Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
They are ok . We dont have the super fast one in our area yet though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
if its down to price then... whichever floats your boat ::bigsmile:

But if its down to technical capability, bandwidth and resilience and all that then id stay with VM to be honest, its a much better designed network!!

Wish i could get anything thats faster than 5mbps:cry:

BUT - may end up with fiber to the house soon ::bigsmile:
our current copper cable is on its last legs and will need 2.5 miles replacing and it will be cheaper for Bt to run a fiber than copper these days...and as we have 3 DSL/phone lines to the house (2 work and 1 private)...BT have already said its time to rerun as the current one has been repaired so many times its past it and cant support that much traffic etc without hitting service levels....i helped them understand the last bit...seen as im 'in the business' ::bigsmile:

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
I've been happy with BT infinity. Had the 40mbs version for quite a while and very happy with the reliability. Since upgraded ( no extra cost) to the 80mbs version - actually getting 69-72mbs but hey I'm happy with it.:thumb: Upload speed is approx 16/17mbs.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
fibre optic

We been lucky enough to have had the Fibre optic from Bt Infinity since October last year, absolutely fantastic.
Saying that it`s brilliant if you download a lot of stuff which we do if you don`t then can`t really see the point in paying the extra.
We started with the 10gb then upgraded to the unlimited, had a problem in the first month, they came out 4 hrs after we reported it and changed all the equipment, sorted.
Well impressed with their after sales service unlike Talk Talk that left us with no phone or internet connection for a month.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I just wish I had the chance to get one of these!

There is no cable where I live.

BT Infinity is in the dim and distant future - if ever.

We do have broadband that runs at about 3.5mb. It has recently slowed down from about 5. I would complain but it seems pointless since BT say we should get about 1mb!

Oh, and my mobile phone doesn't work at home either.

Do I live in the wilds somewhere? Well it is a village, but I would not call 5 miles south of Shrewsbury very much in the wilds!

Just got back from a trip around the far north of scandinavia. Guess what, my mobile worked everywhere no matter how remote. And many sites in Norway had free WIFI, in one case running at nearly 20mb.

Theres something wrong with the infrastructure in this country,

Rant over!

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I had a call asking me if I wanted a free Virgin upgrade to a tivo box, from 10 to 60 broadband, a new wireless hub and they reduced the monthly fee by £2 !!
Because of the competition they are trying to get people to sign up for a one year contract which I was happy to do.
If you want to reduce your bill or increase your package then ring them and say you are thinking of leaving, thats what I did a few months ago and I am now paying £25 pm less than I was a year ago

Dave :thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Currently VM 10meg, BT have offered 45m fibre optic same price...

ShiftZZ
The reason that I ask is that I've been with virgin for many years and always willing to change for the better. I was going to negotiate a lower price with virgin but if BT are offering something better I'm not to proud to change. :thumb:

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
BT Infinity is okay. Getting about 26kbs against their advertised 38kbs. Customer service is not good. The "press 1, press 2, etc, etc. takes you round in circles. It's difficult to get a human to talk to. Also check your bill. They charged me for what should have been free add ons.
If anyone has any contact numbers I'd be grateful. Hopefully I won't need them.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
been looking myself

our line is super slow takes an age to open a pdf

daughter moves out soon

then its gonna be sky or bt

i am thinking bt for one reason i get

0800 nos free on my moby but skys 0871 is 70 p a min

that will be my deciding point

bear in mind the phone wires were stolen 4 times

in 3 years and when you try and place a fault bt will only deal with sky

i will probably go bt :thumb:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
living in the sticks waiting for net connection is like watching paint dry. ivory55

Don't have to be in the sticks I am 25 ish miles from central london
Download .19
upload .49 :thumb:

I wish I could watch a you tube clip without
Having to wait ages took 10 mins to watch a minute clip

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2010
glasgow
Funster No
MH
banger autotrail
Exp
bt

moved from virgin to bt .worst thing i ever did customer service is unbelievable they still owe me £180 from October 2011 .its really doing ma heid in speaking to people in India as another post says you go round in circles and just get a Curry at the end.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Currently VM 10meg, BT have offered 45m fibre optic same price...

ShiftZZ

Cornish Farm Touring Park had it installed yesterday (the business broadband version)

We have had problems for ages with the line dropping out which gave the wardens a headache as the site offers free WiFi. We changed everything and in the end called in BT who "claimed" that there was nothing wrong with their line.

However, went to to suggest that we should switch to Fibre Optic. The change over was straight forward and now everyone on the campsite is benefiting.

As we are the wrong side of the M5 from Taunton everything has to come our side by bridge, hence no Virgin or Gas supply so we assumed we would never get F/0 But apparently when they resurfaced the bridge last year they put the supply across

Shame that BT didn't bother to tell us though:Doh:

The improvement in the speed is tremendous and the wireless router is exceptionally good

Eddie

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
moved from virgin to bt .worst thing i ever did customer service is unbelievable they still owe me £180 from October 2011 .its really doing ma heid in speaking to people in India as another post says you go round in circles and just get a Curry at the end.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with BT, we`ve never had that, certainly never spoke to India when phoning, usually get a nice helpful Geordie Lass.
Try phoning in the morning, a friend told me when phoning certain companies help lines in the morning you get a British connection in the afternoon you get an Indian one.

Sep 8, 2010
Kent the white cliffs end
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur Lvx 8
Exp
Not long enough
Sorry to hear you are having trouble with BT, we`ve never had that, certainly never spoke to India when phoning, usually get a nice helpful Geordie Lass.
Try phoning in the morning, a friend told me when phoning certain companies help lines in the morning you get a British connection in the afternoon you get an Indian one.

Will have to try phoning in the morning it dose my head in trying to talk to someone in India with virgin:Angry:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Reading your posts, I think I am better staying with the devil I know, at least the Virgin Indian connection is improving. I am now on first name terms with the call centre in Delhi I normally speak to Steven, David or Sandra, I wonder if they are their real names:Smile:

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Those of you with Virgin.....If you press "5" "are you thinking of leaving us?" then you get to speak to someone English.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back