Buttons Boobed

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by laneside, Nov 5, 2010.

1. laneside

laneside Funster

Only this week he said we would be all alone and lonely motorhoming in Devon and Cornwall at this time of the year

Well look at the picture, its an old quarry just outside of Minehead we got here just after lunch and took the last available spot. If I had faced the other way there is a similar amount of vehicles.

I know its not quite Devon its Somerset but just goes to show either Buttons is wrong or the times they are a changing.

Incidently never been to Minehead before it is possibly the least annoying seaside town we have been to with pleasant beaches and equally pleasant forest walks. The journey from junction 24 on the M5 to here is also very pleasant albeit a bit twisty

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  2. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Hi Alan is it a club site?

3. laneside

laneside Funster

Hi Ken and Steph

Yes it is the caravan club site at Minehead just a mile and half walk to the town and beach and similar to heathland and forest

It is a whacking £12.50 per night but Lynda said I smelled and needed a proper shower.

Alan

4. dshague

dshague Funster

looking at site it looks ok .:thumb::

5. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Hee hee thanks Alan not too bad a price for a main site with leccie n showers:thumb:

6. Swisstony

Swisstony Read Only Funster

....And not forgetting Dunster.:Smile:

7. Swisstony

Swisstony Read Only Funster

PS...........We stayed at this site about a month ago, and as beginners, learnt just how annoying it can be if someones 'Van alarm goes off at just past 3:00am!:Doh:

8. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

We were down that way Sept / Oct. The CC club sites looked busy but we just used CL's many of which were empty and £4 or £5 per night. Some great CL's down that way although they may be a bit boggy by now if there has been a lot of rain.

9. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

As the big sites close down for the winter, the ones that remain open will remain busy, while the CLs/CSs will be quiet.

Location is important too of course, hence Minehead - in October Corfe Castle was full when I visited while California Cross (in the middle of nowhere south of Dartmoor, narrow access roads in all directions) was almost empty. Both are C&CC.

10. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

Taunton is not that far from there

When we had some work done by VanBitz we visited Minehead.. giving Cornish Farm a plug here.. they have a very agreeable site in Taunton with great facilities.. Have stayed a few times now while having work done on the RV.. it is a commerical site 4 penant if I am correct and a good touring base..

Bob:thumb:

11. Mandaxxx

Mandaxxx Read Only Funster

Minehead always reminds me of France! Lovely area, Watchet, Dunster....they are all nice round that area, Lynton & Lynmouth with the lift, fantastic. We have to go to St Davids to get our winter bedding & clothing then we are off to Somerset/Dorset/Devon etc.. Think we will be near Looe for Xmas.:thumb:

12. slobadoberbob

near Looe

Years ago I used to take my A class RV to Killigath Manor just outside Looe, nice site and I could get in and out with a bit of care. Love looe, have not been there for a long time.. perhaps I may again.

Bob:RollEyes:

13. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Twas at Minehead my kids ( as was ! ) saw dolphins for the first time
    We were standing on Quat Street along by the harbour when suddenly 4 or 5 appeared very close to the shore..
    You also get whales in the estuary sometimes.. def worth a look anyway ..
    Actually, on a clear day, you also get Wales ( but that is not quite so exciting )

14. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Need a thrill?

Take a drive from Minehead to Lynton thro Porlock, make sure you're wearing brown troos. Even better do it when it's foggy.

15. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

And take the walk to Culbone Church reputedly the smallest in England, don't know if there is still a hut with tea and coffee on offer when you get there.

16. slobadoberbob

is that the road that just makes a sudden dive down with no notice

Is that the back road that suddenly dives down without any notice a dead drop in to a hollow? done that in a car, hate to try it in an RV.

Bob:Eeek:

17. buttons

buttons Funster

Hi Laneside. I only just picked up this thread as we flew in from Cyprus last night, the weather in Cyprus was unseasonably dry and hot 35c :sin:we managed a great sun tan had a great time, our All Inclusive hotel :Cool:was brilliant and I must have put on a stone and will take a week to sober up. :wine:
    Glad to hear you are having a good time Minedhead :rain: it is a great place to visit during the hot summer weeks, are you sure all those vans are not in cold storage for the winter, looks very quiet to me.
    Hope you don’t get caught up in the floods of Cornwall, front wheel drive,:driving2: you could soon loose traction and it could be March before anyone passes by and finds you there. :Laughing:

18. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Remember doing Porlock with my mum and dad when I was a very small child.. Motorbike and side car !! We did make it up but I remember seeing cars at the side of the road that didn't :RollEyes:

19. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

We haven't been that way in the motorhome but it's next on the list.

Remember about 20 years ago along A39 we took a turn to avoid Porlock Hill and the road got narrower the further we went and we finally came out to see a sign behind us saying "Unsuitable For Motorists" :Doh:

20. laneside

laneside Funster

If anyone that is not adverse to paying site fees is going that way then the nicest Caravan Club site we have ever been on was the Brixham one.

It is laid out so well and private with many sea views, the bus to Torquay and other places stops outside the gate.

In season there is a bar and swimming pool and nice walks to Dartmouth which is ever so pretty.

Out of season it was £15.00 per night but may be a bit pricey in mid season