Burstner Elegance under 12 rear seatbelts (1 Viewer)

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
I've been considering buying second hand Burstner Elegance. Quick look at spec and been in one to see it has 2 rear seat belts. I was surprised this morning to read in another sellers description that the 2 rear seat belts are only legal for kids under 12. Does anyone know if this is this correct?

If I bought one, two grandkids under those ages would be using the seatbelts, but I would have liked the flexibility of 2 adults being able to use them.

Thanks

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
We have a Burstner Elegance with the two belted seats in rear but have never used them and have never heard that they are for under 12's. Would be surprised if that is true. Thought if it was true there would have been a sticker or something to warn you about it.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Never heard of anything like that before. If it's manufacturer fitted then I thought a seatbelt is a seatbelt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
We have a Burstner Elegance with the two belted seats in rear but have never used them and have never heard that they are for under 12's. Would be surprised if that is true. Thought if it was true there would have been a sticker or something to warn you about it.

Thanks Mikey.. Do they look like, or have you tried to see if they fit 2 adults side by side?

OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Hang on! have I misinterpreted what was wrote? Did it mean that yes the seat belts are ok for adults, and yes the seat belts are legal for under 12's?

Even so I thought all seat belts are legal for under 12's as long as you have appropriate booster seat or proper childs seat for younger ones..

This is the text in the description "IN THE CENTRE YOU HAVE A BEAUTIFUL LIVING ENTERTAINING AREA WITH 2 FORWARD FACING SEAT BELTS LEGALLY ALLOWING YOU TO CARRY CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 12. "

Nov 23, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have a 2010 Elegance and it has 2 adult seat belts in the living area. The manual talks about needing child restraint systems for children under 13 years of age and smaller than 150cm. Presume this is either child seats or booster cushions, although we have never used them for children. We have used them for an adult with no issues. HTH Dave.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Am I right in thinking they're 3 point seat belts ?
I think the law states that children under 12 have to be sitting in seats wearing 3 pointed seat belts ,if fitted, to travel legally!
So the van is suitable for carrying young kids,of course adults can use the seats as well.If you didn't have belts it gets confusing as to legal or not depending on age of van etc .
Legal or not if the unforeseen did happen ,and you had unbelted passengers ,could you live with yourself?

Vlad

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sounds like a poorly written manual to be honest.
There are no AGE related restrictions ( apart from tiny tots ) on seat belts, only HEIGHT restrictions which as already mentioned are not a problem if the correct booster seats are used :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You need appropriate seats / booster cushions for children smaller than a certain height.

The belts are legal for adults (as long as they are over the minimum height of course).

We've had our grandson in a childseat in the dinette seats with me beside him. I wouldn't allow a very small child to travel without an adult beside them as the fixings don't seem as solid as in a car...... but that's probably just me.

Nov 23, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
They are 3 point belts in the living area of our Elegance.

I suspect the manual is a bit of a caThe manual does say that national regulations apply to seat belt fastening and it also discusses different classes of child restraint systems for different weights and ages of children, I guess to suit other countries.

OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
LOL.. You dont want to be buying grandkids.. each one is one less motorhome upgrade. Think id be on a Concorde Motorhome by now.. Grandkids are well expensive to run!!!!

OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Am I right in thinking they're 3 point seat belts ?
I think the law states that children under 12 have to be sitting in seats wearing 3 pointed seat belts ,if fitted, to travel legally!
So the van is suitable for carrying young kids,of course adults can use the seats as well.If you didn't have belts it gets confusing as to legal or not depending on age of van etc .
Legal or not if the unforeseen did happen ,and you had unbelted passengers ,could you live with yourself?

Vlad

Hi Impaler (love the name!!).. the unforseen would never happen to me, cos I'm buying my next motorhome based on seatbelts configuration (as my current one) hence the question. I know what you mean though as I'm seeing many comments on Facebook in particular of motorhomers asking for 'engineer types' to fit additional seatbelts. Its sort of the wrong way round isn't it. Getting enough seat belts should be a priority consideration and not an afterthought when buying a motorhome.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'm buying my next motorhome based on seatbelts configuration (as my current one) hence the question. I know what you mean though as I'm seeing many comments on Facebook in particular of motorhomers asking for 'engineer types' to fit additional seatbelts. Its sort of the wrong way round isn't it. Getting enough seat belts should be a priority consideration and not an afterthought when buying a motorhome.

Seat belts should NEVER be retrofitted.

Number of seatbealts was a non-negotiable item on our list when we went to look at motorhomes.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
You want some grandkids have mine, Free, and you have their kids as well thrown in as part of the package.

M

Madwife

Deleted User
We have a Burstner Elegance and the seat belts are suitable for adults and children (with appropriate booster seat if applicable). They are proper three point belts and would be suitable for use with even baby car seats.

Kath

mary newbe

Free Member
Jun 26, 2015
hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
traffic
Exp
firts year
were do you find out about seat belts I have a p reg traffic and only belts in the cab. and the seats at the rear are side facing

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We have a Burstner elegance and have travelled with 2 additional adults or 2 additional children in babyseat / bumper seats but no isofix just secured by 3 point belt. ..... I now know that our payload of 5000 kilos was too low to take the extra adults, you may be ok with lightweight children. It might be worth checking this too before you buy. Suppose it depends on the weight of any extras you are carrying ie Thule awning, spare wheel, Aircon. We are going to try and uprate ours after our next hol. I am hoping for another 200 kilo's without alteration but I havent rung SV tech yet.

mary newbe

Free Member
Jun 26, 2015
hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
traffic
Exp
firts year
thank you scotjimland that has been the best info I have been given since I got my motorhome I still have a lot to learn but it is fun.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back