Buying a motorhome.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Fellraven, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Fellraven

Fellraven Funster

Been researching to try and decide which van to buy. Am I missing something because for example a Hobby T65 HFL was advertised in Uk as £53,995 whereas in the Mobile de it was 49500 euros or £42000.

Must be missing something ??? Why does everyone not just buy abroad?

2. f6c

f6c Funster

The hassle!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fellraven

Fellraven Funster

A lot of money £12000 ? You could afford to pay someone and still save a load?

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. jessthedog

jessthedog Funster

some might like to buy british?, and also, maybe a lot of people don't like the idea of left hand drive?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Vanman

Vanman Funster

It's a long way to take it back for fixes etc. as most dealers seem to not touch them if they didn't sell 'em.

Not sure if it's true of MH's but other vehicles have a UK spec and if it's not done to that then it can be a real pain registering it with DVLA.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bart

Bart Funster

remember the import tax... plus as already said , if anything goes wrong with it under warranty , that can be loads of hassle, but yes you can still save money :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Many do .. several on here have done so and made huge savings

@lorger imported a Possl van .. hopefully he sees this and explains the procedure..

If you don't want the hassle, this company will import for you and you will still save lots.. thy have a good reputation,..

http://www.bundesvan.co.uk

• Like Like x 1
  8. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

There is no import tax. You pay VAT in Germany (included in price) then get it back when you pay it again in the UK. Rates are similar AFAIK.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bart

Bart Funster

when i said tax , i was reffering to the VAT as to me its all the same as its goes to the robbing goverment..
    as for the vat being included in the price . some places prices advertised are net , and the odd dealer will let you buy it at net then pay the tax/vat when u import it, which HMRC make sure as they wont reg it until the tax/vat has been paid, from memory i think there was like 1% difference in tax/vat between the uk and Germany

• Like Like x 1
  10. lorger

lorger Funster

As Jim mentioned above I bought from Germany at the end of last year and collected van this year.

If you do your homework you can make a massive saving, more so when I bought my euros as I pre booked them at 1.39 if my memory serves me right.

As for some folk not wanting RHD and vans not being UK spec, well I ordered a brand new RHD, U.K spec van and that's what I got. The process was really easy even for a first timer like me. If it's new then you don't need to pay the VAT in the country of purchase you just have to pay it in UK before you can register the van. Once you have done that you send a copy of the payment to your dealer. This saves you paying it twice and claiming it back.

As for warranty the base Vechile on mine is Fiat so pan European warranty, as for the hab warranty it also comes as Pan European but my dealer and myself are aware UK dealers might not be keen on doing work. To solve this before I purchased we have agreed if I need any work done under warranty I can take it to a local approved dealer and either pay myself and claim back from selling dealer or if it's a big bill they will contact my local dealer and arrange payment.

Some might not be happy with this arrangement but for the saving I have made I'm more than happy and if worse comes to worse I'll have a weeks holiday in Germany and let the dealer do it.

I would certainly do it again if and when I buy a new van.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

When you come to sell it you'll probably find it will be worth £10.000 less than a UK right hand drive model.

Also didn't I read that they were having trouble with the windows leaking on this model?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fellraven

Fellraven Funster

Thank you all for your replies, I will have to look into it over winter and decide.

13. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Check the CURRENT euro/stirling exchange rate now before you do your sums plus the hassle of warranty and LHD

Peter

Peter

14. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Why ? Left hand drive cars/vans have always sold at a premium to rhdrive all the 45 years I have been driving. There are firms that have only ever sold lh drivein the UK from when I was a teenager. A lhdrive van can be sold anywhere in the EU whereas rh drive has a limited market.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bart

Bart Funster

as @lorger has already stated the LHD / RHD can be over come as he ordered a RHD model

• Like Like x 2