Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2003
Anybody have experience of fitting a water filter to their van? I'm looking for a plumbed in affair with decent pressure/flow. Asking too much?

I have a sureflow water pump which seems quite powerful. Well, better than the ones that dangle inside the water tank anyhow.

I tend to carry around masses of volvic which is ok as it makes the tank last longer but it's the shopping for them that hurts. Both the cost and the lugging it around if you can't park near enough to the shops.

Any thoughts? Are they worth it?

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I have had a nature pure water filter in my last two vans. Have a separate tap (facet) connected so I only use the filtered for drinking/ cooking.

Worth very penny in my opinion even if just for the convenience.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cocoro

Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2003
Hi,

Which Nature Pure system did you buy? and how is the pressure?

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Link Removed

Think this is the one - we've got one too :thumb::thumb: Can get a little slower when the filter cartridge is ready for changing

Last edited:

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I went for the Link Removed just for ease of removing during winter drain down. The previous van had the one canopus has linked.

You couldn't have a shower under it, but its sufficient to fill a kettle or jug to put in the fridge. Its down to the pump in your van but it could pulse, but I never found this a problem with our old van. You could probably add an accumulator to take up the slack should this be an issue.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I dont understand why you would want to filter shower water. If the filter is any good at filtering nasties out, then its expensive to replace so why would you want to risk clogging an expensive filter whilst having a shower.
Just my thoughts, maybe there is some other reason but I only filter drinking water through my nature pure and I never drink the stuff anyway unless it has caffeine in it.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I dont understand why you would want to filter shower water. If the filter is any good at filtering nasties out, then its expensive to replace so why would you want to risk clogging an expensive filter whilst having a shower.
Just my thoughts, maybe there is some other reason but I only filter drinking water through my nature pure and I never drink the stuff anyway unless it has caffeine in it.

Who mentioned a shower - read again Dave its says S L O W E R
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I went for the Link Removed just for ease of removing during winter drain down. The previous van had the one canopus has linked.

You couldn't have a shower under it, but its sufficient to fill a kettle or jug to put in the fridge. Its down to the pump in your van but it could pulse, but I never found this a problem with our old van. You could probably add an accumulator to take up the slack should this be an issue.

It reads SHOWER to me too:RollEyes:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I just used a filter jug last year and filled it from the tap, the water tasted fine, I changed the filter twice during the season.

Dave

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I dont understand why you would want to[HI] filter shower water.[/HI] If the filter is any good at filtering nasties out, then its expensive to replace so why would you want to risk clogging an expensive filter whilst having a shower.

Legionella.. ? :roflmto:

can't be too careful Dave :winky:

Swiftroy1

Free Member
Jan 3, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I must be missing something here. Why would you want to use a water filter? I've never had a problem with drinking water out of my tank where-ever I filled it from. Do I have an iron constitution or have I just been lucky?
Roy

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I must be missing something here. Why would you want to use a water filter? I've never had a problem with drinking water out of my tank where-ever I filled it from. Do I have an iron constitution or have I just been lucky?
Roy
depends where you get your water from Roy.

in desperation, have you ever filled from rivers, lakes, ditch's , puddles, horse troughs etc......you can with a General ecology (nature pure) water filter.

Swiftroy1

Free Member
Jan 3, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I hadn't thought about that Pappajohn. I've never needed to fill from anything other than standpipes.
Roy:thumb:

barrybus

Free Member
Mar 3, 2011
St.Neots Cambs
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1993
Pure water supply?

Not sure where I heard /saw/read about it,but I recollect something about cowboys,explorers useing silver coins in their water bottles to purify it.Dont know for sure just a suspicion? Barry.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i fitted one of these in the line just to the sink tap. if you shop about youll get one and push fit fitting for about £45.
took an hour to fit and most of that was moving panels to get at the plastic pipe to the sink.

no taste or smells on water we drink.:thumb:

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 7

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I hadn't thought about that Pappajohn. I've never needed to fill from anything other than standpipes.
Roy:thumb:

Your absolutely correct.. water from standpipes in Europe will always be potable .. no need to filter.. not so the case in Morocco where we were very glad we had it as we had to on occasion fill from a well..

however, in addition to what John said, there is always the possibility of introducing bacteria from the van's tank or pipework.. a small risk.. plus, after filtering it tastes so much nicer.. the filter removes chlorine.. important for making a great cup of coffee.. no need to ever buy bottled water again.. it will soon pay for itself..

