LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Sorry .. me again. I will give you all information in case it relevant .. some may not be.

I have a solar panel and two leisure batteries. Over Winter I can go weeks without using the mh .. just check for mice .. and there has never been a problem with low battery. Yesterday, the leisure battery reading on panel .. photo 1 .. was only 11.3 and today is 11.4.

But also today the panel was flashing when I got there so don't know why.

In the wardrobe is an electrical unit which I don't know what it is. When I went for gas the man had a look in cupboard to try and help me and he clicked the switch saying that isn't as it should have been. .but it's ok now. Bit confused as I have never switched it in all the years I owned the van.

I today clicked the switch again ... photo 3 .. but don't know if I have done right.

Advice please. Thank you.
20161208_110237.jpg

20161208_110128.jpg

20161208_110211.jpg

Should the switch .. bottom right facing ... be left on or off and what is it?

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
No electrician me but that looks like your mains unit, mine stays switched on all the time whether it's on hook up or not.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That is your "fusebox", leave on all the time.

Your leisure battery seems to be in deep poo. Can you turn on that switch and hook up ? Hopefully the charger will kick in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
One solar panel is probably insufficient to keep your batteries charged up in winter due to cloud, rain and very low sun in the sky and very short daytime hours. Do you have to select which battery is being charged? Was the charger charging the cab battery and not the hab battery? This used to be the case on my Autotrail until I got a Vanbitz battery master.

For those that don't use their vans in the winter, can't put them on an electric hookup and don't have sufficient solar power, why not take one battery home and keep charged up and swap over from time to time to keep the cab battery charged and operating the alarm etc? It might be a bit inconvenient but better than having to replace a battery regularly because its gone too flat and died.

I agree that the 2 pictures of the switches are your mains electrics fuses and trip and should always be left on unless you need to work on the van mains electrics whilst on mains hookup but I would disconnect the mains cable myself and never switch these off. Therefore these switches are nothing to do with your 12 volt battery going flat.

The flashing panel is designed to alert you to the fact that your battery charge is getting too low but as its in store you weren't there to see it when it started and so your battery has continued to discharge. There must be something left running on 12 volt or the battery is now kaput due to age, a cell breakdown etc. On my van I consciously have to turn off the water pump and 12 volt master switch to kill any draw on the hab battery when the van is not in use.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
@movan .... You could have removed that "untidy" coat-hanger.. before you took those pics... :xdoh:...:xrofl:

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
The RCD (residual circuit breaker) switch should remain in the on position. It only has a function when you are on mains hookup and protects you from either short circuit or overload.
Phil

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks everybody .. will go up tomorrow and put the switch on .. then probably run the motorhome around for an hour to charge the batteries.

No I don't have to choose which battery been charged.

If I DO find I need a new leisure battery is it ok to just get one or will that damage the older one .. (seem to recall reading it somewhere) .. also can you recommend somewhere in North West to buy one and what kind shall I buy .. I can't do stuff like 'topping up'.

Thank you.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
There will not be a coat hanger in the next photo ... it will be round @Fletton 's neck. ;) x

Oooooh!... @movan ... do I detect a potential Madam encounter....
"Crunchies n' coat-hangers"... beats oranges n' bin liners ... :xwink: :xThumb:... :xrofl:

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
That is your "fusebox", leave on all the time.

Your leisure battery seems to be in deep poo. Can you turn on that switch and hook up ? Hopefully the charger will kick in.

Any suggestions re type of battery pleasee?

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Personally I wouldn't be rushing out and buying new batteries just yet Joy .
Giving it a good run will possibly help sort them so far ,but a good charge on ehu or as already mentioned have them out to charge elsewhere. If no ehu is possible.then see how they are or have them tested.
Only then would I buy new ,battery megastore eBay is a good source a couple of 110 amph if you can fit them in around £130
Good luck

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
@movan Joy, I think @Techno gets his online and delivered to home. If he can let you know his supplier you could go down this route and if not confident in fitting then I'm sure there will be a willing Funster volunteer in the area to sort you out!!

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
@movan Joy Have used this ,type for the last couple of years with good results .
There are cheaper ones ,or indeed more expensive ones ,you pays your money .......

Link Removed

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks everyone. I will go for a run tomorrow and see what happens.

I apologise in advance re the forthcoming questions if I have to buy one ... like how do I know WHICH one is in need of replacement etc.

Talk tomorrow.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I agree with others....not enough sun to rely on solar panel alone.
You need mains hook up at this time of year.

I had to plug in a couple of weeks ago as my 170w panel with MPPT controller couldn't keep my single 110ah battery charged.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07

I had to plug in a couple of weeks ago as my 170w panel with MPPT controller couldn't keep my single 110ah battery charged.
This is a bummer John. I can't get access to electricity. Would driving it for an hour or so every other day be sufficient do you yhink?

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
A decent generator if you have access to borrow/use one will also get you some electrical boost to your leisure batteries. If you have someone who can do that for you-just make sure they turn that green rcd switch off while they plug the generator in and let it run for a minute or two before you switch the rcd back on. That just gives things time to warm up to provide good power. Any idea of how old the batts. are?

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
A decent generator if you have access to borrow/use one will also get you some electrical boost to your leisure batteries. If you have someone who can do that for you-just make sure they turn that green rcd switch off while they plug the generator in and let it run for a minute or two before you switch the rcd back on. That just gives things time to warm up to provide good power. Any idea of how old the batts. are?

Think they are about 3 years old.

Re the green switch ... am I supposed to switch it off when I am on electric hook up too please? I never have .. maybe I have messed something up?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The 230v switch should be on when you're on hook-up otherwise it won't work, but you don't need it on otherwise so it's a 'red herring' regarding your leisure batteries.

You really need to give them a good charge Joy, running the camper around is very unlikely to put much oomph back into them - do you have a friend who's house you could leave it at on charge for a few days to get them back up ... hopefully they aren't b*ggered.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Re the green switch ... am I supposed to switch it off when I am on electric hook up too please? I never have .. maybe I have messed something up?
Nope keep it switched on

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi all ... drove mh around for about 1 and half hours. The leisure battery reading is now 12.6 and engine 12.7. . I think leisure trickling into engine batt so may be down again tomorrow.

Until I can get to a hook up do you think this a solution? Once sunlight improves it should be ok ...... shouldn't it? :(

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
Think they are about 3 years old.

To answer your question properly as best I can I would say your 3 year old batteries should be fine. While you are not on hook up, it doesn't matter if the green switch is up or down. It is a safety switch that will automatically switch up if there is a fault electrically while your are hooked up. So, it needs to be up to supply power when hooked up. If you are ever hooked up and everything goes off it will be that safety switch which has operated to cut off power. Then the system may need looking at by an electrician. Sunlight will definitely improve things give it another longer drive again and check power again. Don't be afraid to ask on here.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Jan.2014

Pappa,

I'm no 'Sparky' but I really think your rig is over endowed on the means to getting electricity into your battery but under endowed on it's ability to store the 'stuff' they have produced.

Your Solar panel and controller are producing enough 'stuff' but your battery ( 1 off) isn't capable of storing the 'stuff' for your needs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back