Burrs Country Park CC site , warden from hell ............ (1 Viewer)

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Very well said indeed.

I'm sure the warden has a much easier time of things out of the busy season, and the display of a little compassion, if not humanity, should not be beyond his reach.

If only it was easier out if season. Not so many staff then so maybe less customers to check in/deal with but still the same cleaning to be done, and the grass still grows.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Perhaps. Not very clever when you have an employer to answer to and receive complaints about you though is it?

Although saying that my impression has always been that the CC money making machine couldn't give a flying stuff about customer service so on that basis he'll probably get a promotion :rolleyes:

But you don't have to answer to your employer when you are on your own time and there has not been a real emergency! Any complaints in this instance will certainly be ignored as they have absolutely no justification.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Who cares if he was having a bad day?

I don't think BigMomma was making an excuse. I agree, as a customer it's none of our business and we expect to be served professionally at all times regardless. However, he was telling us the reason for him being a bit sharp and that, IMO, given the circumstances was entirely understandable and forgivable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Goodness, this has all escalated to the point of silliness.
I guess all we can learn from this is:

Humans aren't telepathic
Communication is a great thing
... as is hindsight
A shake of hands goes a long way
... sharing a wine or beer goes further

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
But you don't have to answer to your employer when you are on your own time and there has not been a real emergency! Any complaints in this instance will certainly be ignored as they have absolutely no justification.

If he's answering the company bell or emergency phone or whatever he's representing the company, working hours or not, and should behave accordingly. If he didn't want, or didn't feel able, to do so he should have ignored the call.

I'm sure they will ignore any complaint but not because of no justification, more likely because they just don't care about customer service as I posted earlier.

Back when I had a role involving managing people who had direct customer contact, sometimes out of hours, this sort of complaint was taken incredibly seriously. No matter what the circumstances there would have been a severe bollocking involved. Something similar cost someone their job on one occasion I can remember.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If he's answering the company bell or emergency phone or whatever he's representing the company, working hours or not, and should behave accordingly. If he didn't want, or didn't feel able, to do so he should have ignored the call.

I'm sure they will ignore any complaint but not because of no justification, more likely because they just don't care about customer service as I posted earlier.

Back when I had a role involving managing people who had direct customer contact, sometimes out of hours, this sort of complaint was taken incredibly seriously. No matter what the circumstances there would have been a severe bollocking involved. Something similar cost someone their job on one occasion I can remember.
He didn't do anything wrong though, apart from maybe being a bit curt with the op, he answered the bell, there was no emergency everything just stopped as it was, end of story as they say.
By the way we never found out what the mhomers ended up doing, did they just stay where they were, have they now been allowed on, no one knows.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
He didn't do anything wrong though, apart from maybe being a bit curt with the op, he answered the bell, there was no emergency everything just stopped as it was, end of story as they say.
By the way we never found out what the mhomers ended up doing, did they just stay where they were, have they now been allowed on, no one knows.
@Adbt might know, but he's not posted since the OP

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
He didn't do anything wrong though, apart from maybe being a bit curt with the op

I'd probably agree based on what's been posted but sometimes that's all it takes. If you're a bit curt with the wrong person at the wrong time and they decide to make an issue of it then things can escalate quite quickly.

The lad we sacked was similar; I always thought it was something and nothing but he upset an important customer who wouldn't let it go so it cost him his job.

I guess the point is that you can never be sure who you're talking to. For all this warden knew it could have been a CC "mystery shopper" type of set up to test how he responds to such a situation. If that had been the case he would have failed rather miserably wouldn't he?

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
We have been to Burrs Park several times, always finding the wardens very helpful and pleasant. There are plenty of places adjacent to the CC site where the visitors could have parked free overnight. Maybe if the OP had realised ,he could have told the people that, and next day they could have booked on the site if they wanted more time in the area.

To the warden , my sympathies , if the expected result happened.
Cheers, Dave(y)

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
The circumstances were extenuating, and the warden certainly has my sympathy, but a little civility to a stranger in distress, is hardly asking too much.

How can he expect any sympathy for his own unfortunate circumstances when he displays such outright hostility to others?

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
The circumstances were extenuating, and the warden certainly has my sympathy, but a little civility to a stranger in distress, is hardly asking too much.

