Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
hi guys, thinking of spending 3 to 4 weeks touring brittany in sept .will probably look at stopping on municiple campsites or aires for a few days at a time. has anyone got any "worth going to spots" or perhaps more impotantly "dont bother going to places or areas "?, .there are only 2 of us and the dog, so once parked up we will be quite happy with nearby friendly little villages or quiet coves and beaches. ive heard that the far north coastline around finistere is stunning, but is it the sort of place that you would actually stay at for a while or is it just some where to say you have been to [like lands end / john o groats etc] !! cheers garry.

Last edited:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We are also considering Brittany in late September/early October, but unfortunately we only have two weeks to spare. Similar aims as you though, quiet scenic sites and aires, with lots of walking and cycling potential is what we are looking for.
Will watch this thread with interest.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Take a look at Quieberon (not sure of spelling) in South Brittany. You reach it by a long road with the sea on both sides.

It's really motorhome friendly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, Likewise we are heading to Brittany for the 1st 2 weeks of Sept, starting from Dunkirk on 2nd going to head for Fougeres , Dinan & St Jacut then head down to the morhiban area Lorient , Quiberon , Carnac , Guerande, La Turballe & Piriac also Briere nation forest. then head back via Chateau Gontier and Clecy C/site & Normandy Swiss near Thury Harcourt, Stopping on the way down & back at St Nicholas de Bliquetiut aire or La Mailleraye aire. This is only provisional plan nothing set in stone, been to Dinan before well worth a visit also Chateau Gontier nice aire on the river facilities on one side of river and aire on the other.
Terry:sin::sin:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
We 'did' Brittany in June. We stopped at an aire at Dinan, under the bridge, just for a look round. It's a lovely town. The Pink Granite Coast is a must; then we stopped at an aire west of Brest. Two other lovely villages were Locronan and Concarneau, which has a town across the bridge in the harbour. Then we stayed at an aire right at the point of Quiberon. That is a lovely place with a beautiful walk along to the left (east) with quite majestic scenery and huge crashing waves. The only downside there was that it was quite blustery since you are fairly exposed there. Brittany is a lovely area and the gardens and villages are really beautiful. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We spent another 3 weeks in Normany and Brittany recently, however long you have never seems long enough to do this lovely area justice.

As has been mentioned Le Mailleraye sur Seine and Dinan aires are perfect. On our last trip we also enjoyed aires at Granville (free aire, nice coastal town, ww2 museums etc), Modrey (for Mont St Michel but 50 minute walk involved), La Cheze (free water and electricity, quiet aire between lake and river, nice town), Josselin (free aire in car park, lovely town and chateau) and Bayeux (free aire in centre of town, short walk to the famous tapestry).

Essential reading (I think anyway) is All the Aires France by Vicarious Books, available here.

Have a great trip.

Paul

Last edited:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Great information folks, thanks. Getting very excited now, just have to contain myself until end of September.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Fougeres has 2 aires and is a good first stop if your ferry arrives in Calais or Dieppe - nice chateau.

There's a free aire near the sandy beach at Port Blanc on Quiberon, plus others. It's possible to cycle the length of Quiberon without a huge amount of effort.

Concarneau has the quaint old walled town in the harbour, Carnac has the unique rows of prehistoric standing stones (both have aires), and if you want wild sandy beaches try Pointe de la Torche near Penmarc'h, with a nearby aire at St Guenole. Locronan is also quaint, with a small aire.

To me the highlight is the Cote de Granit Rose around Perros Guirec and Tregastel. Nice aire at Tregastel with huge supermarket and coastal walks very close by, and easy cycling. If you go up there don't miss the Sentier de Douarniers coast path, and the Ile Renote.

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Brittany

Hi, Likewise we are heading to Brittany for the 1st 2 weeks of Sept, starting from Dunkirk on 2nd going to head for Fougeres , Dinan & St Jacut then head down to the morhiban area Lorient , Quiberon , Carnac , Guerande, La Turballe & Piriac also Briere nation forest. then head back via Chateau Gontier and Clecy C/site & Normandy Swiss near Thury Harcourt, Stopping on the way down & back at St Nicholas de Bliquetiut aire or La Mailleraye aire. This is only provisional plan nothing set in stone, been to Dinan before well worth a visit also Chateau Gontier nice aire on the river facilities on one side of river and aire on the other.
Hi doing the same in September how is the weather usually at this time and is it possible to just turn up at aires any help please,,,,Bruce

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Bruce,
Yep just turn up at aires ,then decide if it suits you, sometimes crowded, sometimes you may not like the situation i.e. built up area or alongside a noisy main road or a railway line etc. Most are fine we have only a couple of times moved on to another, some have good services some free electric and water, some make small charge usually collected by local officers. A must is either All the Aires book or some form list aires , I use the book also I have made my own list from another website called motorhomingfrance (printed off copies of the area which Iintend to travel ) using both covers me, only use municipal campsites occasionally. Any other help or questions just ask or PM me.

