BT FON France

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by gazza280, Jan 7, 2014.

1. gazza280

gazza280 Read Only Funster

Hi all

Just a quick point I need help with.

I am with BT and use FON in this country when I am in the van. Rarely have I had a problem with it. I use the BT wifi app on the phone, never had a problem, but reading another forum and the subject came up about using FON in Europe. The consensus of opinion was that it is not good and people can't connect with a BT password.
    On the FON website it shows hotspots everywhere so there shouldn't (in theory) be a problem but in reality what other experiences have any funsters had.
    I would like some help with this as I'm traveling in France and Spain next month.
    Am I going to have a desperate search for an SFR card and pay a premium for a little bit of internet access or is FON going to be easy to connect to as in UK?

Many thanks
    Gary

2. chaser

chaser Funster

Never had much luck with it, but I have found just for emails and stuff you can find wifi in most cafés and bars in France and in the streets as well , as I say not fast but good enough for what I use:thumb:

3. Phill D

Phill D

i have used BT smart talk in France last summer . only had a connection problem once.

Quote from BT;

BT SmartTalk App

Start to save money on expensive calls from your mobile

BT customers could save money on expensive mobile calls like 0800, 0845 and 0870 with the new BT SmartTalk app.

[HI]You could even make savings on calls to the UK from abroad, or make calls without using any Pay-As-You-Go mobile credit, by accessing your BT calling plan from your smartphone[/HI].

4. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

5. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Hi Gary...we live in France.and FON is very good.we use FON when out in the motorhome..and every year it get's better as more come online...all SFR internet landline in France are automatic FON connected....other internet providers like ours we have to buy a fonera box....now the BT email address and password get's you into SFR/FON in France...also into zon/FON in Portugal...not a lot of FON in Spain.
    When you get onto the internet and get the FON connection page..there is a drop down box that asks if you are a FON member or BT member and you click on the correct one enter your email add and password, click accept...then you should get a countdown screen..7,6,5,4,3,2,1 then you are on the internet..
    We always use FON in the uk through BT/FON.......BRILL:thumb:

BUT Gary you do need a internet booster to pull in the signal...or you would have be in there front room or parked on there drive to pull a signal with a normal laptop or a wifi tablet.

Mel

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    • Like Like x 1