Burrs Country Park CC site , warden from hell ............ (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Quite simply they can't afford it.
Last time I looked at the accounts of the big clubs they could more than afford it. :) Book into the smallest of hotels, there will always be someone on the end of a phone to help with anything, 24/7.
I would think it's more a case of cost/benefit rather than "afford".
As @matamoros has already pointed out, though, the CC has a procedure whereby rules such as this can be changed. All it needs is sufficient members to make the change at an AGM.
Perhaps not even cost/benefit then, more a lack of demand :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There's three compleatly different ways of looking at this, first off the ones in the mh, OK as far as we know they were parked up hurting no one and didn't seem to be particularly bothered, second along comes the op and starts ringing bells for them that was really nothing to do with her maybe trying to help, but really nowt to do with here, third the warden , now he had booked all the vans in that were booked in and done his job, nothing to do with him if someone arrives without a booking, they are not on the camp so it's not his emergency.
All valid arguments and although I wouldn't touch cc with a barge pole, in this instance I don't see as its their fault or the wardens.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
You make some valid points, however how often do you think this happens I would suggest it's very rare as most of us who own M/H & Caravans are aware of site rules
The people who are likely to turn up late are more likely to be beginners and people from other countries who might not be able to read/speak English, I personal can't speak Slovakian so a little bit of courtesy and understanding on this rare occasions might have been nice. BTW lots of us work and in harder jobs than being a warden which doesn't excuse bad manners

Speaking from personal experience, in the main season when you are called every night (and I'm talking after 11pm) and sometimes more than once for 'emergencys' such as, where can we get a take away, can I buy a laundry token, I'd like to hire a bike in the morning, these being just a few requests. If only it was a rare occurrence.

Most wardens are doing the job because they love the lifestyle and meeting others and are prepared to work hard to keep most happy.

I have snapped on a couple of occasions and regret it very much.

Maybe us wardens should post how we are treated by some customers. I'm quite happy to stand and take abuse for some fault of ours but there are customers (a very few I will add) that will go out of their way to aggravate you, especially if they've been stuck in the van with their partners for a few hours lol.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Hang on a minute......

Now I may get slated for this but my cynical side is thinking.....

This wardens farther is dying...?

The same night trawls through the Internet looking at motorhome sites...? For what reason..?

Then joins said motorhome site and pretends to be joe blogs defending ...!

Then spills the beans to the general public about his dying father and unconsolable mother...?

At this point where would YOU be...?

I would be on my way to my father and mother...!

In a way I hope I'm right about this as it means no one is dying and someone is on a wind up... If I'm wrong then my heart goes out to the family of a dying relative.....

Don't believe all that you read.....

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Well the best form of defence is attack :rolleyes:.
I'm not sure I could have come up with quite so detailed a fiction :whistle:.
For me, it was clearly not an "emergency" so the bell should not have been rung.
Appreciate the OP was trying to be helpful but actually achieved poking a hornets nest when there was no need. How do people manage to wild camp, let alone park up outside a site.
One only need to google timewasting 999 calls to realise that perhaps some re-education in the meaning of "emergency" is needed.
And I agree with @GJH that we seem to have lost the ability to take responsibility for our own actions.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Last filed accounts show cash reserves of £18.5million.

Broken Link Removed

I think they could afford it :LOL:
Looking at the , there appears to be other calls on the cash reserves which, after climbing, have been reduced significantly :)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Never had any issues,in 30yrs of being a member of CC..and only one issue,recently at beadnell bay C&CC .so I suspect its a bit of being treat as you treat in many cases as some campers aretheir own worst enemy..Roy oh and I visit at least 20 club sites most years .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Hang on a minute......

Now I may get slated for this but my cynical side is thinking.....

This wardens farther is dying...?

The same night trawls through the Internet looking at motorhome sites...? For what reason..?

Then joins said motorhome site and pretends to be joe blogs defending ...!

Then spills the beans to the general public about his dying father and unconsolable mother...?

At this point where would YOU be...?

I would be on my way to my father and mother...!

In a way I hope I'm right about this as it means no one is dying and someone is on a wind up... If I'm wrong then my heart goes out to the family of a dying relative.....