Cartridges are quite expensive, IIRC about £50 .. but it will last several seasons.. provided it's not in the shower :roflmto:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
i fitted one of these in the line just to the sink tap. if you shop about youll get one and push fit fitting for about £45.
took an hour to fit and most of that was moving panels to get at the plastic pipe to the sink.

[HI]no taste or smells on water we drink[/HI].:thumb:

I'm sure it does that, .. but does it also remove cysts, Protozoa, Bacteria, Viruses, Organic compounds and Chlorine. etc ?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I'm sure it does that, .. but does it also remove cysts, Protozoa, Bacteria, Viruses, Organic compounds and Chlorine. etc ?

Produces instant, filtered water. No separate tap required. Unique filtration method produces gentle, soft, non scaling water.

Removes: Chlorine (99% removal in both hot and cold water), Fluoride, THM’s, PCB’s, Lead, Arsenic, Barium, Cadmium, Chromium, Selenium, Mercury, Iron and
heavy metals. Healthy: Produces healthy alkaline water which is proven to help eczema sufferers and those with chlorine intolerance and allergies.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Produces instant, filtered water. No separate tap required. Unique filtration method produces gentle, soft, non scaling water.

Removes: Chlorine (99% removal in both hot and cold water), Fluoride, THM’s, PCB’s, Lead, Arsenic, Barium, Cadmium, Chromium, Selenium, Mercury, Iron and
heavy metals. Healthy: Produces healthy alkaline water which is proven to help eczema sufferers and those with chlorine intolerance and allergies.

very good..:thumb: but not viruses and bacteria

I'm guessing it's basically a charcoal filter, much like the Brita filter

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a little bit about cysts....

Microbial Cysts
Maybe you didn't know that microbial cysts enter water supplies from animal faeces, but you probably do know that anything that comes from animal faeces shouldn't be in your drinking water.1

Microbial Cysts
Both giardia and cryptosporidium are microbial cysts—and they are tough to disinfect. What makes them tough is the way they operate. These microbes grow a cyst wall around themselves for protection in unfavorable conditions.2 When giardia and cryptosporidium reach more favorable environments like your stomach, their cyst walls break down and the microbes inside them release to potentially cause gastrointestinal illness like diarrhea, nausea and stomach cramps. According to the EPA, cryptosporidium is resistant to disinfection.

and a little about chlorine

CHLORINE AND CHLORINATION BY-PRODUCTS IN WATER AND THEIR EFFECTS ON YOUR HEALTH:

Taste and Odor of Chlorine in Tap Water

Chlorine is a disinfectant, most commonly used to kill microbes in the water supply. If excess amounts are used, or if high concentrations of chlorine are in your pipes and plumbing, it can cause bad taste and odor in your drinking water.5
Total Trihalomethanes (TTHM)

Total Trihalomethanes are chlorination by-products that can emerge in chlorinated water. This type of water contaminant can cause anemia in infants, young children and fetuses, nervous system effects and even cancer.

Makes you want a decent filter, doesnt it ?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
very good..:thumb: but not viruses and bacteria

I'm guessing it's basically a charcoal filter, much like the Brita filter

It s " Active Ceramic" which i had never heard of until last year. they also do a more expensive model at £85 which i assume would filter more riskd.

i put this in mainly to reduce taste and odur as i got tiered of buying bottled water to drink and having crap tasting coffee.
we camp in mainland Europe only ( UK, France, Germany, Austria, Italy ) and use recognised water supply through a food safe hose so we should be fine.

however, as mentioned Morocco and North Africa is a different problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back