Burstner Owners (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
the fresh water tank in our Burstner, has a very small leak around the large red inspection cap, which is on the side of the water tank.
There is a foam washer/seal that doesn't seem to want to seal it. It releases a small bead of water which can then drop down onto the van floor.
Have taken the red cap off and re-seated the foam seal and replaced several times, but with no joy. The dealer did put a new seal in, which did work initially, but then after a couple of days, the inevitable drip re-appeared.
Firstly, is there a better type of seal to use rather than a foam one? If so has anyone tried one?
Where can I get spare seals from. Looked on the South Downs on-line shop site, but don't see one listed.
This is not a major problem, but just one of those simple but annoying issues that just can drive you round the bend!
Anyone else experienced the same problem?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our tank (2003 t625 Harmony) has the inspection cap on the top so less chance of a problem for a start I suppose. I've just checked and it is a male cap (screws into, rather than onto, the tank) with a rubber seal. I'm surprised yours isn't a rubber seal.
Camper UK list a couple of seals Here.

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Nigel, we have the same problem with a similar model Burstner. It will have the same tank as yours. We have the same leak and put a rolled up microfibre cloth underneath the tank. We have just had the seal replaced but think it still leaks a little. Have a look at the seating surfaces on the red "plug" and also the tank. I haven't fully resolved the problem yet as I hoped a new seal would sort it but seems it doesn't. I often travel with the tank level below this point. The majority of the tank capacity is below this point anyway (notice how long it takes to fill the first few inches, then no time at all for the last 8 to 10 inches).

As a point of interest have you used you grill for any length of time? we had no end of trouble keeping it lit for longer than 5 minutes!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nigel L
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks GJH, that looks exactly like the one fitted in ours. Yes, ours is a foam seal, and I think what is happening is that as you tighten the cap, the foam twists and so dosen't form a tight seal. I think that a rubber one would be much better and durable. Will order one and give it a try.
As you can see, a good old bit of trusty gaffer tape positioned to divert any drips to outside the van, as opposed to dropping into the floor area:)
image.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nigel L
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Nigel, we have the same problem with a similar model Burstner. It will have the same tank as yours. We have the same leak and put a rolled up microfibre cloth underneath the tank. We have just had the seal replaced but think it still leaks a little. Have a look at the seating surfaces on the red "plug" and also the tank. I haven't fully resolved the problem yet as I hoped a new seal would sort it but seems it doesn't. I often travel with the tank level below this point. The majority of the tank capacity is below this point anyway (notice how long it takes to fill the first few inches, then no time at all for the last 8 to 10 inches).

As a point of interest have you used you grill for any length of time? we had no end of trouble keeping it lit for longer than 5 minutes!

SteveC, oh yes, the grill bar fell off ours when we picked the new van up from the dealers. They took another oven out a another new van and put in ours to get us on our way, and guess what, that one didn't work either!!
We are now awaiting a new oven from Dometic. Have to say the dealers have been really helpful over it. (Heart of England).
Looks like there is an issue with the ovens.

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Dometic know about the problem. We had a Dometic engineer out to look at ours and he said they have issued a fix which is just a bodge really. Our burner bar eventually fell out recently too. Sorted by Southdowns on our recent trip down there. Been back a day and now a spring in the toilet door handle has broken so the door doesn't close! The workshop at Southdowns have been really helpful too.

Nigel, I think you may be trapping the water inside the door seal unless there is a gap in the bottom of the seal rubber to let it out.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks GJH, that looks exactly like the one fitted in ours. Yes, ours is a foam seal, and I think what is happening is that as you tighten the cap, the foam twists and so dosen't form a tight seal. I think that a rubber one would be much better and durable. Will order one and give it a try.
As you can see, a good old bit of trusty gaffer tape positioned to divert any drips to outside the van, as opposed to dropping into the floor area:)
View attachment 121173
Could try a bit of Vaseline on the seal.

Martin

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner lysoe 744
Exp
I know this is an old thread but we have the same problem. A small drop from the red cap. Did you resolve the situation. If so can I have the info. Many thanks

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Go to the plumbers merchant and get a tube of fernox lsx leak sealer a type of liquid non setting silicone in a tube. Guaranteed fix and the cap will still undo
Exactly what I was going to say and yes I have sealed a few of these water tank inspection hatches with LSX myself in the past .
Always keep a tube in the van as well ?

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner lysoe 744
Exp
Thanks. That's great.

