Broken Habitation door handle

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by WhiteCheyenneMan, Jul 7, 2012.

1. WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan Funster

Having done a little research, it seems likely that the cable has snapped, or at least come adrift from the interior handle on my Cheyenne's habitation door.
    It's always been a bit iffy, but a few weeks ago something went and the handle now does nothing but flap about!
    Assuming that I can get the parts I need from Autotrail, could I repair it myself?
    I've just taken the van in today for its annual service on Monday, but I'm thinking that labour costs alone will be high for repairing the door and will likely require a return trip when parts arrive.
    Has anyone done such a repair?
    The key question is how to get into the door to see what's happened? It's usually a case of unscrew a handle, or prise off a piece of trim. But I don't want to damage anything or remove anything unnecessarily.
    Any techies out there? :helpsos:

2. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Ordered my door lock Dec 16th from Autotrail (ITALY) got them through on 27th Feb,

Be prepared for a bit of a wait if you are going that way:Sad:

3. SandJ

SandJ Read Only Funster

If you do a Google search for

"how to repair habitation door lock"

You will find quite a few solutions

It is surprising how many are Autotrail.

4. aba

aba

the inner handle return spring broke on mine so i emailed Dethleffs and they sent me a pdf by return on how to dismantle the door and repair it.
    dont think you would get this from a british company though try the workshop at Johns Cross they are really helpful.

5. WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan Funster

Unfortunately, when it comes to handle repairs, most of them are my query on various forums :Rofl1:

6. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Thanks for the mention aba.

Please feel free to contact us at Johnscross workshops (ask for Glenn or Ian) and we will try our best to talk you through the repair.:thumb:

Many thanks

Glenn Harris

7. the stig

the stig Funster

Hi,
    I have just had a similar problem with my Autotrail Chieftan habitation door, if you pm me for my number i will gladly talk you through it.

regards
    Jeff

8. WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan Funster

Thank you Jeff, that's very kind of you.
    I have a lot going on this week/weekend, including nursing a sick cat, so I won't pm you until next week. Then you can let me know when would suit you to talk. In the meantime, is your door similar to mine.............

Thanks again!

Attached Files:

9. WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan Funster

It's been a while but I finally took the black plastic backing plate off from behind the internal door levers to take a peek inside. Sure enough the part of the door opening lever which is attached to the connecting rod had snapped off, disconnecting the rod from the lever.
    After lifting the mattress and groping around the sofa, I found enough pennies to buy a replacement assembly from Autotrail. I tried all the other usual suspects first, but nobody stocked this. A snip at £96.72 from Autotrail, incuding p&p :Eeek:
    Plucked up the courage yesterday to dismantle the door (including part of the alarm :RollEyes:) and successfully replaced the parts without dropping screws under the van, or onto the grass :thumb:
    Surprisingly easy if you take your time so, if anyone else has this problem, the parts are expensive (and the new parts look no stronger than the old) but you can save on an hour or two's labour by doing it yourself.

10. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Autotrail are very helpful and have e-mailed me pdf instructions for items and always talk to me, even if I am complaining (whinging) about something.
    I have no problems with their aftercare departments.

11. mfh27748

mfh27748 Read Only Funster

our 2008 Apache has just had another handle break this is possible the third in five years!!
    Auto-trail seem to show no sense of guilt and want to send you a replacement F.O.C.

12. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

the fact it keeps breaking seems to indicate theres another fault causing it. perhaps the internal mechanism is in need of greasing to make it easier to open