BT Smart Talk, has anyone used it? (1 Viewer)

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
This is just an enquiry whether anyone has downloaded and used the Smart Talk system.

BT claim that by signing up to this free app you can (while out of this country) call anywhere in the world for the price you would pay as if you were calling from your home phone.

So, if you were on an anytime package with BT all your calls from your mobile, through this app would be free. As I understand it.

Comments please.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have it on my smart phone, have used it in France but you need to be hooked up to wifi to use it for free.
you also have to opt in AND ALLOW YOUR HOME ROUTER ( WHICH IS A SPLIT ROUTER ) to be available for others in the scheme.

have used it a few times in France only once could not get a line and i think that may have been something to do with the local wifi.

OP
OP
cydersyd

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
Thanks Phil D, I will bear that in mind.

Perhaps we are the only two that have heard of it.

Cydersyd.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
BT Smart Talk

Hi Sidersid

Just to confirm that from experience the App works in that it will enable you to phone, whilst Wifi connected anywhere in the world, any UK landline and have the call charge added to your home landline billl at the same rate as would have applied if you had made the call at the same time from your home phone. So if you pick the right time the calls are free.

I have experienced an occasion when the App would not work when attached to a particular Wifi but BT do indicate that this can happen.

I think from 1st Jan they are including 60 free minutes per month for calls made using the App in the UK which could benefit those not on the Anytime tariff.

You can have more than 1 phone associated to your account (up to 5 I think) which means that you could allow family and frends to keep in touch whilst away. Just remember all their calls are charged to your account.:Eeek:

There is not a need to have your router available for others as this is not part of the Fon system.

Doug

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I used it in Holland & Germany, the quality of the wifi signal is critical to the quality of the communication on the phone. With one wifi signal the call receiver could not hear me but I could hear them.

I opted into the fon system but my BT router is long gone so I do not provide a reciprocal service.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We have just signed up because it's also useful for making 0800 calls from your mobile.
For making calls from France when on wifi try the Viber app. It's free and you can make free calls and send free texts when on wifi.
Happy travelling - or dreaming of travelling. ::bigsmile:
Mags

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
We have just signed up because it's also useful for making 0800 calls from your mobile.
For making calls from France when on wifi [HI]try the Viber app[/HI]. It's free and you can make free calls and send free texts when on wifi.
Happy travelling - or dreaming of travelling. ::bigsmile:
Mags

i have used viber results were ok but i thought the other person had to be on Viber also, i could be wrong.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
For info. If you're making 0800 calls from your mobile phone you can use 0800 buster
011-835-20800..

Apr 10, 2012
Warks / Leics border
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I have used it from Spain. Quality of connection seems to depend on strength of WiFi connection and it seems to have poor performance during peak call times (early evening etc). But if you are on BT free calls anytime tariff at home it is worth trying.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Btsmarttalk

This is the 0800buster web site which gives the info. http://www.0800buster.co.uk/

Viber is between Phones,Tablets and computers with Viber on them. This looks useful as it is available via Wifi at any time of day and from anywhere including to mobiles. Costs nothing for your Family and Friends to download the App.

Doug

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Re Viber - it's true that the other person needs to have viber on their mobile too. It's a free app. It's the cheapest way to make mobile to mobile calls and BT best for calls to landlines in the UK.
All we need is an excellent and cheap wifi access wherever we go outside of the UK ... not so easy!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back