BT 500 Mains Adaptors - Internet over the mains

Discussion in 'Computers' started by John Laidler, Feb 28, 2015.

1. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Having moved into my new shed a week or so ago I have been accessing the internet using a pair of old dLAN adaptors which connect my router to the shed using the mains circuit in the house. Trying to watch BBC iPlayer this morning things were a bit slow with buffering every few minutes so I dug out the instructions for the units and read that they were rated at 14 Mb/s which is a tad slow compared to what you can get these days which are 500 Mb/s upwards. After a bit of Googling I settled on the BT adaptors which are £30 a pair from B&Q - except we don't have a B&Q anywhere near here so I had to pay a bit more from PCWorld.

The result is they are brilliant. Download speeds over the mains are virtually the same as I got when plugged directly into the router and the extender has the added advantage that it produces a local wifi hotspot so my smartphone can also connect to the world.

I can recommend them, they work straight out of the box, no setting up.

They are number 7 in this review - but the price is out of date, they are much cheaper now.
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/3490638/15-best-powerline-adapters-2015-uk/

• Like Like x 1
  2. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Bit worrying that the other half is making you move into the shed.........................

• Like Like x 1
  3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Spooky to, by a strange coincidence, what was my office in the house has now become the "Sewing room". A sewing machine and an ironing board have moved in there. Very odd coincidence.

• Like Like x 1