Buccaneer Caravel (1 Viewer)

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
The main battery on my Ford Transit based Caravel lives under the drivers seat as does another battery!I just found the front battery to be dud.It was a Vartex? leisure battery.I v'e replaced it with a identical battery but am confused as to it's purpose!!If I remove the inline fuse from the leisure battery under the dinette seat nothing works.Both the positive leads on the batteries under the seat go onto a small black ford box and if I put a meter they are are interconnected so is the front battery a second battery for the chassis /cab?and not a leisure battery after all although the one I took out was so marked.on my control panel I can switch between aux/veh..I never us the veh setting in case it runs the main battery down but is their some kind of failsafe device.Both my workshop manual and the Buccaneer one don't mention the purpose of the front battery.Anyone know?

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
The two batteries under the drivers seat are starter batteries one is bigger than the other you need to change them both cos the old one will drain the new one they are connected in series. I think they put two in because you cannot get one big enough to start the engine, that would fit under the seat, poor design by ford

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The two batteries under the drivers seat are starter batteries one is bigger than the other you need to change them both cos the old one will drain the new one they are connected in series. I think they put two in because you cannot get one big enough to start the engine, that would fit under the seat, poor design by ford
In series??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Had a drink so not sure but I think the big battery is the starter and the small one is a aux battery to run the alarm, radio and central locking. Don't think they are connected.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
One way or another they have to be in parallel to be charged from the same alternator.

OP
OP
robrace
Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
Thanks for replies.yes most logical answer is that they are both"starter batteries"Whats thrown me was the one I took out was a leisure battery and I've replaced it with the same.Perhaps the previous owner thought the front battery was a "leisure" one.As I've had the vehicle 5 years and had no starter problems I think I will leave it as it is unless a problem occurs!!Having had another look at workshop manual it does say some vehicles are fitted with a second battery

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for replies.yes most logical answer is that they are both"starter batteries"Whats thrown me was the one I took out was a leisure battery and I've replaced it with the same.Perhaps the previous owner thought the front battery was a "leisure" one.As I've had the vehicle 5 years and had no starter problems I think I will leave it as it is unless a problem occurs!!Having had another look at workshop manual it does say some vehicles are fitted with a second battery
If it is a Mk 7 the same as mine then no they are not both starter batteries. One is used exclusively as a starter battery and the other is used for electronics and ancillary equipment If you go on to a Ford Tranny website you can find out all about it.

OP
OP
robrace
Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
So there must be some method of the two batteries being split with only one being used for each operation!If I switch the control panel to VEH I assume the current will then be drawn from the front vehicle(leisure)battery!Hopefully without running the starter battery down.I don't normally do this as I have two leisure batteries under the dinette which appear to be able to supply all of our needs when off hook up!I am still confused as everything appeared to be still working ok even though the front battery was dud!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back