Free Member
Oct 16, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Granvia
Exp
3 years
Hello found lots of useful info on this forum - ideal for a new Motorhomer!
Can anybody point me in the direction of some advice regarding a motorhome we are looking at? It's based on a LWB 245 Ducato 18Q with an M15 2800 jtd engine and has an ALKO rear chassis and air 'suspension' chambers above the rear axle.
Would this be the chassis that has the rear handbrake problems that I read about here?
What other things should I look out for engine wise (only done very low miles since 2005). Did these have any gearbox problems like later versions?
Any idea what I could expect mpg wise (plated at 3500kg) don't know if it's the 146 or 125hp engine (how do you tell?).
Can an home mechanic work on these or have you got to plug it in to a computer for everything?
Many thanks hope one of the Fiat experts could give me some advice.
(PS what are Adria like build wise - looks OK from the outside and inside v.good)

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Hi,

Are you sure it is an ALKO chassis? You describe the air suspension units as being "above" the rear axle, this would imply to me a normal Fiat chassis. An ALKO rear axle is a fixed torsion bar with swinging arms attaching the wheel. I think the confusion may be that the Adria used to have chassis extensions fitted by ALKO but it was not an ALKO chassis.

The 2.8jtd did not suffer from the reverse judder.

I had an Adria 650sp 2005 vintage and the build quality was super much better than UK built vans of that time.

Hope this helps

John

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I agree with lunarman, air on alko chassis is usually on the side. Check out my before & after pics, if it looks like that set up its a fiat chassis.
Anyway the handbrake problems are on those with tag/double rear axles.
Adria are well built with good quality fittings.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Not sure I quite understand the van you are buying,

But Im asuming its an Adria Coral 2005 old shape Ducato 2.8 JTD.

If so, As others have said, I would be surprised if it's on an Alko chasis. Ours was fitted with air suspension and I think that was a standard for the coral range of that time.

I owned an Adria Coral 670sk for 3.5 years. That too was on a 2.8 Ducato LWB.

First things first, Great build quality, much better than my far more expensive current van. Solid as a rock and stood the test of kids and large Newfoundland dog. Only changes as Kids grew and didn't want too come with us any more so we fancied a new layout.

We had ours uprated from a 3500 to 4250 in order to increase the payload. This was a simple task carried out by SV tech. Without the upgrade the payload was poor for a family of 4 (two being teenagers)

As for working on? the engine was remapped, it was pretty bulletproof anyway, changing consumables was simple and everything easy to get too. Had a cambelt change in the garage for about £230

Alll in all though, a great van, and would not hesitate to have another adria if we could find a suitable one for our needs. :thumb:

OP
OP
T

toyogran

Free Member
Oct 16, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Granvia
Exp
3 years
Buying 2.8jtd Adria

A big thank you to all for your fast responses.
I think John has answered my query re the ALKO chassis. Yes, it is the extension bit that is the ALKO part and wrongly assumed it was all by alko. So that sorts the handbrake 'problem'.
Going for another look and drive later in the week but must admit I was impressed by the build quality and certainly better than a Burstner we tested (sounded like the percussion section of an orchestra in the back).
Where can I see Jay's pictures to which he refers; are they on this forum?
Thanks again for all the advice and sound like it should be a strong contender.
Will keep you posted.
Regards David

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Click on my funster name (JAY) on left, then public profile, then album (Before & After).

OP
OP
T

toyogran

Free Member
Oct 16, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Granvia
Exp
3 years
Buying 2.8jtd Adria

Thanks Jay. Yes it looks like your pics showing air assist bellows so no need to worry about the alko brakes! Taking my Fiat expert with me when I go for a test drive so he can check the mechanicals out.

OP
OP
T

toyogran

Free Member
Oct 16, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Granvia
Exp
3 years
Buying 2.8jtd Adria

Been to see the Adria again and had a good test drive on MWay and town driving.
No major problems but Italians must have small feet as distance between brake and accelerator pedals and steering column tube is pretty small and clutch pedal long way to the left! Lots of beans and started off in third no problem (by mistake).
Sump rusty but still intact. Are the rear brakes prone to squeeling or maybe just with standing a while? The cover plate of the clutch (visible through bottom of clutch bell housing?) looked very rusty is this anything to cause concern?
Apart from some big globs of Sikaflex sealant underneath around various entry and exit points of wires/pipes etc all looked in order. The only place I could see the wood ply floor was at the rear above the Alko chassis extensions and it looked in ok condition and no spongy bits. Is there any way of checking the main floor (before the Alko extension) without removing the interior vinyl?
On the roof there were some bits of mastic sealant that needed attention at the joins which looked like had been repaired with silicone at some time in the past.
Has 2 off Alko air 'bags' above rear leaf springs with 2 off pressure gauges mounted on side of passenger seat box with schrader connection to pump them up.
Should I get a FIAT CODE card with it for emergency starting? It has 2 flip-out transponder keys for ignition etc but have read somewhere that a CODE card is needed if all else fails?
Anyway thanks for the advice but any further info welcomed.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Yes you should get a code card. I would also check the Cambelt has been done. Check the exhaust for corrosion just before the furthest flange of the downpipe as they are a weak spot.

OP
OP
T

toyogran

Free Member
Oct 16, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Granvia
Exp
3 years
Bought the Adria!

Just to let you know we bought the Coral from Todd's.
Checked all the bits out and had a good test drive with my expert mech.
Very happy with it and been away a few times in it - no major problems mechanically and drives well. Amazed that it returned over 28mpg with careful driving!
Cooker doesn't regulate oven temp so lots of burnt pies but Todd's have it in hand. Can't fault their service, very helpful.
Thanks for the advice will let you know how it goes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back