Budget tyres or posh tyres

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by bernardfeay, Jun 2, 2013.

1. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

We have a Hymer Exsis front wheel drive on a Fiat chassis. Right from the start our front wheel grip has been rather poor. If the road is wet and steep we can expect wheel spin long before it would happen in a car.

My natural inclination is to buy budget tyres. But should I be looking at brand, tread pattern or some other specification?

Any tips on bargain tyres is also appreciated.

2. Deckard

Deckard Read Only Funster

I assume you have checked everything else first, tyre pressures, axle weights etc?

Its now a requirement that all tyres come with an economy, wet grip and noise rating so you can check much more readily before buying. (details on the AA website)

• Like Like x 1
  3. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

Have you done any axle weight checks? Sounds like your front axle is underloaded.

Steve

4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

get a rwd .much better. front wheel drive and a van is a daft configuration .

• Like Like x 1
  5. bernardfeay

thanks vwalan but we do love our van, with all its foibles.

6. vwalan

vwalan Funster

cant help with tyres not even sure any are better to have , its an engineering fault really .
    seen so many have to back down country lanes because of a sharp bend on a steep hill.

7. bernardfeay

You might need to see a picture of my wife and I, we do what we can to keep a good load on the front. Other than that, not sure what I can do to increase the front axle weight.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Why don'tyou go get weighed and check the axle weights.. You can check out tyres for ratings (water... Noise etc..) at somewhere like blackcircletyres. Com
    There was a recent thread on weights that linked to a list of public wrighbridges

9. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

I would not be so personal.....

Weight to the rear of the rear axle, as well as overloading that axle, will take weight from the front axle. Imagine putting a heavy weight on a tow bar, as it is so far behind the rear axle it "lifts" the front axle - transferring weight.

The engineers on here can produce a diagram and a formula to show the transfer.

Steve

10. campa cola

campa cola Funster

is giving the few square inches (less in the wet) of contact patch with the road and your MH to the lowest bidder a sensible option? ......Personally I don't think so:Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  11. chaser

chaser Funster

IMO for what it's worth , I know there is plenty on here who will disagree but you are never going to wear posh tyres out before there age says they want changeing so you might as well put the cheapest genuine tyres on, not rubbish tyres mind

• Like Like x 1
  12. vwalan

vwalan Funster

you will wear them out if you go on a trip. i wear mine as far as possible . touch n go for coming home sometimes . campers are for using thet arent ornaments .

• Like Like x 2
  13. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

M/S mud and snow tyres will give most grip, especially if you drop the tyre pressures. the problems with M/S tyres is quicker wear and more road noise.

you dont see a landrover wearing slick road tyres very often for good reason. so if a 4x4 designed for muddy conditions needs chunkier tyres, your heavier motorhome is going to be rubbish in mud with slick road tyres

• Like Like x 1
  14. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I went on a trip once.......talking rabbits, a dog wearing a bowler hat, people with no face......scary as hell :Laughing:

average miles for a set of tyres maybe 20,000 miles in normal use (no fiat wheelspin)....thats one hell of a long trip.

that could equate to maybe 10 years for some folks

• Like Like x 3
  15. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

anyone only doing 2000 miles a year shouldnt be allowed to have a motor home

• Like Like x 1
  16. vwalan

vwalan Funster

the clue is in the name motorhome .
    i know i,m only trying to encourage some to use their vans more .
    anyway pappa .i tried sniffing coke but it kept spilling over my t shirt .found it much easier to drink it .
    or do your shoe laces up you naughty boy. then you wont trip.

17. tony_g

tony_g Funster

I put a new set of Michelin Agilis M/S tyres on in February to replace some Michelin XC Campers. £500 fitted at home by Event Tyres with very chunky high pressure valves. Much better grip, quieter and more comfortable. But they do seem to have more flexible sidewalls (though higher weight rating), so even at the Michelin recommended pressures they appear a bit bulgy. I am assured that this is ok and as intended. The softer compound is supposedly less likely to crack and craze in prolonged exposure to UV (the old tyres were noticeably deteriorating at 4 years). However, 5000 miles around Moroccan roads and now 1000 miles into a Polish/Baltic trip on iffy surfaces I can see significant wear on the front pair. Still, the previous tyres were never likely to reach minimum tread depth before they became unsafe due to sidewall issues, so I would rather have the better day to day performance of the Agilis and just wear them out. :Smile::Smile::Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  18. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

:shout: Lift up your hand and look at the palm. That’s about the same surface area of your tyres contact to the road x 4 (or 6 if a tag axle). Now imagine loading that same area up to approx 3.5 – 4 Tons and drive it at 60 mph down a motorway. Ask them to take the heat build up, the bumps and the knocks we subject our tyres too and then the immense breaking forces associated with bringing that hunk of metal and wood to a halt, all on these tiny surface areas. To this we need to add the fact that we often drive off road into fields, across sharp stones and gravel and park up on numerous surfaces and all in search of some time away and the sunshine. Add all this together and our investment, lives and safety is all down to those 4 palm sized bits of rubber contacting the road:Eeek:

In my humble opinion and its only my opinion, you don’t skimp on tyres, not when so much is at stake. Its different altogether with our cars, but not our motorhomes as the two just don’t map across:Eek!:

Spend the money and get the best you can afford, its madness to put economy tyres your motorhome:thumb:

• Like Like x 6
  19. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I bought my front pair for £180 fitted. I wasn't too happy with them as they looked a bit thin. Spoke to the tyre place and they showed me a range of budget tyres. I choose the ones that looked widest with the chunkiest tread.
    £150 fitted (for 2) :thumb:

I don't have the money anymore for top of the range tyres and it turns out I didn't have to spend it..

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  20. laneside

laneside Funster

Our Rapido, as new, was fitted with Michellln Agilis and the front tyres are down below 5mm with just 9000 miles on the clock and that sure is not with wheelspin with 3700 kg with a 130 multijet.

I certainly will not replace them with the same