LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Having read all the posts looking for a way to 'budget with no pension', I have come to the conclusion that it cannot be done.
Almost all contributors that are able to retire before the state pension age seem to either have

a) final salary scheme ( that most seem available at age 55 or earlier). These are almost now obsolete for anyone still working. This obviously does not meet the criteria of 'budget with no pension'
b) buy to let property. These also seem to in the main be by those down south that have had amazing house price inflation that enables one property to become two.

I am mortgage free and paid cash for the mh but as the wife would never sell the house, we still have the bills to pay ( although small) can save a reasonable amount each month but cannot see how we would save enough to manage before the state pension (if it still exists) and the modest private pension start dates.

Oh well, while at work tomorrow I won't be needing to spend anything (n)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Having read all the posts looking for a way to 'budget with no pension', I have come to the conclusion that it cannot be done.
Almost all contributors that are able to retire before the state pension age seem to either have

a) final salary scheme ( that most seem available at age 55 or earlier). These are almost now obsolete for anyone still working. This obviously does not meet the criteria of 'budget with no pension'
b) buy to let property. These also seem to in the main be by those down south that have had amazing house price inflation that enables one property to become two.

I am mortgage free and paid cash for the mh but as the wife would never sell the house, we still have the bills to pay ( although small) can save a reasonable amount each month but cannot see how we would save enough to manage before the state pension (if it still exists) and the modest private pension start dates.

Oh well, while at work tomorrow I won't be needing to spend anything (n)
Although we fall under 2) above in a way, our buy to let property in no way gives us anything like enough to live on - approx £300 clear each month but if the interest rates went up our net income from it would diminish. We do NOT receive any other official income, nothing at all ... but we saved long and hard and so use the savings we built up to live off. Hubby will be able to draw his reduced work pension in a couple of years' time at 60, otherwise it would be 8 years to wait until he can get his state pension.

It can be done but it's not something you can leave until later to start thinking about ... we started planning and saving a long time ago, probably 15 years or longer 'in anger' and are now benefiting from doing so, having been able to retire at 48 and 52.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Count your blessings...I have recently lost £20,000 on the FTSE:(
Sorry to hear that Eddie.:unsure:

One of the reasons we do not take risks with our money ... it's too easy to lose it when it's reliant on FTSE etc, we always use savings accounts and the like with minimal or no risks - we may not get such a good return as those based on the FTSE but if we lost a load of dosh like that it wouldn't be easy to replace it.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
To me budgeting without a pension is an oxymoron. A pension is just delayed spending so if you have no pension then you have not been budgeting.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Just buy lots of lottery tickets.

Innit to win it, innit(y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
My wife cashed in her investments before ftse fall so lost nothing..used it to purchase a buy to let. So far it's a really good monthly income

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Although we fall under 2) above in a way, our buy to let property in no way gives us anything like enough to live on - approx £300 clear each month but if the interest rates went up our net income from it would diminish. We do NOT receive any other official income, nothing at all ... but we saved long and hard and so use the savings we built up to live off. Hubby will be able to draw his reduced work pension in a couple of years' time at 60, otherwise it would be 8 years to wait until he can get his state pension.

It can be done but it's not something you can leave until later to start thinking about ... we started planning and saving a long time ago, probably 15 years or longer 'in anger' and are now benefiting from doing so, having been able to retire at 48 and 52.

In my case the reality is that I was mortgage free at 48 and bought the mh for cash which meant the savings had to start from almost nil again. It was a long slog to get debt free at that age and tbh I was quite relieved as the plan was to be mortgage free before 50.
I pay into the works pension but as we all know the last 8 years have not really made that investment very exciting and the projected figures mean that my savings will be needed to top up the pension to do the things we hopefully we still be fit enough to do.
At 51 now, I cannot really see being able to save enough to retire early and still have enough for the pension top up.
As always we make our choices etc and at one point I could have worked overseas on relatively big money but did not want to. With hindsight, I would have paid more attention to the type of pension offered by employers rather than the salary on offer.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Have to take the rough with the smooth when it comes to stock market....:)
In my case the reality is that I was mortgage free at 48 and bought the mh for cash which meant the savings had to start from almost nil again. It was a long slog to get debt free at that age and tbh I was quite relieved as the plan was to be mortgage free before 50.
I pay into the works pension but as we all know the last 8 years have not really made that investment very exciting and the projected figures mean that my savings will be needed to top up the pension to do the things we hopefully we still be fit enough to do.
At 51 now, I cannot really see being able to save enough to retire early and still have enough for the pension top up.
As always we make our choices etc and at one point I could have worked overseas on relatively big money but did not want to. With hindsight, I would have paid more attention to the type of pension offered by employers rather than the salary on offer.
Hindsight is a marvelous thing though I wish I had stayed in a job with a final salary pension and have friends who did I don't envy them its just the way it worked out

I'm glad for all those who are sorted and really they must be very sensible people ! But wino, I didn't do the so called sensible final salary pension thing either, and I have had moments of regret thinking about it !! But don't dwell. Move on and live your life mate ! I bet I'm ten times worse off than you at least. But I am happy! Whatever happens will happen. And u never know you may win that lottery !!! Lol

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm glad for all those who are sorted and really they must be very sensible people ! But wino, I didn't do the so called sensible final salary pension thing either, and I have had moments of regret thinking about it !! But don't dwell. Move on and live your life mate ! I bet I'm ten times worse off than you at least. But I am happy! Whatever happens will happen. And u never know you may win that lottery !!! Lol
Sadly in terms of money I might be but life has just given us one of those moments where money doesn't seem to matter and I would give the lot to go back a couple of months.I hope that I will be as cheerfull as you sound in the end though and would like to share a beer sometime!

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Apologies if the talk of investments has gone off topic .
Martin Lewis has personally used peer to peer lending site zopa to invest money and was receiving 5% , but now receives 4.6% .
He seems to know what he's talking about and obviously practises what he preaches . check out his website for more info .

... but he's got money to spare and whilst 'losing' it will smart it won't necessarily hurt whereas for those on here losing money WILL hurt a lot!

Yes good point , if money cannot be risked in an investment then it needs to be saved in a savings account .
And make nothing....

But also loose nothing!!!! its twist or stick
Whilst interest rates on some accounts aren't good you can still earn interest and play them at their own game too by using switching services to get the 'new customer' rewards ... add this to the savings rate for the year and it makes the 'overall' interest rates much better! :D

I call it 'bank ping-pong'!!! :LOL:

Sep 22, 2014
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Duetto
Exp
Since 2014
The Wino I hope it's not to bad, it's not always easy to see round the corner, Good luck

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Sadly in terms of money I might be but life has just given us one of those moments where money doesn't seem to matter and I would give the lot to go back a couple of months.I hope that I will be as cheerfull as you sound in the end though and would like to share a beer sometime!

I did say wino for me,in a previous post a while ago, and I think it sounds like you as well,with what's happened, life isn't all about money mate!! I hope whatever happened to you doesn't cause you and the family too much heartache or pain ! Good luck mate. Ian. X

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back