Buying A MoHo Abroad

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Cilfan, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Cilfan

Cilfan Funster

I've come across a few references on here about the savings that can be made by purchasing from outside the UK. My shallow pockets - plus a lifelong reluctance to pay full price for anything - dictate that I'd be failing myself if I didn't explore the option further. So I'd be grateful if someone could enlighten me as to:

What sort of saving could I expect on something costing £40-45k here?

Are used MoHos also cheaper in Europe?

What are the Import Duty and VAT implications in either case?

And finally

What's the situation regarding warranty on a new MoHo purchased over there?

Somehow I suspect that - certainly new - prices will still be out of my league. But if you don't ask you don't find out.

Thanks in anticipation of your replies.

Dave

2. kip

kip Funster

We bought our s/hand hymer 534 from Germany (private sale)& saved about 4 grand on UK prices albeit the £ was a little better against the €.wouldn't know how much you could save on the amount you have to spend, but I would imagine it would be substantial. We spent under 10 grand:).

3. Speve

Speve Funster

We imported a new Hymer Exsis last year via Bundesvan (BVS) cost around £53k including their services and all paperwork taxes and import costs etc saved a substantial amount compared to Uk prices £70-80 K
    Well worth doing IMHO(y)(y)(y)
    Exchange rate was then £1 = €1.40

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. BMStewart2004

BMStewart2004 Funster

5. bellabee

bellabee Funster

Have a look at this web site http://www.mobile.de . There are loads of new and used vehicles advertised. If you do a few searches, you'll soon get an idea of asking prices - and, of course, there is room for extra negotiation.
    There is no Import Duty if you buy in the EU. If you buy new, you pay VAT in Britain. If you buy used, VAT doesn't come into it.

• Useful Useful x 2
  6. Rob Turner

Rob Turner Funster

I bought my Dethleffs from Munich in Feb. It was 6 months old and i saved a packet, the exchange rate now would be 10k more and not so tempting.
    At the moment i wouldnt bother personally, i would wait and see how things go.

7. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

We have bought 2 new Hymers in Belgium saying around 10-12k each time. Hymer tend to offer the biggest savings with current exchange rates still probably save getting on for 10k on a new one, in your price range you will probably save 5-8k above the best price you could negotiate in the UK. Much easier buying aboard dealers are more up front and often give you their best price straight away and give you the discount on extras as well.
    If buying new some dealers will sell VAT free and you pay the UK VAT, other take a separate payment which they refund once UK VAT is paid, worst case is you pay the VAT in country of purchase then pay UK VAT and claim back VAT from other country. No VAT liability if vehicle is over 6 months old or done more than 6000 km.
    Most German vans have a pan European warranty, I take mine to my local UK dealer always been very helpful.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1