Building my motorhome from old coach (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Justice

Justice

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
It looks great Justice - I did a 36ft ex Royal Blue coach many many years ago - it grossed at 10.5 tons after the conversion and still did 14 mpg cruising at 70 mph with a Gardiner 150 rear horizontal engine - took it all over Europe.

Your project is making me think about doing another - I think a 28 footer is indeed more practical - can you tell me what its MPG is please?

View attachment 52718 View attachment 52719
Wow dude that's awesome bus! If you get one of these you will get 30mpg. Very light. Only 6.5 ton fully loaded. I have done allot of steel striping and aluminium replacement but it had an unladen of only 6.5ton as a seated coach

OP
OP
Justice

Justice

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
Awesome job. Im looking at doing a midi coach conversion aswell. Yours has certainly fuelled me to do my own. Trouble finding midi coaches at moment though if anyone knows of any. Have considered a 40ft but likely to be too much trouble in the long run.

Loving your burner too. Will be asking you loads of questions when i find a midi coach.

Great job!
Thanks! I did get the 40 foot one too. Too long. Too hard to park. Too much fuel. Impossible to turn around. The extra space did not and was not worth it. Look for a Javelin. That's what this was. Dennis Plaxton Javelin. They do 3 sizes. Go for the 8.8mtr 28ft. That also gets covered by motorhome breakdown as standard!

beardie.d

Free Member
Jan 25, 2015
wrexham
Funster No
MH
looking to coach convert
Exp
im a newbie
Thanks! I did get the 40 foot one too. Too long. Too hard to park. Too much fuel. Impossible to turn around. The extra space did not and was not worth it. Look for a Javelin. That's what this was. Dennis Plaxton Javelin. They do 3 sizes. Go for the 8.8mtr 28ft. That also gets covered by motorhome breakdown as standard!

I had been looking for a plaxton volvo b10m. Is the javelin better to maintain, cheaper on fuel?

Personally i love the 40ft plaxton excalibur i used to drive one for work years ago.

If you dont mind would be good to know the costs involved for your build. Im especially interested to know how much your burner setup was.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Justice

Justice

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
It depends on your skill on mechanics. Newer means harder to fix most of the time. Too old and struggle for parts but the Cummins engines world known.
I spent a lot on the fire and Marine grade polished stainless steel. Shield cut and bent special order. flu and fire £750. Slab of Cotswold £10. Worth every penny. 12kw heats all with no blinds or curtains

OP
OP
Justice

Justice

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year

Attachments

• IMG_20150209_132540.jpg
    IMG_20150209_132540.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 32
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I admire your courage. Wish I had the nerve to try something similar.

I wish you good luck and a lack of major setbacks. Like others on here I will follow your project with interest, and some envy.

OP
OP
Justice

Justice

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
I admire your courage. Wish I had the nerve to try something similar.

I wish you good luck and a lack of major setbacks. Like others on here I will follow your project with interest, and some envy.
Thanks dude

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Just came across the thread, had a friend did this a few years ago needed lots of up keep but nice to do in the sun, was in Spain and Portugal but great project, wood burner and like a flat inside, some of the windows replaced with aluminium from a caravan that also donated some of the internal fittings lights wiring etc., re painted and chrome hub caps looked awesome, good luck.

OP
OP
Justice

Justice

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
It is one of them things that will go on for as long as I have money and energy. I have little of both!

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Well my friends did there's on a shoe string, hence using an old caravan to source most of the parts and begging, sourcing parts from all over including skips, but then again they did fit out a boat using an old telegraph pole as a mast!
Its all down to lateral thinking, so keep up the good work

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
Great project, i have always admired people that undertake such big projects, i would love to have a van with a wood burning stove, i remember seeing some hippies with a coach conversion it had a woodburning stove back boiler etc, it was so nice inside but stealth like on the outside, which gave them less attention
i lookforward to seeing how you get on
pete

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Very impressive and normally I would have said 'open plan' wouldn't be right but it just works on that conversion.

You should be very pleased with what you have achieved.

OP
OP
Justice

Justice

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
Very impressive and normally I would have said 'open plan' wouldn't be right but it just works on that conversion.

You should be very pleased with what you have achieved.
I will take that as a seal of approval. Thankd

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Totally amazed at the quality and finish of this self build. You must be really pleased. :smiley:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back