Burstner Import

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by sussexlad, Apr 1, 2016.

1. sussexlad

sussexlad Funster

Almost exactly 6 months after our order we are picking up our new Burstner from Palmowski in Germany in 10 days time. It's very exciting times but as has been mentioned before when you drive the MH home you are on German export plates which provide third party insurance only whilst on the European leg of the journey.

I know some question whether it's worth paying the extra but I would prefer it if possible as long as the cost is not extortionate.

I thought I had arranged this cover as part of my UK comprehensive policy but they have changed their mind. I have tried all the options that I have found on the net and I am just left waiting for a reply from Alessie.com in Holland.

Has anybody else had success arranging this cover and if so who?

Thanks.

2. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Most dont bother...its a short hop to calas, just use your head. Don't drive at night, be extra vigilant. Don't drive during rush hour keep your distance and you will be fine...have done it many times. We even turn the return into a short mini break having a few overnights :)

3. sussexlad

sussexlad Funster

You are probably right Eddie, but if it is possible and the premium is not too bad it would be a nice to have. I have "saved" circa £15,000 with the import so a few hundred euros on this insurance will hardly be a disaster!

I will update the thread when I get an answer from Holland.

Actually one extra question. I am talking to Fiat Professional about the few changes required to make it conform to UK spec. Does anybody know if it really does need new RHD Headlights or can you adjust the bulbs on the headlights it comes with?

Thanks
    Andy

4. bellabee

bellabee Funster

Actually one extra question. I am talking to Fiat Professional about the few changes required to make it conform to UK spec. Does anybody know if it really does need new RHD Headlights or can you adjust the bulbs on the headlights it comes with?

Thanks
    Andy[/QUOTE]

If it's an A Class, you may be able to adjust the headlights, but if it's coach built, you'll need new RHD headlights.

As far as the insurance is concerned, I'm with the Judge. Drive carefully, and you'll be fine.

Enjoy your trip - and your new van!

• Like Like x 1
  5. ANDY400R

ANDY400R Funster

I took out cover last month for my N&B Arto coming back from Strasbourg France, but it is ridiculously expensive. Like you I thought the savings I was making on the import meant I wasn't so concerned about the cost and I was looking at the worst case scenario of total loss of around £90000. I took a very large excess to reduce the premium by about 50% but still expensive.
    After extensive research I could only find one company prepared to offer it, Price Forbes and this is the underwriters email if you want to contact them.
    mollywilson@priceforbes.com
    Andy...

• Like Like x 2
  6. sussexlad

sussexlad Funster

Thanks for your reply bellabee, it is a C Class so I will change the headlights keeping the originals.

Thanks also ANDY400R, I have already been in touch with Molly at Price Forbes and unfortunately they are currently out of the market whilst renegotiating their facility with the provider they use.

I had similar concerns about cost after speaking to Maria Alessie in Holland. I am anticipating an offer of cover but maybe at a cost that I will find it hard to justify paying, but you raise an excellent point about increasing the excess.

7. Judge Mental

Andy situation a bit different I believe ? As more complicated as using in France they don't offer the 3 party export insurance option as in Germany. Should have bought in Belgium if nervous as dealers happy to drive vans to port. Any dealer will do like wise for a fee. Last German quote I got for someone was 400 euro.

As for changes cheaper to get it done in Germany by dealer..why best to use one exprienced in exporting. Makes it quicker when you get home for registration as well. ..loads of old threads covering this....

• Like Like x 1
  8. Adbt

Adbt Funster

I take it this is an April fool ?
    If being vigilant was enough why not be vigilant in the UK and only insure your MH 3rd party here ?
    Bad advise
    Awaits smartarse but ultimately ludicrous reaction .............................

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Borrow some headlights, my friend bought his Westphalia and he had to change his so he bought some then changed them back afterwards to go abroad with it.

10. Judge Mental

Thousands ae imported this way yearly all over europe:rolleyes: as for your rudeness I couldn't give a toss. I have imported 19 vehicles this way for over 25 years and every one else I know likewise. I already explain that dealer will deliver if your a nervous WOS so your insults unnessesary.....

• Like Like x 2
  11. Adbt

Adbt Funster

Rudeness and insults ? We are a sensitive soul today aren't we ! :D

Just because you and your mates have been lucky don't mean it's right. , get your hand in your pocket and insure the motorhome .......PROPERLY. (y)

P.S Its WUSS btw ! :cool:

12. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

Out of interest how many vehicles have you imported from the EU? Share your knowledge of insurance companies willing to insure on a VIN that you must use based on your assertions?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. sallylillian

You can try NFU at Louth, they insured me on a VIN fully comp from the day I paid the invoice, but I understand that they are not offering this to new clients. maybe a sweetener of offering other insurance like home other cars etc may sway them?

14. Judge Mental

Your the one with attiude..... i made general coments anout the type ypu represent wiyh your lack of knowledge..

Waste of space.....wos thanks + making fun of spelling is a ban I believe

Stick with the little you know eh? Why someone who drives a brit van even bothered to come in to this is beyond me...helpful? I think not

15. Adbt

Adbt Funster

None but when I do I ( Burstner Argos is on my wish list ) I will make damn sure I don't trust to luck when I drive it home and believe me I will find a way of fully insuring the vehicle. Research and the willingness to spend a couple of quid should do it (y)

16. bellabee

bellabee Funster

PS. It's 'doesn't', BTW

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Adbt

Adbt Funster

Chill man , chill :D

18. Judge Mental

You don't have to.....dealer will deliver as already explained 3 times:rolleyes:. Do you want to get back into bed and get out the otherside perhaps? I happen to know a very experienced burstner dealer 4 hrs from Calais that does all the changes at cost price:censored:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  19. sallylillian

Just the 2 Quid, that will be interesting. Getting Fully Comp on a VIN only is very very difficult, however one has to admire your naive confidence, I am sure your comments in this thread will illicit loads of help when and IF you ever get round to importing.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Judge Mental

Don't pull that nonsense thinking by adding a smilly you think your opening gambit acceptable. Empty vessels or what!!

• Like Like x 1