Bullfinch external shower point leaking

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Nigel&Debbie, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie Read Only Funster

Does anyone know if any French / foreign vans are fitted with the Bullfinch external shower point?

Reason for asking is that we have a leak at rear of unit and need to replace urgently. We are in Caen at the moment and looking to get replaced via a French dealer if possible

2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Its a UK item but should be available anywhere any dealer can get one but your asking if any are likely have them in stock I presume ?
    Have you confirmed the unit its self is at fault? as its a simple hose and clip at the rear, it may just want a nip
    Geo

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Nigel&Debbie

Hi @Geo the unit has push on connectors at rear, and is leaking at this point. The problem seems to be that he bullfinch unit has rings cut into the spigots and the push fit connectors do seal initially, put when water pressure is applied they 'push off' the spigots , trapping themselves in the grooves, resulting in a small leak.

Any suggestions ?

4. Nigel&Debbie

Anyone know what make the push fit connectors are? Seems to be 15mm elbow straight into a reducer down to 12mm for the pipe

5. wanderer

wanderer Funster

I disconnected my external shower point after a leak . Never used it in eight years so decided it was a waste of time for me .

6. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I have fitted a dozen or so of these and only ever used push on Blue (Cold) and Red (Hot) pipe with a jubilee clips
    I am not surprised that a push on plumbing fitting leaks as the push on joints rely on a smooth pipe without any grooves in to seal
    It would suggest the unit has been incorrectly DIY fitted with domestic plumbing fittings
    Geo

7. Cleve

Cleve Funster

If your at Caen now there is a large motorhome dealer on the peripherque between the airport and IFS exits you might find a solution there.

8. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

personally i would just disconnect the pipes and fit push on stop ends till you get home

9. Speve

Speve Funster

Get rid of the push fit and due jubilee clips as previously said you should be able to get them over there

10. Nigel&Debbie

The Motorhome is just over 3 years old and unit was fitted at Autotrail factory as standard equipment with the push on connectors. Thanks for above and I will refit as you mentioned.

Another tales of woes from watertrail oops Auto-Trail

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  11. Nigel&Debbie

duplicate post

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  12. Nigel&Debbie

The below is taken from Bullfinch web site:

nlet connections for hot and cold water - you will need Whale quick connect plumbing system fittings, size 15mm - we recommend Equal elbow item code WX1503(B) or Equal straight WX1504(B) or similar.

Will still give jubilee clips a go.

13. buckby

buckby

When I had leaking pipes on the auto trail I had John guest speed fit in my shed took them apart used the o rings in the push fit whale fittings then get the little collar locks for the speed fit they look like horseshoes and fit them to the whale fitting.
    The collar locks stop the fittings going backwards and forwards on the pipes when you pressurise and drain down at home I have had pipes leak and blow off but nothing since fitting the collar locks hope this helps somebody ps always carry a few speed fit 15mm cap ends if you own an auto trail with whale push fit fittings I stil do

• Like Like x 1