Don't believe all that you read.....
actually he didnt trawl through internet sites at all. i rang him asked what had happened and then he looked . i actually was within minutes of it being on this forum . i waited and after talking with him and seeing the posts posted my comments .
yes he looked he was just being inquisitive and wouldnt you be .
the tale he tells is true , for two pins i nearly drove up there to see him and make sure he is ok . but as it was he said no . he is ok.
i have know him for several years and unfortunately i lost my dad and mum a few years ago so i know his grief .
he really is a great person .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Never had any issues,in 30yrs of being a member of CC..and only one issue,recently at beadnell bay C&CC .so I suspect its a bit of being treat as you treat in many cases as some campers aretheir own worst enemy..Roy oh and I visit at least 20 club sites most years .
We don't stay on sites very much these days (preferring THSs/rallies) but we've never had a problem when we have stayed on a CC site - and our one experience of a C&CC site (Chichester at the beginning of this month) was very positive (y)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
As for trawling , if I am right the person is on jims sister site so would not of had to look far. But before we find them not guilty I think we should see all their Sunday school reports , employment history, any previous criminal activity just to be sure. Haha

Franck

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
I would think it's more a case of cost/benefit rather than "afford".
As @matamoros has already pointed out, though, the CC has a procedure whereby rules such as this can be changed. All it needs is sufficient members to make the change at an AGM.
Perhaps not even cost/benefit then, more a lack of demand :)

The change from arrivals up to 11pm to no arrivals after 8pm was the C&CC. The caravan club already had a no arrivals after 8pm policy in place.

I am a member of both and don't remember being consulted or hearing about any consultation on the change from 11pm to 8pm, it just happened. Seems more of a business decision than a member benefit.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The change from arrivals up to 11pm to no arrivals after 8pm was the C&CC. The caravan club already had a no arrivals after 8pm policy in place.

I am a member of both and don't remember being consulted or hearing about any consultation on the change from 11pm to 8pm, it just happened. Seems more of a business decision than a member benefit.
Agreed - but the C&CC change is to attended arrivals. Arrival after 8pm is still possible by contact with the site - "If members are anticipating arriving after 8pm due to traffic delays, for example, they should call the site directly before 8pm in order to be advised of the pitching instructions for late arrivals."

As far as consultation is concerned, I don't recall anything specific about that (C&CC) change either but that could easily because I have forgotten or didn't read something properly. Alternatively it may have been because it was made under powers delegated to the management committee at a general meeting. Either way we would have been consulted (just as with any other representative body situation like a local council or parliament).

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I find some of the responses in relation to this post quite interesting. Lots of judgements being made without actually knowing if their are any other facts that may be relevant to why the Warden reacted in the manner that they did. From my own experience of using CC Sites I know that not all actually have these Late Night Arrivals areas and where they do, I have heard 'stories' of people turning up deliberately when the office is closed, plugging in to the EHU, using the on-site facilities and leaving 'early' before the office opens without paying for the use of such facilities. I have also heard 'stories' whereby 'Customers' have rung the 'Emergency Bell' because they have lost the code to the door to the Laundry !! Perhaps the solution is to just leave Barriers Open at night and let anyone arriving late free access to the site, I for one would not be happy at that lack of Security but I guess we should all be much more trusting. It does also make me wonder how many people would be charitable enough to work a long day, finish work and then be happy to be called out some time later for an 'Emergency' only to discover that it wasn't really an Emergency, and, how many times would it need to happen before we got a bit fed up of it. Did the Original Poster mention how many 'false alarms' the Warden had reacted to that week or month, of course not, that wouldn't be Cricket now would it
I have to agree with you despite all the protestations . An emergency to me is a serious accident or a fire. Give them a rest.

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
We were at this site a couple of weeks ago and found the wardens to be friendly and very helpful. Regarding the access barriers. This site is part of Burrs Country Park and has two barriers. The first gives you access to the CC site which can only be opened by a communication link to reception. The second barrier at reception gives you access to the site pitches. The overnight parking is between the two barriers. I can only assume the motorhome was parked up before the first barrier where there is ample free parking and although not usually allowed in UK it would have been ok to park overnight.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
We don't stay on sites very much these days (preferring THSs/rallies) but we've never had a problem when we have stayed on a CC site - and our one experience of a C&CC site (Chichester at the beginning of this month) was very positive (y)
Never been to Chichester c&cc site Graham but its on my visit list .Roy

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Never been to Chichester c&cc site Graham but its on my visit list .Roy
It's very nice Roy. The apple trees make it seem like camping in an orchard (though somebody told me not to pitch underneath them in Autumn :)).
Bus stops just outside and a railway station nearby so very convenient for days out without the van.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Looking at the , there appears to be other calls on the cash reserves which, after climbing, have been reduced significantly :)

Probably.

