Buying a New Motorhome at NEC Show October 206 (1 Viewer)

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Hi Newbie here,

Me and the missus are going to the show in october to buy our first Motorhome. We have decided to buy either the Chausson 610 or 624, based on Price, layout and fuel heating system.

Any advice on negotiating with the dealers? What discounts should I be looking for and what extra can i get with the price. We really want Air Con, Cruise control and s passenger airbag as an extra but dont know if they will throw these in with a bases model.

Thanks

Chris

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you go for the ford base I think you get most of the extras as standard anyway. Try going to one then another quoting the first to see what they will offer. Go early in the day and don't sign too quickly in case the first come back with a better deal (I speak from experience I signed too soon!!!!!). Make it clear you are looking to buy but want the best deal there are loads of people wasting their time just looking. Think about other extras do you want an awning etc if not and they have reached their best deal ask if you can have one anyway the manufacturers often seem to give them bits to give away if they sell a certain nmo. of units. If the deals are similar go for a local dealer or one with a good reputation you can soon spend on diesel taking it back if there are any defects. One thing I would ask for with hindsight is the cost of an annual habitation service and will they throw the first one in.

David

All advice given with hindsight from a crap negociator!!

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
If it was me and needed a garage I would have the 627GA just for the convenience of getting in and out of bed.
Otherwise the 625 again because of the bed, Its the climbing over each other that gets annoying.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Hi CL,
We have a 610 and it suits us well, it has cab air con cruise control and passenger airbag, we added reversing camera,canopy and a solar panel which charges engine and leisure batteries.
Because we sold our last one ourselves we paid cash for the new one and received a cash discount which more than paid for the extras.
Sometimes dealers are better than shows for price as at shows the extras are not always what you need, check out the dealers prices before going to the show.
Good luck

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Get a solar panel and regulator as well, so your battery gets topped up

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Chris Laing
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Dont like the bed layout of the 625 but do like the 628EB with the island bed thats under 7m. However its a bit more cramped at the dining area than the 610.

If it was me and needed a garage I would have the 627GA just for the convenience of getting in and out of bed.
Otherwise the 625 again because of the bed, Its the climbing over each other that gets annoying.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Chris Laing
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Thanks for that my first choice is the 610. ill check the spec of the new Ford transit to see what I get as standard.

If you go for the ford base I think you get most of the extras as standard anyway. Try going to one then another quoting the first to see what they will offer. Go early in the day and don't sign too quickly in case the first come back with a better deal (I speak from experience I signed too soon!!!!!). Make it clear you are looking to buy but want the best deal there are loads of people wasting their time just looking. Think about other extras do you want an awning etc if not and they have reached their best deal ask if you can have one anyway the manufacturers often seem to give them bits to give away if they sell a certain nmo. of units. If the deals are similar go for a local dealer or one with a good reputation you can soon spend on diesel taking it back if there are any defects. One thing I would ask for with hindsight is the cost of an annual habitation service and will they throw the first one in.

David

All advice given with hindsight from a crap negociator!!

Upvote 0

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Just a point CL, if you want to put bikes in the garage the 610 is fine but in other Chaussons it is not easily done if at all, they say it is in the one with a wind up bed but it isn't, ( can't remember the model)

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Our first motorhome was the chausson 510 which is the same layout without the lovely garage of the 610. If the 610 had been around we would have bougt one. I think it is a lovely van and the dealers do have a lot of scope with extras. We got extras at a reduced price as we had a caravan to trade in. I am sure if I was a cash buyer the discounts would have been more. It is really important to also look at the dealer, a good dealership is worth paying a little extra. If you have a local dealer you like then ask them if they would price match the best deal you get at the nec. Make sure you have their contact details, if they are not at the show, and give them a ring.

Don't be afraid to ask and ask for some more. As said above tell them you WILL buy today if the deal is right.

Good luck :)

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Based on recent stories on here factor in the cost of a good alarm system if going for a Ford base. :(

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Chris Laing
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Thanks

I dont have anything to trade apart from the missus so Im a total cash buyer. Should give me some leeway if I play my cards right.

Our first motorhome was the chausson 510 which is the same layout without the lovely garage of the 610. If the 610 had been around we would have bougt one. I think it is a lovely van and the dealers do have a lot of scope with extras. We got extras at a reduced price as we had a caravan to trade in. I am sure if I was a cash buyer the discounts would have been more. It is really important to also look at the dealer, a good dealership is worth paying a little extra. If you have a local dealer you like then ask them if they would price match the best deal you get at the nec. Make sure you have their contact details, if they are not at the show, and give them a ring.

Don't be afraid to ask and ask for some more. As said above tell them you WILL buy today if the deal is right.

Good luck :)

Upvote 0

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Regardless of the Make/Type of vehicle you buy, I would seriously suggest that you get a quote from a dealer at the show to see what is on offer and then see if any of your local dealers can match or come close to the quote from the show, there are many complications from buying from a dealer who is many many miles from you as others will testify,buying locally can be much less hassle.
Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Upvote 0

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
Thanks

I dont have anything to trade apart from the missus so Im a total cash buyer. Should give me some leeway if I play my cards right.
Being a cash buyer doesn't have the impact it used to sadly, they'd rather you got finance from them that way they get the profit from the sale PLUS the commision from the finance company.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Based on recent stories on here factor in the cost of a good alarm system if going for a Ford base. :(
Depends which model. I believe that the Transit Mk.8 may be more secure than the Mk.7. In any case, the first thing required with the Mk.7 is not an alarm, it's a more secure cab door lock cylinder (or deadlocks) closely followed by a means of preventing easy unauthorised access to the OBD port.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back