How can he expect any sympathy for his own unfortunate circumstances when he displays such outright hostility to others?

But we don't know if the stranger was in distress. He might have been quiet happy and set up ready for the night.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
But we don't know if the stranger was in distress. He might have been quiet happy and set up ready for the night.
Well that's my take on it, sounds as if he couldn't even be bothered to go to the warden with the op.
Really think the op took too much on themselves, and then took offence for something that no need of happened.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009

Hi.
My take on it is,there was a third party trying to short circuit the procedures,all was well until then,often the POO hits the fan,when someone not qualified tries to get involved. Gone are the days of when a swift clip around the ear would sufficer,so a sharp word has to make do,back to the procedures.
"This was not an EMERGENCY"........ NOT AN EMERGENCY!"
I stand by the warden,and as a member for 43 yrs. i will be in touch with the warden in the post,and come any "trouble",will be fighting their corner,with some past posts to prove a point.
Tea Bag.
PS. Lets bury this now,the facts are out there.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
If that had been the case he would have failed rather miserably wouldn't he?

Why, if you press a button marked "Emergency only" and it isn't, what do you expect? The warden to rush around going yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir.
When he was told it wasn't an emergency he should have said ok, turned around and gone back inside.
Alternatively he could have checked with the couple in the motorhome, ascertained they were fine till the morning, and then told the poster that pressing the emergency bell when their wasn't one, was against club rules, and he would like him to leave the site in the morning.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Why, if you press a button marked "Emergency only" and it isn't, what do you expect? The warden to rush around going yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir.
When he was told it wasn't an emergency he should have said ok, turned around and gone back inside.
Alternatively he could have checked with the couple in the motorhome, ascertained they were fine till the morning, and then told the poster that pressing the emergency bell when their wasn't one, was against club rules, and he would like him to leave the site in the morning.

I agree. Either of those would have been better than the rudeness described

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
"Rudeness " A lot of my friends will say to me if i disturb them at home. "Whats the reason for this visit ? It had better be a good one".So,no cause to be upset at the remark, "It had better be an emergency"as it can be an off the cuff response. My stock phrase,when friends/family come unannouced is. "I don't care what your selling,we don't want any"
The warden made an on the spot decision that no action was needed on his part,he was talking to the poster about the Slovacks should/may have planned better,so no need to withdraw the Ambassador from Slovakia.
These Border delays. The Slovakian has come hundreds of miles,through many countries,managed to get to Manchester area and has no plan B?.What is the Sllovak/Czech for,do you have any FLT's in Slovakia ? Never mind,a lot of the people from that area of the world can speak English.
Tea Bag

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
The OP suggests that the late arrivals area is through the barrier. Is this the case and if so why and how can it be used out of hours?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I arrived late once at Strathclyde CC
The late arrivals is outside the barrier.
I was going about setting up without disturbing the wardens
One of them saw me and waived me in, I regard that as their prerogative as they had finished work
They are not slaves and I would consider it downright rude to ask anything of them off duty

Btw I had booked

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I don't think anyone is suggesting that people must be subservient, whether during their working hours or in their own time.

Downright rudeness cuts both ways. It is possible to say "sorry, out of hours and not an emergency, so I can't help" without being offensive

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We cancelled our membership of the Caravan club because of the rudeness of their staff.

I suspect if it was the C&CC it would not have been a problem.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
It looks like their is a set of barriers before the LNA, I think you contact the warden via the phone on the post, and he opens them to let you into the LNA. If the guy was in the LNA already, the poster was well out of order pressing emergency button. If he wasn't why didn't he contact the warden to open the barriers in the normal way?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I think I can see what happened, if you look on the barrier their is a board telling you what to do to get the barrier lifted. The slovak rolls up in his motorhome and possibly he can't read English, the op walks by, asks him what the trouble is and being unaware of the procedure for opening the barrier presses the emergency button.
Possibly the motorhome was parked close to the barrier masking the sign and it was dark, whatever the reason he obviously didn't see it.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Seems all very strange to me. According to the site map the late night arrivals area is, quite logically, outside the barrier and there would be no need to disturb the warden to gain access. Am I missing something?
http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/20143172/burrs_country_park_site_plan.pdf
See:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...22e!8m2!3d53.610003!4d-2.305063!6m1!1e1?hl=en

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back