Brownhills storage closing

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by camel, Feb 7, 2012.

1. camel

camel Funster

Brownhills storage in Birtley, Durham is issuing 2 months notice to everyone on the storage park as it is closing April. I was informed by a guy removing his caravan on Sat morning whilst I was there, he had received a letter that morning. We are still waiting for our letter to arrive, 3days later.

Does anyone have any experience (good/bad) of storage sites in the Co Durham area, thanks

2. scran

scran Read Only Funster

motorhome storage

there is storage van hee Felling

3. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

If this is true, the b*st*rds haven't told me yet - time to look for a new space on scran's drive:BigGrin:

4. camel

camel Funster

It's true, I rang yesterday to confirm and they said it was because of increased insurance costs. They said it wasn't viable to keep storage on. 200 spaces at average £400+ is only £80000 a year!! Looking for a field now to set up a business :Wink:

5. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

No surprise there, showroom and gates next.
    Storage available at Elddis Transport, Consett and T & N White at Park Road Industrial Estate, Consett. Both secure. Plenty of farm sites but safety and vermon issues are the problem.

6. dellwood33

I am going to hunt for a new site today.:Smile: Could be fun because there will be 200+ owners from Brownhill's site looking for a space.

Consett is a bit far out for me, I want to have holidays in the MH, not have to take a holiday to get to it :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  7. pablomc

pablomc Funster Life Member

News to me also. :Eeek:

Wonder if they are looking at the bigger picture?

E.g. if you use their storage you are more likely to use their shop and workshops. Sounds like they are winding down the site for closure. :Sad:

8. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

I,m just going to phone plod, and tell him that there are a load of "travellers" huntng for a new site locally,...that should get the buggers out in the cold, instead of huddling round a heater issuing crime numbers over the phone:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Hope you find somewhere good quickly.

10. dellwood33

I have been good intel (Thanks Paul) with regard to the old Discover site at Birtley and am on their "List" :Smile:
    I am going to look at another site near to the Metro Centre which will probably be ideal for us as it is only 3 miles away :thumb: Handy for some retail therapy as well :BigGrin:

Just got my notification from Brownhills this morning citing increased insurance costs being more than the storage income. It must be bloody expensive insurance :Eeek:
    The letter also states that they intend to make "Alternative Use of the land" whatever that means - a little housing estate perhaps ?:RollEyes:

11. pablomc

pablomc Funster Life Member

For anyone else who is interested, Catterick Caravans are taking over the old Discover site at the top of Birtley and will have a small storage area opening in about a months time (40-45 units). They are starting a waiting list if you give them a call 0191 4105221.

Alternatives also on the CaSSOA site.

12. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Wow one part of the industry I rthought was safe..................:Sad:

13. patyogi

patyogi Read Only Funster

Boooo

From what I've heard of Brownhills the whole place needs to close down, too big for it's boots. lost contact with exactly who the customer is.:Doh:

14. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

the trouble with storage anywhere is non payers, it must load everyone elses costs. Local storage down here is £1 a day which seems reasonable but a bit far from durham:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: Not just insurance must be fulltime staff (assuming its maned 24 hrs a day, that could come to £50000 ish). So not such a goldmine.

15. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

I think they would be better going in to storage business as they are useless in the motor home business

16. dellwood33

I just have to refit my newly charged battery to the MH next week & I will be removing it to a new storage area which is a lot closer to home.
    I managed to get a spaxce at Storage24 Ltd. which is located close to the Metro Centre.

Anyone else interested can give James Roberts a call on 07909 741680.

Its considerably cheaper than the Brownhills set up - well you would expect that wouldn't you :Smile:

• Like Like x 2