Angus,Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B694
Exp
since 2011
Hi all,

A bit of advice please?

My broadband router is connected to the second socket that comes in the house but the third socket is the master one (seems strange already)

Should i connect my router to the master for better performance or get BT (get my wallet out) to put the master on the first socket?

Thanks for reading

Meexi

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sounds like your wiring is incorrect, the master should be the first and where you need to plug in the router for best performance.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Unless there is a cable problem in the extension socket, ie chewed by rats or mice, or it's and extensive run, it shouldn't make much difference.

Easiest way to test is to plug the router in the Master Socket .. compare the speed between the Master and the extension socket using Speed test .. run the tests over a period of say 24 hrs.. also best to do the tests with the PC connected to the router using a LAN cable rather than wireless.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Idealy it should be connected to the master :thumb:
Not long ago mine was playing up so I phoned Sky (provider) and they boosted my signal a few times but made little difference to the just over 2 meg speed,ended up with them sending a engineer out who tested everything and said I should be getting 5.5 meg --he ended up cutting the earth wire and thisimeadiately gave me the 5 meg :thumb: Told me the earth was not needed with modern phones ,but was needed yrs ago to make them ring but that had the effect of earthing and reducing speed :Smile:If you understand all that you understand more than me ::bigsmile::thumb:
all I can say is it works
terry

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
I was of the understanding whatever BT socket you fit the asdl connector this makes it the master socket and thus connecting broadband to this.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I have an old type wiring system with the incoming line going into an old junction box in the loft and fed off to various extensions radial fashion. When my connection started dropping out all the time Sky got the BT engineer in and he said the modem was hunting for a connection all the time through the configuration and wondered how I had ever got a decent connection. I rewired [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] from the loft to a new master socket near the desktop and ran an extension from there back to the phone in the hall. The two other extensions in the place were cut off as we have long since had a rechargeable phone anyway.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have an old type wiring system with the incoming line going into an old junction box in the loft and fed off to various extension radial fashion. When my connection started dropping out all the time Sky got the BT engineer in and he said the modem was hunting for a connection all the time through the configuration and wondered how I had ever got a decent connection.[HI] I rewired the from the loft to a new master socket [/HI]near the desktop and ran an extension from there back to the phone in the hall. The two other extensions in the place were cut off as we have long since had a rechargeable phone anyway.

I would have done the same.. and have done in the past..

but just just a word of warning before anyone starts rewiring..

Any wiring BEFORE and including the Master socket belongs to BT.. it is illegal to open the new type Master socket.. but you can take the face plate off and plug into the test socket.. this disconnects your extension sockets.. but don't touch any wiring inside..

If you mess up and have to call BT out.... big money

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
I would have done the same.. and have done in the past..

but just just a word of warning before anyone starts rewiring..

Any wiring BEFORE and including the Master socket belongs to BT.. it is illegal to open the new type Master socket.. but you can take the face plate off and plug into the test socket.. this disconnects your extension sockets.. but don't touch any wiring inside..

If you mess up and have to call BT out.... big money
As I have had ongoing issues with BT I will tell you what they said to me.
Try disconnecting everything you can and run the test from the test line, similar to what Jim is saying.
They said this should be the first socket that the main BT cable attaches to.
The test if the new type looks like this attachment
Run speed test with router plugged into this :thumb:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 19

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As I have had ongoing issues with BT I will tell you what they said to me.
Try disconnecting everything you can and run the test from the test line, similar to what Jim is saying.
They said this should be the first socket that the main BT cable attaches to.
The test if the new type looks like this attachment
Run speed test with router plugged into this :thumb:

A pic is worth a thousand words..

Exactly what I was told when i had an on-going problem with a poor line ..

I was 99% sure it had nothing to do with the internal wiring as I had installed the extension myself.. but just to prove, and before paying out, I did what they said.. eventually they conceded it was a line or exchange problem and sorted it .. but it took a few weeks.. plus a few visits from a BT guy.

This is the official BT speed test site and the ONLY one they will pay heed to ..

Broken Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If you have an ongoing issue it is worth keeping the test results on Speed Test..

this is mine since July 2012.. you can see two periods when it was bad and needed fixed.. tonight is poor .. 1.26 Mb/s but that is due (hopefully) to it being a Sat night at peak time..

I wonder when we will catch up with third world speeds.. :RollEyes:

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    96.8 KB · Views: 9

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We have been having problems with our internet over the last few weeks, it keeps dropping of the internet and saying the "DSL" is not connected and check our instructions, I called Tiscali and they have checked the line and say there is no fault on the line.
Got fed up with intermitten internet and costing the earth for broadbandand phone line, so have today bought a 3 mifi so we can use it at home and away in camper, can also connect upto 5 things, such as phone, laptop, table etc
Tiscali can go and do one!!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We have been having problems with our internet over the last few weeks, it keeps dropping of the internet and saying the "DSL" is not connected and check our instructions, I called Tiscali and they have checked the line and say there is no fault on the line.
Got fed up with intermitten internet and costing the earth for broadbandand phone line, so have today bought a 3 mifi so we can use it at home and away in camper, can also connect upto 5 things, such as phone, laptop, table etc
Tiscali can go and do one!!

I'd do the same if we lived in a 3G coverage area..

barely get a mobile phone signal let alone a decent data connection :Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back