Bugs in vans?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Spottycatz, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Spottycatz

Spottycatz Read Only Funster

So here's a thing. For those that have met us along the way, you will know that we've been plagued by colds and flu during the past three months away, and so many sneezy sniffy things. We thought it was the showers at Villasol, we thought it was the Karaoke microphones:Rofl1:, but we've been away from Spain for four weeks now and we are still coughing and sneezing like stupid.

Can van heating systems carry allergies or bugs? Our two month trip down to Spain in September and October, we were pictures if health. Since we've started to use the heating in January, all the above has been going on!

We're both fed up with it, help!!!!!!!:cry:

2. laneside

laneside Funster

If only you could sleep with the doors open and shoot the barstewards the country would be a better place

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

sounds like legionnaires disease to me carried in the shower head, where shall we send the flowers?:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

go to a local car accessory shop and buy a can of air conditioner sanitizer. you get everyone and all animals out of the vehicle and close all windows and doors, then set off the cannister and get out quick. leave it to work a couple of hours and it will kill all airborne germs. as a backup febreeze all soft furnishings too

5. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

You could be right, a bit like air conditioning in office blocks, someone has something and goes round and everyone gets it. :Eek!:

We have been in Javea since November and still here, and the only time I got ill was when we went off to La Manga and the new Marjal site. :Doh:

But everyone that goes off to Benidorm, comes back with the Benidorm bark :Rofl1: you can hear them coughing all round the site. :Eeek::Rofl1: Bob.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

You'll be telling us all that you can get a cold if you go out with wet hair next.:Rofl1:
    Coughs and sniffles are caused by viruses,blame those around you not your van!

Vlad

• Like Like x 2
  7. Aikidomo

Aikidomo Read Only Funster

Quite often in the Summer months I get a sore throat and sometimes various aches and pains flue like. They dissapear when we return. I think its the water, even though we sanitise the tank.:Blush: I do not drink the water BTW. teeth and wash only

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  8. 1Oll

1Oll Read Only Funster

Aircon/ Heater "service"

When we had our business airconditioning serviced the engineer suggested we spray Dettox antibacterial liquid into it when it was running. This was a normal small system not the water cooled large systems that have caused the well publicised legionaries problems. I it did a a couple of times a year. I also sprayed it into my MH heater intake, on the bonnet, the grill under the wipers.
    Just a couple of gentle sprays when the heater fan is working first on hot then on the cool setting so it blasts both sets of pipes.
    B.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

... but you're putting the water in your mouth so if there IS a problem with it you could just use bottled (or boiled) water for brushing teeth and see if that sorts out the problem. However, I suspect it might be due to the amount of pollen etc floating around which you are more exposed to when you are away in your van, so possibly a mild allergy to it, this is what I tend to find. Try taking some anti-histamines for a few days and if that reduces or prevents the problem it would appear than an allergy is indeed the cause.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Elaine I and white rat westy,
    Have no problems since we had our kennel cough jabs :thumb:

11. SUGGY

SUGGY Funster Life Member

it was suggested that the Benidorm Bark was attributed to the high humidity around the area giving an increase in fungal infections in the lungs ,Antibiotics seemed to clear it , but it took quite a long time, often weeks to go away , :Eeek:

The weather station on the van was often showing 80% + ,but , once we got down to the desert area in Morocco it was showing 20% or less and the bark went away , :thumb:

I reckon ,

Its all this French hugging and kissing malarky that is spreading the bugs about :Rofl1:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  12. vwalan

vwalan Funster

the secret is avoid campsites .in fact avoid any contact wirth other people . thats why many have a motor home . youi can venture out into the wild see nature at its best . dont park near others avoid crowded places . only go shopping when theres not too many folk about .
    never use any public appliance like telephones and certainly avoid toilet door handles and seats .
    didnt you learn about this at school. maybe yours wasnt an approved school.

• Like Like x 4