Bullfinch external shower point leaking (1 Viewer)

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Does anyone know if any French / foreign vans are fitted with the Bullfinch external shower point?

Reason for asking is that we have a leak at rear of unit and need to replace urgently. We are in Caen at the moment and looking to get replaced via a French dealer if possible

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Its a UK item but should be available anywhere any dealer can get one but your asking if any are likely have them in stock I presume ?
Have you confirmed the unit its self is at fault? as its a simple hose and clip at the rear, it may just want a nip
Geo

OP
OP
Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Hi @Geo the unit has push on connectors at rear, and is leaking at this point. The problem seems to be that he bullfinch unit has rings cut into the spigots and the push fit connectors do seal initially, put when water pressure is applied they 'push off' the spigots , trapping themselves in the grooves, resulting in a small leak.

Any suggestions ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Anyone know what make the push fit connectors are? Seems to be 15mm elbow straight into a reducer down to 12mm for the pipe

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
I disconnected my external shower point after a leak . Never used it in eight years so decided it was a waste of time for me .

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I have fitted a dozen or so of these and only ever used push on Blue (Cold) and Red (Hot) pipe with a jubilee clips
I am not surprised that a push on plumbing fitting leaks as the push on joints rely on a smooth pipe without any grooves in to seal
It would suggest the unit has been incorrectly DIY fitted with domestic plumbing fittings
Geo

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
If your at Caen now there is a large motorhome dealer on the peripherque between the airport and IFS exits you might find a solution there.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
personally i would just disconnect the pipes and fit push on stop ends till you get home

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Get rid of the push fit and due jubilee clips as previously said you should be able to get them over there

OP
OP
Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
I have fitted a dozen or so of these and only ever used push on Blue (Cold) and Red (Hot) pipe with a jubilee clips
I am not surprised that a push on plumbing fitting leaks as the push on joints rely on a smooth pipe without any grooves in to seal
It would suggest the unit has been incorrectly DIY fitted with domestic plumbing fittings
Geo

The Motorhome is just over 3 years old and unit was fitted at Autotrail factory as standard equipment with the push on connectors. Thanks for above and I will refit as you mentioned.

Another tales of woes from watertrail oops Auto-Trail

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
The below is taken from Bullfinch web site:

nlet connections for hot and cold water - you will need Whale quick connect plumbing system fittings, size 15mm - we recommend Equal elbow item code WX1503(B) or Equal straight WX1504(B) or similar.

Will still give jubilee clips a go.

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
When I had leaking pipes on the auto trail I had John guest speed fit in my shed took them apart used the o rings in the push fit whale fittings then get the little collar locks for the speed fit they look like horseshoes and fit them to the whale fitting.
The collar locks stop the fittings going backwards and forwards on the pipes when you pressurise and drain down at home I have had pipes leak and blow off but nothing since fitting the collar locks hope this helps somebody ps always carry a few speed fit 15mm cap ends if you own an auto trail with whale push fit fittings I stil do

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back