Burstner Owners

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Nigel L, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Nigel L

Nigel L Funster

the fresh water tank in our Burstner, has a very small leak around the large red inspection cap, which is on the side of the water tank.
    There is a foam washer/seal that doesn't seem to want to seal it. It releases a small bead of water which can then drop down onto the van floor.
    Have taken the red cap off and re-seated the foam seal and replaced several times, but with no joy. The dealer did put a new seal in, which did work initially, but then after a couple of days, the inevitable drip re-appeared.
    Firstly, is there a better type of seal to use rather than a foam one? If so has anyone tried one?
    Where can I get spare seals from. Looked on the South Downs on-line shop site, but don't see one listed.
    This is not a major problem, but just one of those simple but annoying issues that just can drive you round the bend!
    Anyone else experienced the same problem?

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Our tank (2003 t625 Harmony) has the inspection cap on the top so less chance of a problem for a start I suppose. I've just checked and it is a male cap (screws into, rather than onto, the tank) with a rubber seal. I'm surprised yours isn't a rubber seal.
    Camper UK list a couple of seals Here.

3. stevec

stevec Funster

Nigel, we have the same problem with a similar model Burstner. It will have the same tank as yours. We have the same leak and put a rolled up microfibre cloth underneath the tank. We have just had the seal replaced but think it still leaks a little. Have a look at the seating surfaces on the red "plug" and also the tank. I haven't fully resolved the problem yet as I hoped a new seal would sort it but seems it doesn't. I often travel with the tank level below this point. The majority of the tank capacity is below this point anyway (notice how long it takes to fill the first few inches, then no time at all for the last 8 to 10 inches).

As a point of interest have you used you grill for any length of time? we had no end of trouble keeping it lit for longer than 5 minutes!

4. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Wrap a load of PTFE plumbers tape around the thread before doing it up - tends to work.

5. Nigel L

Nigel L Funster

Thanks GJH, that looks exactly like the one fitted in ours. Yes, ours is a foam seal, and I think what is happening is that as you tighten the cap, the foam twists and so dosen't form a tight seal. I think that a rubber one would be much better and durable. Will order one and give it a try.
    As you can see, a good old bit of trusty gaffer tape positioned to divert any drips to outside the van, as opposed to dropping into the floor area:)
    image.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Nigel L

Nigel L Funster

SteveC, oh yes, the grill bar fell off ours when we picked the new van up from the dealers. They took another oven out a another new van and put in ours to get us on our way, and guess what, that one didn't work either!!
    We are now awaiting a new oven from Dometic. Have to say the dealers have been really helpful over it. (Heart of England).
    Looks like there is an issue with the ovens.

• Like Like x 1
  7. stevec

stevec Funster

Dometic know about the problem. We had a Dometic engineer out to look at ours and he said they have issued a fix which is just a bodge really. Our burner bar eventually fell out recently too. Sorted by Southdowns on our recent trip down there. Been back a day and now a spring in the toilet door handle has broken so the door doesn't close! The workshop at Southdowns have been really helpful too.

Nigel, I think you may be trapping the water inside the door seal unless there is a gap in the bottom of the seal rubber to let it out.

8. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Could try a bit of Vaseline on the seal.

Martin

9. dulvil

dulvil Funster

Go to the plumbers merchant and get a tube of fernox lsx leak sealer a type of liquid non setting silicone in a tube. Guaranteed fix and the cap will still undo

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1