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Aires

Hi Bruce,
Yep just turn up at aires ,then decide if it suits you, sometimes crowded, sometimes you may not like the situation i.e. built up area or alongside a noisy main road or a railway line etc. Most are fine we have only a couple of times moved on to another, some have good services some free electric and water, some make small charge usually collected by local officers. A must is either All the Aires book or some form list aires , I use the book also I have made my own list from another website called motorhomingfrance (printed off copies of the area which Iintend to travel ) using both covers me, only use municipal campsites occasionally. Any other help or questions just ask or PM me.
Hi Terry thanks for a good reply this will be our first long run from Glasgow. We have only done Wales and the Lakes so far so looking forward to a longer trip with more time to enjoy, Have you any idea what weather is like in Brittany in September...............Bruce

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Bruce,
Last time we went to brittany it was in june 2005, very sunny and pleasantly warm, but 2 years ago we went to the loire in sept just after school hols, it again was warm def shorts & T shirt weather but needed occasionally a sweatshirt or jumper but not cold , we had the odd day of cloud. Have aquick look at my photo album France Loire 2011 , it will give you and idea of weather.
Terry :sin::sin:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
September in Brittany

Hello all,

We are going to be in Britanny the first (and maybe second week) in September - if anyone is going to be there at the same time, we would love to meet up as we are newbies to the group.

We have travelled extensively through France with a caravan and have towed boats to the Riviera twice, but haven't travelled West to Britanny before. Now we have the motorhome we (I that is) am determined to do the west coast and hopefully only travel as south as La Rochelle. We aimed to do this last year, but the weather was so bad that we just kept going until we got to St Tropez and stayed there for the whole three weeks!

We will be in France for three weeks, so as I said, it would be lovely to meet some friendly faces as it's our first experience of the French Aires.

Cheers,

Geraldine

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
We also will be passing through that area the first week or so of September, on our way South. No doubt folk will update on here as to where they are :thumb:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
September in Brittany

Lovely - will keep checking the post. We have a recommendation from a couple we met earlier this year, so we thought our first stop would be Le Crotoy in Northern France and then we intend to motor on to Britanny after that.

Looking forward to it! We have used the Britstop book and also CLs over the last couple of months and have thoroughly enjoyed our first few months as motorhomers! A different type of holiday to the caravan but equally (if not more) enjoyable.

Geraldine

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hello all,

We are going to be in Britanny the first (and maybe second week) in September - if anyone is going to be there at the same time, we would love to meet up as we are newbies to the group.

We have travelled extensively through France with a caravan and have towed boats to the Riviera twice, but haven't travelled West to Britanny before. Now we have the motorhome we (I that is) am determined to do the west coast and hopefully only travel as south as La Rochelle. We aimed to do this last year, but the weather was so bad that we just kept going until we got to St Tropez and stayed there for the whole three weeks!

We will be in France for three weeks, so as I said, it would be lovely to meet some friendly faces as it's our first experience of the French Aires.

Cheers,

Geraldine

Hi Geraldine,
We (thats me and wife Ann) are going over on sunday 1st PM to dunkirk , arques aire, then travelling to the seine for 2nd night then to fougeres , dinan, josselin, quiberon, carnac, guerande, and back via chateau gontier and clecy then seine again. If you are anywhere in those area's around same time frame perhaps meet up for chat / liquid refreshment. That goes for anybody else we may see or is over there at same time. We are coming back on 16th sept

Last edited:

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Hi Geraldine,
We (thats me and wife Ann) are going over on sunday 1st PM to dunkirk , arques aire, then travelling to the seine for 2nd night then to fougeres , dinan, josselin, quiberon, carnac, guerande, and back via chateau gontier and clecy then seine again. If you are anywhere in those area's around same time frame perhaps meet up for chat / liquid refreshment. That goes for anybody else we may see or is over there at same time. We are coming back on 16th sept
"
We too are hoping to be about in September so anyone who sees "Toby" our tin tent Transit minibus camper conversion please say hello. This will be our first tip over the channel, so my wifes embarrassment starts here............Bruce

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We visited Brittany earlier this year and posted a review on another well known Motorhome forum:winky:
I couldn't find a link but if you google "Spring in Brittant MHF" you should find it. Some folk thought it was useful.
We hope to be in Italy this September.

If this sort of forum cross reference is frowned upon, please frown quietly.:RollEyes:

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
We visited Brittany earlier this year and posted a review on another well known Motorhome forum:winky:
I couldn't find a link but if you google "Spring in Brittant MHF" you should find it. Some folk thought it was useful.
We hope to be in Italy this September.

If this sort of forum cross reference is frowned upon, please frown quietly.:RollEyes:
No frowning keep going...............Bruce

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Looks like we will be going to Brittany when everyone else is coming back! Do you lot know something I don't?

We cannot go any earlier than 26th Sept, hope the weather is still good then. At least this year we have managed to squeeze in a massive 18 days!! Never had so much time off work all in one go::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back