Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
yes

it works, but is slow. (half meg typical)
ok for emails etc but internet needs patience

still much faster than 3g

peter

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
yes

it works, but is slow. (half meg typical)
ok for emails etc but internet needs patience

still much faster than 3g

peter

Good morning Peter...

You have got me all confused (easily done I hear you say!)

My 3G connection here is around 5 meg and in UK is 3 point something (TMobile)... surely this is a bit quicker than "half a meg"

JJ :Smile:

PS I use "Broadband Speed Checker" to test speed rather than take my ISP'sword for it!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
Good morning Peter...

You have got me all confused (easily done I hear you say!)

My 3G connection here is around 5 meg and in UK is 3 point something (TMobile)... surely this is a bit quicker than "half a meg"

JJ :Smile:

PS I use "Broadband Speed Checker" to test speed rather than take my ISP'sword for it!!!

With my local wifi thingie (bt home hub), it measures about 4 meg
if i select BTFON OR BT OPENZONE, uses same hub and measures less than 0.4 meg

not tried to measure 3g only, with wifi switched off, but seems to take ages to load. only use this if travelling etc.

peter

Maurice & Val

Free Member
Jul 4, 2010
Hornsea, East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25+ years
Use it all the time when I find it. Speed varies FON is fixed at 1/2Mb but openzone can be quicker the closer you are to the hub. I've put an external antenna and network receiver on my van which picks up signals from futher afield. Does a great job usually. If not it's back to the T-mobile dongle.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Use it all the time when I find it. Speed varies FON is fixed at 1/2Mb but openzone can be quicker the closer you are to the hub. I've put an external antenna and network receiver on my van which picks up signals from futher afield. Does a great job usually. If not it's back to the T-mobile dongle.

What type of external antenna have you got. I have been looking at this one HERE
Anyone tried one of these yet?

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
To get any sort of distance you need a directional antenna with a gain of about 16-18db. I have one of these

Link Removed

That picture was taken in France where I used it to access SFR or Neuf hotspots in houses similar to FON and BT Open Zone here. The houses were over 1 km away and it worked ok. It claims to be able to work at 5 miles away but pointed at a house 1 km or so is the limit really line of sight. It mounts high up on the back of the van normally.

Its very good on campsites where you can park anywhere on the site and not have to take your laptop to reception or near where the wifi is located.

I got it from here

Link Removed

Maurice & Val

Free Member
Jul 4, 2010
Hornsea, East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25+ years
Mine is one of these
[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alfa-Adapter-AWUS036H-Magmount-Aerial/dp/B000WXSO76/ref=tag_tdp_sv_edpp_i[/ame]
(the 1000mw version) with an external antenna on a long cable which came with it. The antenna itself is only about 5 inches high on a mini magmount about the diameter of 10p which I've fed through to the roof and glued down.

Maurice & Val

Free Member
Jul 4, 2010
Hornsea, East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25+ years
Just been looking on Amazon, mine looks a bit out of date now. Had it around a year which in computer terms means it positively vintage by now.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi I am posting now on a Fon hot spot in Whitby, have used them before does not seem to be running to slow either. Got myself a BT dongle it searches out the sites and logs you on which is free or if I need to use the dongle as the sole means of logging on then I pay. at the moment I am on free for a month then just pay for what I use. But up to now have managed to use it with Open Zone & Fon so no charge.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
The last time I used a BT connection I first had to purchase air time giving me a code to enter before connection. Is this now a free service or am I confused with another service offered by BT.
Regarding my 3 dongle I have no problem using Skype with video connecting through my 3 dongle in most parts of this country, this would not be possible with a slow connection. :thumb:

Soundman

Free Member
May 1, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
16 Years
To get any sort of distance you need a directional antenna with a gain of about 16-18db. I have one of these

Link Removed

That picture was taken in France where I used it to access SFR or Neuf hotspots in houses similar to FON and BT Open Zone here. The houses were over 1 km away and it worked ok. It claims to be able to work at 5 miles away but pointed at a house 1 km or so is the limit really line of sight. It mounts high up on the back of the van normally.

Its very good on campsites where you can park anywhere on the site and not have to take your laptop to reception or near where the wifi is located.

I got it from here

Link Removed

Do you think this would work on a Vespa equally as well?

Soundman

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Dont know if it would work better on a Vespa but it would certainly look better! Such lovely looking machines!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back