Budget Of About £17000 (1 Viewer)

D

dap

Deleted User
My Wife and I have a budget of about £17,000 to spend on a motorhome.We are retired and there are no kids or relatives to accomodate so a 4 berth end lounge motorhome would be ideal for us.Is it posssible to buy a motorhome on that budget that will be reliable enough to take onto the continent for trips of a few weeks duration? (the £17000 would be for the purchase of the motor home - storage,tax,MOT & insurance etc would be separate from that).

Whilst we are completely new to motorhoming we used to have a boat and took it through the French Canals to Southern Spain.We were abroad for about 4 years so are au fait with living and driving in those countries.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Yes is the answer to your question.
Depends on what you want in terms of layout. If there is only two of you why not go for a fied rear bed and the front of the van becomes like a lounge? You can have the best of both worlds then, no bed making duties etc.

Try something like CI or Autoquest to get something newer, not the best built but do a sound job.

Alternately you could go much older but more quality. the choice is yours at present,
With 17k to spend I would be looking at vans about the 21k mark and looking for some serious haggling.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN, you will find lots of advice and friends on here, you shoukd be able to find something suitable for your budget.

We don't have many left in that price range but there a couple of contenders listed on our website.

Good luck and happy travels.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Is it posssible to buy a motorhome on that budget that will be reliable enough to take onto the continent for trips of a few weeks duration?

Yes.

Consider fuel consumption. A low profile MH ( without the bump on top ) will save a lot of money. Something like 25mpg with a bump and 30+ without.

I like you tale of the boat, it was that or a MH for us and we thought the MH was more flexible. Which it is.

Upvote 0

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi
As others have said 17k should be fine. Look out for maintenance and fuel cost associated the the mh's-rv's that you look at. Try as best you can to make sure that its in good condition so that you dont get any nasty surprises for repairs etc etc.
Good Luck

Jim :thumb:

Upvote 0

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
My Wife and I have a budget of about £17,000 to spend on a motorhome. Is it posssible to buy a motorhome on that budget that will be reliable enough to take onto the continent for trips of a few weeks duration?
Price/cost doesn't automatically equal or guarantee reliability.

My campervan cost me the princely sum of just two grand three years ago. Yes ok i've spent a bit on it since, but it's taken me to the Outer Hebrides, Belgium (many times), France, East Germany, Czech Republic, Poland and Holland. This year i'm planning to do more of the Baltic up to Latvia and Lithunania.

£17k should get you a decent roadworthy mh without having to replace worn parts straight away, but spending that sum doesn't necessarily mean you won't break down on your first trip out!

Why not give Peter a visit at Johns Cross?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Dap make sure you go for comfort :ROFLMAO: feet up lounging for us :thumb: lot's of choice for your budget :thumb: we went from 2 berth to 4 to 6 and now back at 2 :ROFLMAO: which seeing as I made it my self suits us fine :ROFLMAO:
terry

Upvote 0

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
If you want space, reliability and luxury go for the smallest american A class with LPG conversion.............not sure which the smallest one is but I am sure someone on here will :winky:

Happy hunting and welcome :thumb:

Boo

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back