Broken Habitation door handle (1 Viewer)

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Having done a little research, it seems likely that the cable has snapped, or at least come adrift from the interior handle on my Cheyenne's habitation door.
It's always been a bit iffy, but a few weeks ago something went and the handle now does nothing but flap about!
Assuming that I can get the parts I need from Autotrail, could I repair it myself?
I've just taken the van in today for its annual service on Monday, but I'm thinking that labour costs alone will be high for repairing the door and will likely require a return trip when parts arrive.
Has anyone done such a repair?
The key question is how to get into the door to see what's happened? It's usually a case of unscrew a handle, or prise off a piece of trim. But I don't want to damage anything or remove anything unnecessarily.
Any techies out there? :helpsos:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Ordered my door lock Dec 16th from Autotrail (ITALY) got them through on 27th Feb,

Be prepared for a bit of a wait if you are going that way:Sad:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Having done a little research, it seems likely that the cable has snapped, or at least come adrift from the interior handle on my Cheyenne's habitation door.
It's always been a bit iffy, but a few weeks ago something went and the handle now does nothing but flap about!
Assuming that I can get the parts I need from Autotrail, could I repair it myself?
I've just taken the van in today for its annual service on Monday, but I'm thinking that labour costs alone will be high for repairing the door and will likely require a return trip when parts arrive.
Has anyone done such a repair?
The key question is how to get into the door to see what's happened? It's usually a case of unscrew a handle, or prise off a piece of trim. But I don't want to damage anything or remove anything unnecessarily.
Any techies out there? :helpsos:

If you do a Google search for

"how to repair habitation door lock"

You will find quite a few solutions

It is surprising how many are Autotrail.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
the inner handle return spring broke on mine so i emailed Dethleffs and they sent me a pdf by return on how to dismantle the door and repair it.
dont think you would get this from a british company though try the workshop at Johns Cross they are really helpful.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
the inner handle return spring broke on mine so i emailed Dethleffs and they sent me a pdf by return on how to dismantle the door and repair it.
dont think you would get this from a british company though try the workshop at Johns Cross they are really helpful.

Thanks for the mention aba.

Please feel free to contact us at Johnscross workshops (ask for Glenn or Ian) and we will try our best to talk you through the repair.:thumb:

Many thanks

Glenn Harris

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
Hi,
I have just had a similar problem with my Autotrail Chieftan habitation door, if you pm me for my number i will gladly talk you through it.

regards
Jeff

OP
OP
WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Hi,
I have just had a similar problem with my Autotrail Chieftan habitation door, if you pm me for my number i will gladly talk you through it.

regards
Jeff

Thank you Jeff, that's very kind of you.
I have a lot going on this week/weekend, including nursing a sick cat, so I won't pm you until next week. Then you can let me know when would suit you to talk. In the meantime, is your door similar to mine.............

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Door 2.jpg
    Door 2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
It's been a while but I finally took the black plastic backing plate off from behind the internal door levers to take a peek inside. Sure enough the part of the door opening lever which is attached to the connecting rod had snapped off, disconnecting the rod from the lever.
After lifting the mattress and groping around the sofa, I found enough pennies to buy a replacement assembly from Autotrail. I tried all the other usual suspects first, but nobody stocked this. A snip at £96.72 from Autotrail, incuding p&p :Eeek:
Plucked up the courage yesterday to dismantle the door (including part of the alarm :RollEyes:) and successfully replaced the parts without dropping screws under the van, or onto the grass :thumb:
Surprisingly easy if you take your time so, if anyone else has this problem, the parts are expensive (and the new parts look no stronger than the old) but you can save on an hour or two's labour by doing it yourself.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010

Autotrail are very helpful and have e-mailed me pdf instructions for items and always talk to me, even if I am complaining (whinging) about something.
I have no problems with their aftercare departments.

mfh27748

Free Member
Mar 4, 2008
essex/london
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
since 2008
our 2008 Apache has just had another handle break this is possible the third in five years!!
Auto-trail seem to show no sense of guilt and want to send you a replacement F.O.C.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
our 2008 Apache has just had another handle break this is possible the third in five years!!
Auto-trail seem to show no sense of guilt and want to send you a replacement F.O.C.

the fact it keeps breaking seems to indicate theres another fault causing it. perhaps the internal mechanism is in need of greasing to make it easier to open

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back