Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi all

Just a quick point I need help with.

I am with BT and use FON in this country when I am in the van. Rarely have I had a problem with it. I use the BT wifi app on the phone, never had a problem, but reading another forum and the subject came up about using FON in Europe. The consensus of opinion was that it is not good and people can't connect with a BT password.
On the FON website it shows hotspots everywhere so there shouldn't (in theory) be a problem but in reality what other experiences have any funsters had.
I would like some help with this as I'm traveling in France and Spain next month.
Am I going to have a desperate search for an SFR card and pay a premium for a little bit of internet access or is FON going to be easy to connect to as in UK?

Many thanks
Gary

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi all

I am with BT and use FON in this country when I am in the van. Rarely have I had a problem with it. I use the BT wifi app on the phone, never had a problem, but reading another forum and the subject came up about using FON in Europe. The consensus of opinion was that it is not good and people can't connect with a BT password.
On the FON website it shows hotspots everywhere so there shouldn't (in theory) be a problem but in reality what other experiences have any funsters had.
I would like some help with this as I'm traveling in France and Spain next month.
Am I going to have a desperate search for an SFR card and pay a premium for a little bit of internet access or is FON going to be easy to connect to as in UK?

Many thanks
Gary

Never had much luck with it, but I have found just for emails and stuff you can find wifi in most cafés and bars in France and in the streets as well , as I say not fast but good enough for what I use:thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have used BT smart talk in France last summer . only had a connection problem once.

Quote from BT;

BT SmartTalk App

Start to save money on expensive calls from your mobile

BT customers could save money on expensive mobile calls like 0800, 0845 and 0870 with the new BT SmartTalk app.

[HI]You could even make savings on calls to the UK from abroad, or make calls without using any Pay-As-You-Go mobile credit, by accessing your BT calling plan from your smartphone[/HI].

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi all

I am with BT and use FON in this country when I am in the van. Rarely have I had a problem with it. I use the BT wifi app on the phone, never had a problem, but reading another forum and the subject came up about using FON in Europe. The consensus of opinion was that it is not good and people can't connect with a BT password....WRONG
Am I going to have a desperate search for an SFR card and pay a premium for a little bit of internet access or is FON going to be easy to connect to as in UK? NO because the Uk is more concentrated with BT members on a smaller Island...France less people to the sqm....so phone lines are more spread out...so it depends how close to a SFR land line your and how good is your booooooster

Many thanks
Gary

Hi Gary...we live in France.and FON is very good.we use FON when out in the motorhome..and every year it get's better as more come online...all SFR internet landline in France are automatic FON connected....other internet providers like ours we have to buy a fonera box....now the BT email address and password get's you into SFR/FON in France...also into zon/FON in Portugal...not a lot of FON in Spain.
When you get onto the internet and get the FON connection page..there is a drop down box that asks if you are a FON member or BT member and you click on the correct one enter your email add and password, click accept...then you should get a countdown screen..7,6,5,4,3,2,1 then you are on the internet..
We always use FON in the uk through BT/FON.......BRILL:thumb:

BUT Gary you do need a internet booster to pull in the signal...or you would have be in there front room or parked on there drive to pull a signal with a normal laptop or a wifi tablet.

Mel

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back