Budgeting with no pension

Discussion in 'Full Timers' started by irnbru, Oct 27, 2015.

1. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

I know this is asking a Q like how long is a piece of string BUT
    Do you budget to reach a certain age hoping it sees you out? Is this for a single or a couple?
    I hear all to often about the people that drop down dead and don't get to enjoy their hard earned cash, so whens enough enough to get by.?

• Like Like x 1
  2. f6c

f6c Funster

Pass wish I new the answer:whistle:

• Like Like x 3
  3. vwalan

vwalan Funster

so long as you have at least 4 or 5 properties in your portfolio you should be able to retire at an early age .
    if you have been wasting your money by drinking ,smoking ,going on holiday, buying posh motorhomes ,using campsites etc it may be that you will have to wait abit longer.

• Like Like x 15
  4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

In my job I needed 40 years service for a full occupational pension so we planned for that, meaning I would retire at 60. As it happened I was made redundant at age 55 but the terms of the package were sufficient to compensate for the younger retirement age. Within certain boundaries I could choose how much to take as a lump sum and how much to take each month so we had to calculate how much we would like as a regular income.

• Like Like x 6
  5. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Perhaps 'the meaning of life' would be an easier question. :)
    We have asked ourselves this a thousand times.

• Like Like x 1
  6. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

That's what happened to my sister, put all her money away "for a rainy day", then dropped down dead at 64, not even having time to enjoy herself as she could have done, we now live each day as it comes, sod tomorrow, and if we are skint when we die, somebody will bury us, I won't care anyway.

• Like Like x 22
  7. Speve

Speve Funster

Very difficult questions ,I always aimed at retiring at 55 but never did when the opportunity came at 60 I asked the question can I retire and how will we manage well we juggled the figures invested some funds to give us an income bought our first Motorhome and haven't looked back we are determined to do it as long as we are able and still enjoying it.Seen to many of our friends pass away before even drawing a pension you are a long time dead!
    Do it as early as you can and good luck for a long retirement.:)

• Like Like x 9
  8. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Plan to live longer than the national average
    In reality your expenses will probably be higher than expected and that your planned income will be less than you hoped for

• Like Like x 9
  9. Kirsten

Kirsten Funster

We have been trying to be debt free [including mortgage] for ? 10 years- luckily we are both in good pensions schemes for work so that will be our retirement plan BUT I am 12 years older than OH so when to go is the question?We bought our beloved motor home 6 years ago and use it as often as we can, long discussions about replacement when I retire but can't bear thought of selling her- ever...
    So problem of what to live on in old age [I am there but The Government keep moving my pension goal posts grr] is a very personal one.
    I advise making list after list of what you need to live on; checking everything x 100; being sure that you want to go full time/part time/retire/not retire - check it again...
    then one day you will wake up and throw caution to the wind and just go for it.

Will let you know when I get to that point xxx

• Like Like x 5
  10. wingman

wingman Funster

I once had a financial advisor say to me, "I could organise your affairs better if I knew when you were going to die!" AND, there's the rub; we know not the day or the hour.

Sure, there are the normal milestones....... Want to finish one's mortgage by this date, retire by that date, but assuming you don't get blown off course from those markers, the rest is a gamble.

It's certainly no use planning financial milestones beyond retirement age. What would be the point of saying that my target is £200k in the bank when I'm 70. Yes; have dreams of that A-Class, but to plan is a bit of a lottery.

The OP's question is a difficult one. I would say that you should aim to have enough to cover the essentials - roof over your head, food on the table and a bit put by to cover the unforeseen, if you're financially able. If one is a bit more flush, leave it to the kids or SPEND IT!

For a man, the stat's say you're looking at a late seventies departure and for women early 80's. Alas, there are many that don't even make this age.

• Like Like x 7
  11. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

That is a sensible view to take - we calculated how much we need and then added 50%

• Like Like x 3
  12. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  13. sylvester1954

sylvester1954 Funster

Trouble I have is trying not to spend my hard earned pension so the kids get something when I reach the great Aire in the sky

• Like Like x 3
  14. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Thx for that-I'm 78 :LOL:oops:ROFLMAO::sleep:

• Like Like x 5
  15. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

A tough question. We do not have a shed load of money, both retired and living on pensions although my wife (born in 1954) has to wait till she is 66 for her state pension. We have always lived within our means and as a result have no debt, so we can manage on less than others with a similar income.
    Like many others we do not know what is round the corner but continue to live within our means so we can continue to do the things we want to do without having to worry if the spondoolies will run out. It's tough at times but for us it works.

• Like Like x 8
  16. buttons

buttons Funster

I am hoping to leave something when I depart, spending the kids inheritance has never been in my vocabulary. Secondly I would like to leave the chancellor nothing at all so it will be a fine line.:)

• Like Like x 6
  17. wingman

wingman Funster

Just done the calculator (mentioned above). Needs a bit of a fiddle factor coz it's American!

It says I'm gonna reach 85! Be nice if that was true - can't see it though!

• Like Like x 3
  18. keith

keith Funster

We all live too long or die too soon.
    The best advice ever is DO IT NOW.

• Like Like x 18
  19. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I did it as if I was my Grandma. Said she would get to 85.5 and she lived to 99!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Dux towers is our kids inheritance - the rest of it we are going to fritter away on motorhomes.......

• Like Like x 9