Buying A Motorhome From Europe

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by peterpan44, May 11, 2015.

1. peterpan44

peterpan44

Hi All,
    We have decided to buy a motorhome again after not having one for 2 years. We are interested in buying from Europe as we keep reading second hand motorhomes are cheaper abroad! We do not need one until the end of August but it would be nice to have one earlier. Our last one was left hand drive and 24ft and we had no problems driving in the Uk.

Are the motorhomes cheaper and what country is best to buy from? Our requirements are satellite system, solar panels, 2 leisure battery's and able to sleep 3 adults and value for money. We have looked at a Hobby 600 3 berth to a Euramobil tag axle 6 berth.

Regards
    Peter and Liz

2. Gandhi

Gandhi

I shall follow this with interest as I've given this some thought. :)

3. TheWM

TheWM Read Only Funster

Having never owned a MH / imported a vehicle into the UK I have in the past 10 days gone to Germany and imported an A Class. I literally read loads of stuff on here and other experiences of importing on the Internet and off I went. I'm waiting now for all the paperwork to be done before we can use it in the UK. It has been a whirlwind of emotions and quite exciting especially as I felt that I didn't have a scooby but the I'd recommend it. Not only do you get far more choice on the continent they are by and large better built vehicles and better spec'd. Lots are winterised for example so you can use all year round. Try using suchen.de to have a browse on the web (has an English version).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Xabia

Xabia Funster

Can't do better than searching on www.mobile.de.

Bought new twice, never had a problem and don't see why SH would be any different as long as you do the usual condition checks.

Mike

5. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Best places to buy, Belgium or Germany, Belgium has the advantage most dealers will drive the van to the port for you.
    We have brought 2 new Hymers in Belgium.

6. JJ

JJ Funster

I agree with Xabia (Mike).

Frankie bought her Hymer Camp 51 from these people in Germany.

www.my-caravaning.net

JJ :cool:

7. Mr B

Mr B Funster

It's a no brainer. Loads cheaper than here. We got ours from ze french bit.....

8. bellabee

bellabee Funster

Hi Lenny. Can you recommend any dealers in Belgium? Have found several in Germany, but Belgium would be more convenient.
    Thanks
    Chris

9. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Campirama are the sole Hymer dealers, we have brought from them twice.
    Here are some others from a Google search, Urbano have a good name don't know about the others.
    upload_2015-5-11_17-56-47.png

upload_2015-5-11_17-57-11.png

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. bellabee

bellabee Funster

Thanks, Lenny. I'll take a look.
    Chris

11. YukonJac

YukonJac Funster

I'd certainly look at buying overseas in the future, but what about selling it? Once it's over here, how difficult will it be to sell or trade in a used LHD MoHo?

12. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Not too difficult plenty about, with an A-Class it doesn't make much odds. biggest advantage of LHD drive is you can sell or trade it in any country with a RHD you are limited to the UK.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mr B

Mr B Funster

Can't see it being a problem. Plenty of people out there who will see it as a bargain when and if you come to sell.
    Would never px to a dealer unless you stand with yer legs wide open and get ready for a good kicking in the plums :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. YukonJac

YukonJac Funster

If I had plums, I would be worried:)

• Like Like x 5
  15. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Only applies to UK dealers, Continental dealers work on far lower margins you will be surprised how much they will give you for a trade in, that's why it's an advantage to have a LHD.

• Like Like x 3
  16. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Everyone has a lower margin except them over here who will screw you for everything, I am looking for a new 610 and they want 6000 less in Germany. and that is for a Welcome not a bog standard Flash on a Ford base There is no restriction on the number made as there is with RHD, so plenty around new with a lot of very competitive quotes.

• Like Like x 2
  17. peterpan44

peterpan44

Thank you for all your reply's
    I have found a possible motorhome in an auction on German Ebay.
    The owner unfortunately does not speak English and I cannot insure the motorhome until it is safely on a boat back to England.

18. TheWM

TheWM Read Only Funster

You can get 3rd party insurance via the German registration system and plenty of companies will insure on the chassis number for 28 days. Try comfort or the C&c insurers (they are 14 days) Adrian flux too - there are others. As for language Google 'English-german' and use the translation service there. You can also get an iPhone app which will assist when you go over.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Leftlegger

Leftlegger Funster

With the greatest respect and hopefully what I,m about to say doesn't cause upset,I see alarm bells ringing here.
    Firstly and most important try before you buy,an ebay description will in more cases then one focus on the good points and gloss over the bad.If you cant converse then you may be missing out on something important here.
    You will need export plates to book a ferry home,this may well need the motorhome going through a new TUV test,as the one I,ve just bought had to.You can insure on the VIN or chassis number but not all insurers do this .
    I,ve bought twice through mobile.de and find that registering with them gives you an option to save the ones you like the look of to your garage,here you can compare and over time watch how the price changes,not always downwards.
    The first time I bought I took a good look at the photos and flew out to hanover,thats when I found out the owner had shares in duct tape,it was everywhere,but not in the photos !I cut him down paid him 6000 euros and drove it home,had it for 5 years with some good holidays down to france and spain,sold it last year for £7350,minus the duct tape ,so LHD isn,t a problem.
    I,ve just come back from heidelburg with another,this time flying out and hiring a car to travel round,with brother in tow,awaiting respons at this moment from DVLA.
    Good luck in your endevours but I would advise caution if you have only one motorhome in mind when you travel out and find its not quite what you're looking for.

• Like Like x 2
  20. peterpan44

peterpan44

Thank you for the reply.
    Its an auction and I have no plans on paying a penny until I have seen and inspected the van. If it is not as described or something obvious has not been mentioned I would just walk away. I have bought many cars from Ebay this way but always in the Uk. I can be in Germany within a couple of days and I have a Spanish Euro bank account.
    The auction is http://www.ebay.de/itm/Dethleffs-AF...61?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item5b11ab6911
    If there is any duct tape anywhere I will be walking away!
    I have translated the description.
    Safeguard said they can only insure the motorhome once its on the boat back to the uk. I am not covered to drive it in Europe until I have UK plates on it.
    My last motorhome was LHD.
    He is a dentist so educated, I would have expected him to be able to speak some English?
    We shall just have to see what happens!