Broke the 13 stone barrier!

Discussion in 'Funsters on a diet' started by Dave and Ginny, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

After returning from Spain in June weighing in at 14.11 stone I was determined to to loose some weight and hopefully feel and look a bit better. Both Ginny and I have now been trying to shed some excess, both of us need to as we have some health issues; Ginny with a rare neurological condition that causes weakness to the muscles and me with asthma.

We've not tried any fad diets as we knew they would probably result in us missing too much of the things we like ;), just sensible eating, lots of fish and chicken and only occasional red meat, salads and lots of fruit. We've cut right down on bread and cheeses, which was difficult, no biscuits and cakes and only occasional chocolate treats :rolleyes:. As for alcohol, that's been cut back but only to just below the weekly recommended amounts.

I found I dropped the first stone fairly quickly, followed by another half or so, but it's been difficult getting it to move since the onset of Autumn and not getting out and about so much. I've taken to riding the bike more and finally this morning I've weighed in at 12 stone 13.

The best thing about it is dropping down a couple of inches around the waist 38" to just under 36" and being able to fit into medium size instead of large or extra large! Ginny is down by about a stone and a dress size.

We both really now appreciate the benefits; Ginny is feeling so much better, can move easier with more energy. I'm using my ventalin less and now seem to be able to cycle up to about 20 miles with no effort!

:):):):)
    Dave and Ginny

• Like Like x 40
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Well done (y)

We did the same last year I hit 15 stone and was determined to get it off. No faddy diet just sensible healthy eating and regular exercise now 13stone 7lb and stayed at that for a year waist 38 to 34 and feel so much better.
    Keep it up:)

• Like Like x 13
  3. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Good on you!! (y)

I have lot a stone since January, just by eating smaller portions. :)

• Like Like x 12
  4. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

That's great. Well done both of you. The only pounds I've lost are out my pocket. I'm starting my diet 2mor I tell myself every day.

• Like Like x 12
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. barsteward

barsteward Funster

Well done both of you.(y)

I am indeed fortunate....my wife won't cook for me and I'm to lazy.:D

• Like Like x 9
  6. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Dieting isn't me, however, I sat down and thought about what I ate. Never eaten breakfast since The Army, but always had a 'largish' lunch, you know, couple of pork pies, and a sandwich.....Then a large hot meal for tea, plus maybe a fruit pie 'nibble' around 11.00pm.
    Just cut back to either one pie or the sandwich, and have a smaller evening meal, plus forget the fruit pie, just maybe sometimes a round of toast. Started off at 14stone 10lbs, now on 13 stone 9lbs. Happy with that, inside my BMI. (y)(y)

• Like Like x 8
  7. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Jammy Git. I've had to change my diet and exercise more to get the Cholesterol down, and was quietly celebrating dropping below 14 st this morning, but ideally I should be below 12 st. It's going to be a long slow process but a steady change of habits will probably work better than any crash diet.

• Like Like x 12
  8. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

It's a good feeling when you see the benefits, proves what you are doing works for you, keep at it slowly you will end up were you want to be. For me the difficult part is keeping it off if you take your eye off the ball when you get to were you want to be. (y)

• Like Like x 6
  9. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Er, I did have a powerful motive...............................I have a stoma now, and a fat belly and a colostomy just don't work. Also, given up the beer.......It helps, but I only stopped drinking, (except for special occasions), because quite frankly I got to dislike the taste of ale.
    Still have two spoons of sugar in coffee, and the odd cream cake, that dosent seem to make a difference. Anything consumed in moderation seems to fit the bill.

• Like Like x 8
  10. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

To be honest, we were well motivated by some of our fellow Funsters we met during our travels earlier this year. I won't embarrass or name and shame any of them :rolleyes::whistle::), some were even older than us!!!...and so much fitter, but we won't go into that ;). Just thanks for the motivation!

It's a bit of a bugger that where we're heading for Christmas the beers about a euro a pint o_O...we will just have to try to be "sensible" :rolleyes:.

• Like Like x 6
  11. makems

makems Funster Life Member

After returning from our Winter sojourn in Morocco at end of April I found I had put on weight and was 13stone8lb. Way above my regular weight.:(
    I am now down to 12st 7lb and haven't changed my diet at all, I've just cut down on alcohol, limiting myself to one glass of red per day. :)
    This was driven by a visit to hospital to have my prostate and a few other bits removed and finding in rehab that alcohol aggravates the bladder.:(
    I am now the same weight I was when I left school at 18. :)
    I'm a slightly different shape though as back then I was into athletics (400m hurdles) and football so had muscles. I had a six pack and My biceps then were as big as my thighs are now. The pecs I had then seem to have slipped and settled around my waist. :(

• Like Like x 10
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

My comment was aimed at the OP Tootles, but well done to you too, regardless of incentive. Nothing quite like the threat of imminent extinction to make one re-evaluate one's lifestyle choices eh?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Maybe the total weight of the stuff removed totalled a stone?? :);)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Sorry MB, thought you had replied to me......(y)

15. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Now back in Sarfend for a couple of months.
    Oh dear, so this plan of mine for lunch dessert today won't feature on your menu!:

Step 1.Stick a packet of Lindt Chocolate Balls into the freezer for a couple of hours.
    Cut up a few sheets of filo/phyllo pastry into squares big enough to wrap one ball.
    Brush melted butter onto the pastry and use 2 squares to wrap each ball, twisting like a sweet wrapper.
    Drop into very hot oil until pastry starts to colour.
    Serve immediately, dusted with icing sugar and accompanied by ice cream dosed with sauce of your choice.

warning - eat them whole because if you try and bite into one it will make one hell of a mess - mostly down your chin.

Step 2. Return to/start your diet.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. G T and Dottie

G T and Dottie Funster

I too have broken the 13 stone barrier, unfortunately going the wrong way!! And Christmas is just around the corner. Roll on the New Year.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Popeye

Popeye Funster

That's the case for many of us on here.....sadly not just 13 but at least mine now reads 14 as opposed to that dreadful 15 I saw for a few months.

Much of that was the medication but I didn't like it, it had to go.

Well done all of you.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

Love it when you break through another stone.

• Like Like x 2
  19. calion

calion

I'm much too embarrassed to tell you all what I weigh but suffice to say I gave up smoking in 2004 and have gained 7 stone since then. Only started cutting down on 1st October and am feeling the benefits already, but I've got a really long way to go. Have managed to lose 12lbs in total so far. I can only dream about being a sylph-like 13 stone :cry:

• Like Like x 2
  20. Badknee

Badknee Funster

I passed thirteen stone in 1975 aged 21 while spending twelve months in hospital and haven't been anywhere near it since sad to say so very well done on your weight loss all of you, I'm only five stone behind you. (y)

• Like Like x 3