dealer took the lot off as its more trouble than it's worth, passed its best, unless you can use it or, sell it for more than it would indirectly cost to leave it on, it's not worth the bother!!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We are considering replacing the Autotrail Tracker with a smaller Van based motorhome.

We have added a few extras to it over the four years we have owned it and I wondered whether I should remove them and sell them seperately.

The air con. and bike rack will have to remain but should I remove the 40cm dome Satellite system, Tow bar and air suspension?

Can't you get the dealer to fit things like the dome and the tow bar to the new van as part of the deal?

That's assuming you want them on the new van of course.

It's what we did when we changed vans.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
If you take the dome off won't it leave a rather large hole?!;)

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Can't you get the dealer to fit things like the dome and the tow bar to the new van as part of the deal?

We did the same, carried forward a Camos dome over a couple of vans, we had that thing for years.

If you take the dome off won't it leave a rather large hole?!;)

With the Camos dome I think they leave the mounting plates/feet on the original vehicle and get new mounting plates/feet to fit to the target vehicle? I guess there could be a blanking plate (or whatever it's called) to cover the cable run hole?

Safe to say I didn't do the transfer :)

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Am in a similar position, why do you suggest not removing the Air Suspension/Towbar would it be that expensive to remove D
Thks

Air suspension could be removed and transferred if the new vehicle will accept the same kit, if you can DIY then yes I suppose its viable, if you have to travel to a workshop and pay for it to be removed/refitted then it may not be so cost effective. Towbar is not likely to be suitable for the new vehicle unless you are trading like for like in motorhomes.

D.

OP
OP
MikeD

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012

The dome should fit and I am rather hoping the air suspension will as well.
Different type of motorhome so towbar definitely wouldn't. its a type approved towbar for the tracker only as far as I know. (y)

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Air suspension could be removed and transferred if the new vehicle will accept the same kit, if you can DIY then yes I suppose its viable, if you have to travel to a workshop and pay for it to be removed/refitted then it may not be so cost effective. Towbar is not likely to be suitable for the new vehicle unless you are trading like for like in motorhomes.

D.
Thks for the info D, need to establish as there coming of a fiat a couple of years old to go on this year fiat model can you shed any light on this
Thks

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Depends on which Fiat model, which chassis etc.

D.
Helpful D, it's coming off a maxi chassis 63 and going on a Standard chassis 16 both on 150bhp 2.3 so probably won't fit but thks for the info

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Is the Maxi chassis a std Fiat rear end or an AlKo chassis? If its the std Fiat rear end then the air suspension might well be transferrable. Which make of Air kit is it?

D.

OP
OP
MikeD

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Dave - Its a std fit maxi Fiat chassis on the tracker. I am not sure for the new motorhome but it will be a 3.5ton Fiat chassis. Dunlop I think is the maker. In-board air compressor and twin pressure lines/gauges.

Please give my thanks to Jackie for spending a large amount of time giving me advice/assistance this afternoon on the phone.

When my wife makes up "our" mind I will be able to supply more positive information. ;):rolleyes:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hi Dave - Its a std fit maxi Fiat chassis on the tracker. I am not sure for the new motorhome but it will be a 3.5ton Fiat chassis. Dunlop I think is the maker. In-board air compressor and twin pressure lines/gauges.

Please give my thanks to Jackie for spending a large amount of time giving me advice/assistance this afternoon on the phone.

When my wife makes up "our" mind I will be able to supply more positive information. ;):rolleyes:

Hi Mike, my above reply was actually to Gorse Hill rather than yourself ;-). I will pass on your comment to Jackie.

Cheers, D.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Is the Maxi chassis a std Fiat rear end or an AlKo chassis? If its the std Fiat rear end then the air suspension might well be transferrable. Which make of Air kit is it?

D.
Std fiat rear end and AS Suspension
Thks
Apologies to Mike D for hijacking his thread

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Bike Rack: if it's old a faded why bother? But Fiamma do offer blanking plates if it still look okay to reuse or sell.

Air Con: if it's Truma yes swap it over. If Dometic I wouldn't bother to re-use but would sell via eBay especially if you have the old rooflight knocking about as they are just held in place with 4 bolts and gravity!

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
When I changed Motorhomes I wasn't allowed to leave the dishwasher behind – well, we had been married 48 years!

:france::france::france::france:

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Why leave thousands of pounds worth of extras on a van you're selling then buy them all again. I always remove every single item and have them refitted on the next van. A local motor home dealer removes all accessories on vans taken in part exchange. His family then sell them to existing customers or put them on Ebay. A friend who works there kept a record a few years ago and they made over £34000 from items customers had left fitted today there vehicles. My advice is take everything off unless it clinches a good private sale.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I know this that is old but advice still stands, I recently traded in with a dealer and he said take everything you want off it. We couldn't be hassled with taking the solar panel which i wanted a flexible one anyway the tracker which I had desubscribed from anyway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back