Brittany in September

Discussion in 'France' started by JackieP, Aug 9, 2015.

1. JackieP

JackieP Funster

I've never fully explored Brittany and on my first solo trip (leaving two weeks tomorrow eek!) I'm going to sail from Plymouth to Roscoff and, if the weather is favourable, spend some time in Brittany before moving south as the weather changes.

I'd love to hear your experiences of Brittany. Places to stay, things to see. I'm not one of the usual tourist excursions and, also, as I will be travelling with Dugal the Dug, dog walks and open spaces are more important to us.

Any suggestions, experiences or hints would be welcome.

Thank you.

2. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Weather can be risky..check the reports. South coast more attractive I guess. We like it round Carnac. Can be very quiet in September as well...be prepared to head south for better weather would be my recomendation! (Brittany is westerly and exposed)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Shrimp64

Shrimp64 Funster

If you are going West Brittany have a look at Camping Pors Peron, 29790 Beuzec Cap Sizun, Brittany.
    We have stayed there several times, run by a young English couple, very nice, clean and welcoming.
    Put 'Pors Peron' into Google and have a look. When they say the beach is close they mean it. The terrain is very similar to Pembrokeshire with lovely coast paths, and big green Lizards!

• Like Like x 3
  4. makems

makems Funster Life Member

[QUOTE="Shrimp63, post: 1509709, member: 36573" The terrain is very similar to Pembrokeshire with lovely coast paths, and big green Lizards![/QUOTE]

I've never heard of Welsh people being described as big green lizards.
    "Sheep shagger" is the more usual term. :LOL:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

The coast of northern Finisterre is fantastic. Don't immediately head south. Turn right at Roscoff.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

We explored Normandy and Brittany last September through to October and the weather was good well into October. We used Aires and just one ACSI site. Stunning coastline, enjoy :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. JackieP

JackieP Funster

That's my plan! Thank you!

8. JackieP

JackieP Funster

Thank you of the recommendation but I'm not sure my budget will stretch to a campsite. I'll take a look though.

9. JackieP

JackieP Funster

Quiet is good. That's how I like it.

And yes, the weather. having experience the north west winds here on the Island for what seems like most of the 'summer' I'm not up for battling my way through more of them in the van. I have no real plan and will be prepared to move if it's not pleasant.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

Don't forget there are lots of good aires in France so no need to allways stop at campsites.

• Like Like x 1
  11. vwalan

vwalan Funster

you will have to go a fair way out of roscoff before you turn right . but do try following the coast . there are some great little places that will welcome you. i suggest you get some local maps of brittany .
    its possible to get i think its carte geographic they are almost like ordanence survey maps .
    ideally take the d769 south then turn right near st pol de leon ,on to the d10 route then i say at cleder turn right . along that coast is a small village called kirfissien . we used to park by the old quay . there is a bar and cafe,s close by.
    after that just try to keep the sea on your right . its not always easy but there really is some nice places . also shouldnt be very busy at that time of year. although september swells will bring lots of surfers along that coast. you will love it i,m sure .
    brittany as the most airres per mile than anywhere else in france . plus they dont mind you stopping the odd night in villages in the off season .
    you should find a super market at cleder . remember shops can be a bit scarce along by the sea .
    making me jealous just visualizing your trip. it was a regular one for us years ago. in early spring and autumn brittany ferries used to do very cheap 5or 10 day return crossings for about 55 quid we used them alot . have you got room for a small one . hee hee . i look like father xmas . ha ha .

• Like Like x 2
  12. makems

makems Funster Life Member

We stayed at a nice spot at Jard Sur Mer just South of Sables D'Olonne.
    There is an Aires there right on the beach which we didn't stay at because we couldn't get the ticket machine to accept our credit cards.
    There are at least two decent campsites there, one of which is very close to the harbour and village centre.
    It was about three years ago and I don't have access to my records at the moment so I can't be more specific I'm afraid.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Hi Jackie
    Have you considered joining France Passion
    https://www.france-passion.com/en/
    Farms, vinyards, restaurants, etc (like Britstops) who allow motorhomes to park Free of Charge for one night
    Like you, we don't like crowds, and this is a great way to travel
    Would highly recommend

Enjoy your travels!

• Like Like x 1
  14. JackieP

JackieP Funster

Such helpful replies! Thanks again. I'm not a drinker Robert so have never joined 'Passion' as I though it was mainly about wine. I'll take a look at that now.

15. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi JackieP, we are off a eek behind you from Oustreham 3weeks tuesday 1st sept heading up around rose granite coast firstly then on too Finistere region going anticlockwise around the coast , never know our paths may cross.

• Like Like x 1
  16. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Cote de Granit Rose (Pink Granite Coast) around Tregastel - anyone visiting Brittany and not going there is a damn fool in my humble opinion. Very convenient aire. Don't miss the Ile Renote either (not actually an island but close).
    Fougeres - interesting Chateau with aire opposite.
    Locronan - quaint village with wall-to-wall cobbles - small aire at one end.
    Pointe de la Torche - dramatic beaches and rocky point, aire nearby at St Guenole.
    Carnac - unique prehistoric standing stone alignments, tons of them. Like Avebury on Speed. Aire in town.
    Quiberon Peninsula - free aire at Port Blanc, and others elsewhere.
    Concarneau - quaint walled historic town in harbour, aire by the old railway station.

• Like Like x 3
  17. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Thanks Magicsurfbus, mostly on our list of to do!, done Fougere & castle lovely there, also Quiberon so more than likely give them a miss.

• Like Like x 1
  18. JackieP

JackieP Funster

That would be good. Give me a shout. Manx plate Hymer painted in green and brown and gold. Yes. Really. :)

19. JackieP

JackieP Funster

Wonderful. Thanks. Just what I was hoping for. Have entered all of these in the Sat Nav and my notebook.

20. jonegood

jonegood Funster

Another vote for granite rose, superb coastline.

We went to brittany in late september 2012 - weather was lovely.

You can do a boat trip to les sept isles and people were wilding up on the coast there ( very rugged)

Paimpol is a nice stop as well with a free aire on the edge of town and a nice little port.

• Like Like x 1