Building my motorhome from old coach (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
On my first trip through France we were flagged down as we approached a bend by the Police. As we went round all we could see was a chassis and a pile of matchwood and aluminium with seats mixed in. It was what remained of a Motorhome that had gone off the road and rolled down an embankment. There are pictures of a motorhome that disintegrated by a truck on a hard shoulder on here recently.

I was involved in a crash driving a coach. A VW camper came round a bend on the wrong side smashed into my front end and ricocheted across the road through a hedge and stopped when it hit a tree. The front panel work was smashed on the coach and the windscreen was hanging loose. My passengers asked if I had had a puncture. Both occupants got out of the VW. Coaches remain intact even when they roll down embankments.

My Hymer has a roll cage built in.

OP
OP
Justice

Justice

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
On my first trip through France we were flagged down as we approached a bend by the Police. As we went round all we could see was a chassis and a pile of matchwood and aluminium with seats mixed in. It was what remained of a Motorhome that had gone off the road and rolled down an embankment. There are pictures of a motorhome that disintegrated by a truck on a hard shoulder on here recently.

I was involved in a crash driving a coach. A VW camper came round a bend on the wrong side smashed into my front end and ricocheted across the road through a hedge and stopped when it hit a tree. The front panel work was smashed on the coach and the windscreen was hanging loose. My passengers asked if I had had a puncture. Both occupants got out of the VW. Coaches remain intact even when they roll down embankments.

My Hymer has a roll cage built in.
Wow! Sounds like you were being watched over that day!

OP
OP
Justice

Justice

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
Hi that looks a good project I built my son a pod caravan from scratch took about 10 weeks in garage and still making mods to it,his next project is a van, keep the photos coming .
10 weeks! That's fast! Did you work 24 hours a day?

OP
OP
Justice

Justice

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
IMG_20150124_134957_1.jpg

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
hardly a project looks finished......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Justice

Justice

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
Its looking "cool" man !!(y) Mitch.
PS.. It will make a superb passion wagon for "pulling" on your Europe tour !!! :LOL:
Thanks, I hope so. No point in putting a kitchen in else. Getting blinds tomorrow. Argos are cardboard roll or but less money from b&q for steel...

OP
OP
Justice

Justice

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
A bit different

Attachments

• image (8).jpg
    image (8).jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 141
  • image (2).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 138

Nigel67

Free Member
Jan 26, 2013
Devon/Cornwall border
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
since 2003
Very nice. How did it drive?

It was much better when, after the first year we used it, I removed the Bedford tk engine and four speed gearbox and replaced it with a Cummins engine and five speed box, I also fitted power steering which was a great improvement.

Attachments

• motor home 044.jpg
    motor home 044.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 83
  • motor home 059.jpg
    motor home 059.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 78
  • motor home 052.jpg
    motor home 052.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 80
  • motor home 048.jpg
    motor home 048.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 78
OP
OP
Justice

Justice

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
It was much better when, after the first year we used it, I removed the Bedford tk engine and four speed gearbox and replaced it with a Cummins engine and five speed box, I also fitted power steering which was a great improvement.
Is that the C6CT engine?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

That must have been a huge improvement ,as well as noise reduction & better economy ? I can imagine the feeling of having the power steering. :D I don't really notice the lack of P/s in mine after a while but when going from car to Mh you notice it straight away ! :cry:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I had elec power steering fitted to my 25 year old talbert. my son now says it is to light. but I love it.

I was thinking of doing that myself . Quite a few threads on the Uk car forums about how to install.

The older one's I think are better engine wise as easier to fix. No computers and sensors just engine fuel pump and starter motor. How it should be

Must admit that's why I went for mine. (y)

beardie.d

Free Member
Jan 25, 2015
wrexham
Funster No
MH
looking to coach convert
Exp
im a newbie
Awesome job. Im looking at doing a midi coach conversion aswell. Yours has certainly fuelled me to do my own. Trouble finding midi coaches at moment though if anyone knows of any. Have considered a 40ft but likely to be too much trouble in the long run.

Loving your burner too. Will be asking you loads of questions when i find a midi coach.

Great job!

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Justice submitted a new Showcase Item:

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed
It looks great Justice - I did a 36ft ex Royal Blue coach many many years ago - it grossed at 10.5 tons after the conversion and still did 14 mpg cruising at 70 mph with a Gardiner 150 rear horizontal engine - took it all over Europe.

Your project is making me think about doing another - I think a 28 footer is indeed more practical - can you tell me what its MPG is please?
Justice submitted a new Showcase Item:

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed
Bertie 001.jpg
Bertie on Corfu 001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back