Upvote 0

Mr Rusty

Free Member
Apr 13, 2012
Bedford
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Since 1986
I have the same problem and even tried using a rubber seal instead of the foam one but the damn thing still leaked. Pardon the ignorance in how to use the LSX product, can I assume you just smear the gasket in it before screwing the red cap in place or are you replacing the gasket with the LSX?

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
I have the same problem and even tried using a rubber seal instead of the foam one but the damn thing still leaked. Pardon the ignorance in how to use the LSX product, can I assume you just smear the gasket in it before screwing the red cap in place or are you replacing the gasket with the LSX?
Hi yes LSX is a silicone sealer so you leave the rubber gasket or O ring in place and just apply a nice bead on to the gasket and possibly some on the cap before putting the gasket on .
Screw down reasonably tight and it’s done .
Certainly works for me .

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
As one of the original contributors to this post our seal seems to be holding. However I still have a piece of gaffer tape under the seal to divert any water as well as a cloth at the bottom of the tank. Belt and braces!

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
As one of the original contributors to this post our seal seems to be holding. However I still have a piece of gaffer tape under the seal to divert any water as well as a cloth at the bottom of the tank. Belt and braces!
I have had several different vans where the inspection cap has leaked when the tank is completely full ⚠️??
Amazingly many owners on a different group say they never fill up with water completely, as we mainly camp away from sites that would render our van totally unusable.
People are funny ?⚠️

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have the same red cap on the side of the tank but ours came with a rubber seal. I have undone the cap a couple of times to clean the tank ( though it was never dirty inside) and it has resealed perfectly.
We always travel with a full tank even if we decide to stop on a campsite ( which we only ever do in the U.K. ) and there have been no leaks.

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
We have the same red cap on the side of the tank but ours came with a rubber seal. I have undone the cap a couple of times to clean the tank ( though it was never dirty inside) and it has resealed perfectly.
We always travel with a full tank even if we decide to stop on a campsite ( which we only ever do in the U.K. ) and there have been no leaks.
There’s always one ??

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Thread. On Facebook days a 120mm X 5mm o ring off eBay..

Being the owner of an Elegance my tank is mounted up the right way with the red cap on top. ??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190911_135502_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    Screenshot_20190911_135502_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20190911_135448_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    Screenshot_20190911_135448_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 0

Mr Rusty

Free Member
Apr 13, 2012
Bedford
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Since 1986
I bought a rubber ring off eBay to try but the thing still leaked. I will try LSX - thanks for the tip.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2019
Durham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Try just putting a thin layer of Vaseline on both sides of the seal.

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 728
Exp
Since 1995
If you've got one of these tanks, you might want to consider swapping the filler cap for one of these.

Amazon product ASIN B088GVLT88
Just attach your hose via a standard push fit connector and no messing around waiting for it to fill
Already done that and agree it’s a nice addition. Also made a matching bung to plug on when I have finished filling up.

I have also added a motorised grey water dump valve with dual controls in the water tank locker and on the dashboard... very handy.

I’m planning to add a waste camera soon so that I can position the van and dump the waste without even leaving the driver’s seat 😀

Upvote 0

Mr Rusty

Free Member
Apr 13, 2012
Bedford
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Since 1986
Stealaway - tried the rubber O ring (bought one off eBay) and it still leaked.

pxh38257 - tried Vaseline and it works for a few days but after a week or so of the tank emptying and being filled it started to leak again.

I even got my dealer to provide me with a new Burstner seal but no luck.

Also this is the second Burstner I have owned with this type of tank and both have leaked. I have to say it is not much of a leak and I have the gaffer tape ‘fix’ between the tank and the door frame, so at least the locker floor doesn’t get wet anymore, but it is annoying.

Only thing I have tried that has worked is the LSX as mentioned by Basildon.

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 728
Exp
Since 1995
That
I've just bought one of these.
I've not had chance to fit it yet but I hope it does the trick.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=372743295344

That should work a treat if you make sure it’s tightly sealed.

Also, look out for any scratches on the mating surface of the tank. Mine had a few scratches which I think were probably made during manufacture when the centre of the fill hole was cut out. These will need removing with an abrasive polish. I think I used T Cut to get rid of mine but don’t let any get inside the tank!

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
pxh38257 - tried Vaseline and it works for a few days but after a week or so of the tank emptying and being filled it started to leak again.

Bit confused by the reference to emptying and being filled as we only undo ours now and again for a deep clean. We use another container for drinking water which is much easier. Perhaps you use yours for everything?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back