BT Home Hub & BT Fon (1 Viewer)

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Just had a flyer from BT offering what seems a reasonable offer, they say the BT Fon has access to 4 million wi-fi hot spots nationwide, and a also in Europe.

Can anyone advise how good this service is in say France and Spain

We are currently using 3's Mifi, but that contract is up for renewal now, hence looking around, any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation:thumb:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Bear in mind that many BTFON hotspots are in people's homes, its a shared service in the UK with BT broadband. So to use in the UK in many cases you need to drive around housing estates and park outside peoples houses. You may not wish to do this, especially in a motorhome!

That said you also get BT openzone hotspots included.

In theory this is an excellent idea. I have had the facility for some years, but unfortunately I can honestly say that I have only actually used it about twice in the UK and never elsewhere because I have found the hotspots not to be where I am! Maybe I should try harder.
But in other countries I have never been short of hotspots from other sources for very long.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
I've had fair success in the UK and virtually non in France, even using a booster. But then we were often in fairly rural spots.
I'm afraid I cant speak for Spain.
I think this will take you to a map. http://maps.fon.com/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
As stated by a previous poster, the theory is good but in practice it can be difficult to get a free signal. Plus BTs customer service contact is not easy.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Cr** is the answer..
Had FON for almost 2 years, UK is good can use many BT spots..

France, I have only ever had 1 connection and that turned up in a tiny village in the middle of nowhere but very handy.. Other than that not much else.

Spain, Even using my wifi extender aerial in big town like Benidorm, never found any..:Angry:
Although their map show many spots, guess everyone must have turned their routers off when we were there..

I think I paid a one off of about £40 for the plug in FON box, happy with use that i have had in UK..

Johno

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
Kent
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30+ with caravanning & camping
I'm sending this reply via a BT hotspot at Tavistock C&CC it seems to be working well at present but I haven't used the system abroad.

John.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I have found loads of places to connect in the UK only a few abroad though.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We have it and have founds some good spots for fon, but we also have 3 mifi and no way would I consider giving my 3 up for the fon, 3 mifi is much more reliable in my opinion.

OP
OP
nomadic
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Thank you very much for all your input.

We have searched the Fon map in France, and it is indeed "few and far between Fon spots"

Looks like the 3 Mifi wins, will look into unlocking it, to avoid monthly contract payments.

Once again thanks one and all:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back