Free Member
Jan 16, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
6 months
We are planning on buying an RV in May. We are now thinking of buying one in the USA travelling the USA for six months then shipping the RV here. We have looked up the tax implications etc but does any of you have any personal experience of this and or suggestions/knowledge etc.

Many thanks

Stella Oakey

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
There are quite a few people who have done this on this FUN site and I'm sure they will come along soon to answer all your questions. :thumb:

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi Stella
I did the same thing a few years ago and currently own a RV plus Jeep in the USA.
We are going back out in April for 3 months this will be our last trip as we will have done all 48 and want to do other things so will be selling up over there.
I have all the contacts and information you will ever need to set this up plus a fabulous RV & Jeep if you're interested.
Certainly worth doing as USA is an amazing country to tour and an RV is undoubtedly the best way to see it and the people we've met are the most friendly you could ever wish too meet.
If you pm me I will give you everything you'll need including how to set up a Montana LLC which will save you thousands in purchase tax.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Stella
I did the same thing a few years ago and currently own a RV plus Jeep in the USA.
We are going back out in April for 3 months this will be our last trip as we will have done all 48 and want to do other things so will be selling up over there.
I have all the contacts and information you will ever need to set this up plus a fabulous RV & Jeep if you're interested.
Certainly worth doing as USA is an amazing country to tour and an RV is undoubtedly the best way to see it and the people we've met are the most friendly you could ever wish too meet.
If you pm me I will give you everything you'll need including how to set up a Montana LLC which will save you thousands in purchase tax.:thumb:

I wish I'd have met you three years ago.

Jim
:Smile:

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
we looked into this a couple of yers ago but in the end bought a LHD in the UK. One thing to consider is if you use the van in the USA then you will have to pay tax on it.

Upvote 0

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
We are planning on buying an RV in May. We are now thinking of buying one in the USA travelling the USA for six months then shipping the RV here. We have looked up the tax implications etc but does any of you have any personal experience of this and or suggestions/knowledge etc.

Many thanks

Stella Oakey

:roflmto: Read my signature. ALL the information of how to buy and then ship back is on this forum. Just do a search of Importing and RV. Many have done it and have saved a fortune in the process along with having a great TOUR of the USA. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Goose

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I totally recommend John and Sandy White's detailed "how to import an RV" located elsewhere in this forum. They've given you everything you need to know and how to do it.

You won't have to pay any sales taxes that might be associated with the US state where you purchase the RV (they all have their own sales tax and some like Oregon have none) if you register the vehicle in the name of a Montanna LLC. It will cost you around $1200 to set up the LLC.

You need to bear in mind that it is not simply a case of touring the USA for 6 months for you to qualify for zero UK import duries and zero VAT. You need to have been "living" out of the EU area for 12 months. Look into the definition of "living" outside the EU - it means essentially having your main home and place of business outside the EU. This isn't necessarily as difficult to achieve as it might seem but you should investigate.

As for the financial benefits of doing what you propose to do...if you're going to do it correctly and "live" away from the EU for 12 months and have owned the RV for 6 months prior to your return to the UK then, I think, it is financially beneficial.

But, because the pound has deteriorated so much against the dollar recently, it makes little sense to bring an RV back to the UK and pay the import duty and VAT which essentially add around 30% to your initial cost.

We're in Canada and were going to tour the USA for 6 months and qualify for the VAT and import duty waiver when importing it to the UK, but have decided against it. Don't want to tour the USA for 6 months. We want to tour Europe so we've decided to buy European instead of a big ol' thirsty American RV.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back