butane or propane?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by stevenboyce, Apr 6, 2012.

1. stevenboyce

stevenboyce Read Only Funster

Our connector is blue and has butane written on it but i've just read on a different post that propane is better?

Whats the difference and what should i buy?

many thanks in advance

steve

2. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Butane freezes in winter. :thumb:

3. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

butane stops gassing properly at around 5 degrees while propane still gasses down into minus temperatures.
    Butane is in a blue bottle, and propane is in a red/orange colour bottle, depending on your camper and its age you might need to use a different regulator for propane which you can use all year round rather than keep swopping from butane to propane

4. Malcolm Bolt

Malcolm Bolt Funster Life Member

both good

What you buy depends on when where you will be using it. Propane is your only choice if you will be in very cold conditions, Butane is great if you don't. Butane liquid tends to 'gell' if the temperature is low and at that point does not readily turn to gas. (It's the temperature of the contents of the bottle that matters not the temperature of the air outside)

If you are using butane now then I reckon you will get through to autumn with it at least - cos we all now the temperature is only going to go up :Rofl1::Rofl1:

Regards - enjoy

5. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i normally use butane all year .i havent had it stop working for years .
    i use it right through the winter .not this year i stayed here. hee hee.
    butane works lovely in spain n maroc .

6. stevenboyce

stevenboyce Read Only Funster

thanks everyone, i'll buy some butane and replace it with propane in the winter.

7. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Sounds as if the regulator (blue) is on the bottle end of your hose, in which case you will need to change it for a propane regulator (red) before you can use propane.

Like this ;

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gas-Regulator-Propane-37mbar-Screw/dp/B001GYVEG8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333747367&sr=8-1[/ame]

8. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Butane burns hotter. I have a butane camping stove which I use for frying stuff outside the van which cooks and boils far faster than the propane one inside.

Propane has better availability in the UK. Propane works to lower temperatures.

So if you are in the UK in winter or colder climes then propane is the best choice.

If you are only using it in the summer in the uk or are traveling to warmer climbs and have confirmed supplies then butane is better as it burns hotter.

You can of course swap tanks by the season if staying in the UK or colder but I can't be arsed messing about like that...

9. autoswan

autoswan Funster

The propane valve on mine has been disconnected on a joint lower down the copper pipe, and a rubber pipe fitted with a jubilee clip fixing it to the copper pipe with a connector fitted the other end of rubber pipe for butane use. so it can be swopped for propane or butane gas use.