broadband just for weather forecast

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by bernardfeay, Aug 3, 2012.

1. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

We travel very often to Europe and usually have no particular plan. If it's raining we move on, if it's sunny we stay.

Does anybody know of a cheap payg sim only tariff and a good weather forecast app that will let me plug about a dozen European cities in.

At the moment I am with Orange and I think their broadband in Europe has come down a bit. I used to get texts from them saying that internet access was only £4 per MB. They ought to say.... internet for a stonking great, eye watering, massive £4 per MB.

2. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

3. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Hi
    We find tom-tom works really well for us------gives us the weather anywhere.:thumb::thumb:
    Nigel & Pamala

4. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Cheapest way is probably to text someone in the UK who can look it up for you. Text in Europe 16p (Vodaphone)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Must admit that I'm enjoying this Tomtom Live stuff, weather on the go and where you like. If it's just for that and you're thinking of a new satnav then it may be worth thinking about.

6. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

I agree with Ridgeway. You don't need any sort of roaming agreement in order to find out the weather, just simply get a TomTom LIVE.

Any new TomTOm LIVE comes with 12 months subscription, so ideally don't turn it on until you're almost ready to leave to get the most out of your subscription.

You get Weather for the next 7 days either in your current location, a location that you choose or your "destination".

You also get "Live Traffic" which, I can tell you, has got me out of a few tight spots in the past!

You also get "Google Search" included, which means you can search for things without needing any POI's loaded - such as Lidl, Aldi etc and it will pull them from Google Maps.

What happens when the subscription expires? Simple! Sell it on eBay and buy a brand new one, with 12 months subscriptions, 12 months warrenty and a brand new full europe map for less then the cost of upgrading (I did this last year, cost me £37 in total!).