brittany in july

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by happytraveller123, Feb 15, 2010.

1. happytraveller123

happytraveller123 Read Only Funster

off to brittany in july ,can anyone recommend any areas or places to head for . we are both in our fifties with an elderly dog so we dont need touristy nightlife etc . its just that the coastline seems quite diverse and looks quite remote in places that were not sure where to start. we prefer exploring to lying on a beach .any suggestions more than welcome.

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Doesn't get any better than St Malo. Then Dinard for real olde town centre.

But when we did it, 30 years ago with 2 kids it was for the lovely beaches of which there are a countless number.

3. Randonneur

Randonneur Read Only Funster

Brittany

Try Malestroit, there is a Municipal there that is very cheap with nice showers and electric hookups. Malestroit itself is beautiful and is a short walk into town from the Campsite. The Nantes/Brest canal runs through there as well at the side of the site. If it wasn't so cold in Winter we would move there. There are a couple of Aires as well, one just past the lock-keepers cottage and one near the campsite.

4. Denny

Denny Read Only Funster

Brittany

We have not been very far into Brittany / Bretagne as we prefer to venture further south, at least as far as the Loire. The weather is better and more reliable.
    However, I would highly recommend a visit to Fougeres which is only just into Department 35 Ille-Et-Villaine, Bretagne.
    It is well worth, as always, making your first port of call the tourist information office where you will be given an excellent map of the town. It advises visiters to follow the tourist route and finishes back near the tourist office.
    An excellent place to eat en-route is facing the castle entrance where the atmosphere is a bit like Disneyland, that is, you can see where Disney got inspiration for their buildings.
    Bon voyage.
    Denny.

5. Romahomepete

Romahomepete Read Only Funster

St Malo, Dinard
    Have a look at the Rance barrage it is fascinating

Follow the coat road round from Dinard through St Lunaire to St Briac a small seaside town next to the fremur estuary. try this campsite http://www.camping-brittany.biz/index.htm
    It used to be a municipal but is now privately owned, right on the estuary, 5 mins walk into the town and 20 mins from St Malo by the main road.

We have spent some time here most summers for the last 27 years

6. MrJinks

MrJinks Read Only Funster

Hi

I have repeated a post that was on a similar thread recently posted by Wintonian and I found it useful although he is talking about going in June. July will be a bit busier in popular places

I hope to try similar trip in April/May

Good luck and have a good trip

7. suntorfan

suntorfan Read Only Funster

Hi there! You have a great treat in store for you. My suggestions would be not to miss spending some time at Dinan, that we have a great fondness for and have been back to again and again - you could stay at the Aire under the Viaduct down in the port, though I have never done it myself I hasten to add, having only got our m'home a year ago and always hotelled it until then. There is a good access to the canal too, good for walking the pooch?. We have always found Finistere and anything in the West very interesting but a little bleak. In the south Josselin is always a good spot and there is an Aire there in the town that I would consider safe to stay on. Concarneau is very interesting and the port of Auray is also. A bit like you we avoid anywhere too big and crowded. Someone mentioned Malestroit which we like and near there is a very interesting museum at St Marcel which features the resistance movement there locally during WWII - this is a must whenever we are down that way. Bon voyage!!:thumb:

8. sue1959

sue1959 Read Only Funster

Pardon my ignorance but I thought Caen was in land.

9. Gonewiththewind

Gonewiththewind Read Only Funster

I found Quimper (not sure on spelling) Street trader dressed in traditional attire,
    very interesting.

Don

10. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

The city of Caen is about 15Km inland, but the ferry to Ouistreham is referred to as the Portsmouth - Caen ferry :Smile:

11. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Strictly speaking, it is: 15 km in fact up the river from Ouistreham where the ferry terminal is situated. But Brittany Ferries refer to it as the Caen Ferry Terminal.

Philip