Burstner Seats - armrests (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2010
Hi, I have a 2003 Burstner 660 and we are getting all the seats re-upholstered this month in leather.
However, I have a small problem. I thought that before the seats were collected i'd tackle the arm rests & improve them as they were all different degrees of 'stiff .... to .... floppy' (no puns please ::bigsmile: )
However, that does not seem easily done .... as the arm rests are held in place by a nut through which a cotter pin holds the nut in place, this is designed to prevent the nut coming loose through the normal arm rest up & down motion.
Playing with the adjustment of this nut, I achieve an arm rest that is really tight or an arm rest thats is loose ?
Unfortunately, I cannot remove the arm rest ..... it appears that the mechanism must be released from inside the back of the seat & the nut on the outside is for adjustment only ? :wub: I presume that when the seat is re-upholstered this will give access to the arm rest fixing & they can be removed.

My problem is; I think the arm rest internal mechanisms have worn with age and that the 'floppyness' of the arm rest is due to worn parts. (there are steel bars that run through nylon spacers / sockets ... & they look worn / mis-shapen )
I am worried that the seats after re-upholstering will be let down by the 'worn' arm rests & i'll be disappointed with the outcome. ( the arm rests will only get worse over the next 5 - 10 years !)

So, my options are ......
1.) investigate whether it is possible to get new arm rest mechanisms ? & fit before re-upholstered
2.) dispense with the arm rests & re-upholster seat without arm rests
3.) buy new seats ?

1.) unlikely to find ? could be expensive .... possibly could get 2nd hand ?
2.) zero cost ...... no delays
3.) EXPENSIVE ?

I am tending towards Option 2. ...... Any other ideas anyone ? :think:
IMG_5803.JPG
IMG_6155.JPG
IMG_6152.JPG
FullSizeRender-3 2.jpg

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you remove the pinned nut presumably the adjuster is engaged in a part of the bar and prevents the rest being removed? It's unlikely that it is held from within the seat back. Is there a slot or other access into the arm from its upper surface? Until you remove the armrest you won't know what is worn or damaged. I'd be unhappy to lose mine.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I seem to remember an allen key screw in the arm pivot that came adrift in my T660, as I remember you have to push the upholstery on the sides back?

I would not dispense with arms they make the seat into a proper comfortable 'arm' chair

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
If you fold the backs of the seats down onto the base as far as possible and look at the bottom edge I expect you will find the zip or hand stitched seam that closes the seat back upholstery and provides access to any internals on the arm rests.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just to be pedantic......thats a roll pin, and you need a very close fitting drift to remove it or it will spread open and peen over making it almost impossible to remove.
a cotter pin is tapered with a securing/tightening nut, as in a bicycle pedal.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They look like Fiat seats as you look like you plan to keep the van for a few years I would bite the bullet and buy some decent seats like Aguti seats, you won't regret it.

OP
OP
iceclimber
Jan 19, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2010
They look like Fiat seats as you look like you plan to keep the van for a few years I would bite the bullet and buy some decent seats like Aguti seats, you won't regret it.

thanks, but ...... they are actually Aguti Liner seats (dated 2002)

I'll contact TEK seating on Tuesday to see what they can suggest / offer ?

FullSizeRender-5.jpg

OP
OP
iceclimber
Jan 19, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2010
just to be pedantic......thats a roll pin, and you need a very close fitting drift to remove it or it will spread open and peen over making it almost impossible to remove.
a cotter pin is tapered with a securing/tightening nut, as in a bicycle pedal.

yep thanks, I couldn't remember the name of the 'pin' & you are correct about removing them !! ..... I was ok on 3 of the threads BUT buggered up 1 of the threads :cry:

OP
OP
iceclimber
Jan 19, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2010
If you fold the backs of the seats down onto the base as far as possible and look at the bottom edge I expect you will find the zip or hand stitched seam that closes the seat back upholstery and provides access to any internals on the arm rests.

thanks .... I removed seat base and folded seat fully to get access to the bottom of the back & no zip / no seam BUT there is a plastic clip arrangement across the full length; lots of pressure on it (as to be expected) for which I am sure there is a correct technique for parting the clip .... I had a dabble at it but I don't want to ruin the clip by bending it or something similar ?

IMG_6167.JPG
IMG_6168.JPG

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
Have you tried using a shim washer or two under the nut ?
Say about 10 thou thick

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
thanks, but ...... they are actually Aguti Liner seats (dated 2002)

I'll contact TEK seating on Tuesday to see what they can suggest / offer ?

View attachment 140089
Sorry for the insult didn't look like them to me. Worth contacting Aguti see what they say.

OP
OP
iceclimber
Jan 19, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2010
So, I contacted Aguti through the UK distributers & guess what .... after 7 weeks ...... No reply :cautious:

So the seats have now been re-upholstered without the arm rests ..... & they do look really good & sleek. (the armrests can always be retrofitted in the future if so ever needed)

I will post re-upholstery results separately in the appropriate section. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back