There would have been the repairs to the Chairman's caravan after that ridiculous TV show for a start :whistle:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
It is established that the Warden/s had more than enough on their plate, So i pose this question. "Irate" of middle England has got the kids off to bed in their "N+B./ Hymer m/home or Twin axle Gin Palace c/van". "About 21.00 hrs" ? mmm. (20.30-21.30 hrs? ) Along comes another Unit and starts to park up for the night.Shouts of STOP/Forward/Back..Is it level? am i on the ramps ? disturb the peace. Perhaps that is why there is a shut off time for people to arrive,that is fluid enough for members with a genuine reason to arrive outside of these hours. This is when and where the late arrivals area,if provided,comes into play.
There have been posts on this "Fun" Forum,about people being upset about the noise PVC sliding M/home doors make when being shut....... I blame the..."Warden" for letting them on site,i will be in touch with East Grinstead,Rools is Rools.
You want "Jobsworth? Stood for over an hour,in a reception "Cubicle" waiting for delivery notes,there had been a glitch,i asked a lady in the big open plan office,if i could get a chair to sit on,as it was going to be a long wait. She said."Come on in here,there are some mags,so in i go and sat in the corner,reading a mag, and after about half an hour just caught something about. "Who invited that driver into the office,the waiting room ( 8'x8' ?) is outside,this is not a drivers rest room,get him out."
My response was."Your load of grain will be tipped in the middle of the yard,if and when you get the notes,then get it shoveled on to another lorry" Within 5 mins,i was out on the A1,complete with load and temporary del. notes. So, there are people out there who are Awkward,without having recieved such devastating information,as the warden had that night
Lastly.
If you want to be helpfull to people on a site area....... Be a Warden,sold up,tried it,loved it,but the price of houses was going up on a daily basis,so jumped back into property again,pulled on the 50/-s suit and drove off into the sunset 10/4
Tea Bag

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
I am sure many have met said warden or know who he is from his forum name.
Nice guy, who I am sure would not make up a story to excuse himself or to obtain sympathy.
@Bigmomma I am sorry the hear about your father.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Not going to make myself popular here but never mind.

Who cares if he was having a bad day? If it was so bad that he was unable to deal with customers or potential customers in a correct manner he shouldn't have been at work in the first place.

If the same thing had happened in any other service type industry the same people defending him now would be screaming for his head and suggesting emails to the CEO.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Once again, I thank my lucky stars that I am a rufty-tufty, freeloading, off site motorhomer who has no need of these clubs and sites and rules and regulations.

"And the road becomes my bride
I have stripped of all but pride
So in her I do confide
And she keeps me satisfied
Gives me all I need
And with dust in throat I crave
Only knowledge will I save
To the game you stay a slave

Rover, wanderer
Nomad, vagabond
Call me what you will" ;)

Metallica. Wherever I may Roam.

JJ :cool:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
@NickNic The warden should have read your signature line - Oh sorry he did and did exactly what you suggest!:LOL:

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Speaking from personal experience, in the main season when you are called every night (and I'm talking after 11pm) and sometimes more than once for 'emergencys' such as, where can we get a take away, can I buy a laundry token, I'd like to hire a bike in the morning, these being just a few requests. If only it was a rare occurrence.

Most wardens are doing the job because they love the lifestyle and meeting others and are prepared to work hard to keep most happy.

I have snapped on a couple of occasions and regret it very much.

Maybe us wardens should post how we are treated by some customers. I'm quite happy to stand and take abuse for some fault of ours but there are customers (a very few I will add) that will go out of their way to aggravate you, especially if they've been stuck in the van with their partners for a few hours lol.
Agreed and nearly all the wardens I have meet (we use CC & C&CC sites often) have been helpful and hard working, if had been me I would have helped good or bad day

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is nothing to do with me as someone might tell me, but in my opinion the op caused all this bother, if they had left the mhomers alone they would have just parked for the night for free, they weren't getting out to find anyone, so why go and ring the emergency bell, and get the warden out for no reason, then they wouldn't have been offended by him.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@NickNic The warden should have read your signature line - Oh sorry he did and did exactly what you suggest!:LOL:

Perhaps. Not very clever when you have an employer to answer to and receive complaints about you though is it?

Although saying that my impression has always been that the CC money making machine couldn't give a flying stuff about customer service so on that basis he'll probably get a promotion :rolleyes:

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Not going to make myself popular here but never mind.

Who cares if he was having a bad day? If it was so bad that he was unable to deal with customers or potential customers in a correct manner he shouldn't have been at work in the first place.

If the same thing had happened in any other service type industry the same people defending him now would be screaming for his head and suggesting emails to the CEO.

Very well said indeed.

I'm sure the warden has a much easier time of things out of the busy season, and the display of a little compassion, if not humanity, should not be beyond his reach.

Sure he was (supposedly) having a bad day. Why should he be any more entitled to compassion from others for his own (alleged) problems, when he clearly feels none for others?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back