Brittany ferries (2 Viewers)

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Just of fone to britanny ferries they don't know yet if the ferry crossing to Santander will be cancelled on the 12th of February but if I cancelled the out going trip they would refund. Half the money which is £360 .then I would get the return ferry as planned on the 5 march from Santander.the weather look crap for Wednesday anyway no matter wat the ferry going to get booted about like a ball at a football match.so wat would any one advise me thing of driving down ferry back wat do use think.

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We're booked with BF on the 25th, hopefully this crap weather will have sorted itself out by then. But if not then the plan for us is tunnel and drive down, ferry back. Don't really fancy the long drive so hope it's better by then.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Just of fone to britanny ferries they don't know yet if the ferry crossing to Santander will be cancelled on the 12th of February but if I cancelled the out going trip they would refund. Half the money which is £360 .then I would get the return ferry as planned on the 5 march from Santander.the weather look crap for Wednesday anyway no matter wat the ferry going to get booted about like a ball at a football match.so wat would any one advise me thing of driving down ferry back wat do use think.
my sympathies pal, not a good time for ferries at the mo especially with the longer sailings down to Santander. Would consider short crossing and long drive maybe? at least you can stop and get your head down without being tossed about all over the place. Not sure about my maths but Calais/Santander around 800 miles, if you get around 30mpg so 27gals/122ltrs@ approx' 1.34euro/ltr about 164 euros plus peages/tolls maybe 120euros depending on your route. The ferry in good conditions would be my choice normally but the weather being experienced lately would make my choice short crossing and drive.
Best regards
Vin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There are no storms forecast for the 12th from what I can see. But I guess the problem might be the sea state - the local forecast today was warning of waves of almost unprecedented height, which is something I haven't heard before. However, I would have thought things would have calmed down by next week.

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Drive

Yes I know guys think wat way to go we are heading to benidorm area looking at going round Paris clearmont fear rand and heading down to Barcelona way.i live in Birmingham I finish work on Tuesday so will be leaving then and push it down past Paris stop for the first night

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
The sea state can change quite quickly. We sailed to Bilbao on the 10th Jan and the sailing two days earlier was cancelled due to bad sea conditions. Our crossing was uneventful. However we did take copious amounts of seasick tablets and stayed in our cabin asleep most of the time. We could have been tossed about like a cork but would have been oblivious.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Our first trip to Spain was last February. The ferry was cancelled on the morning of the sailing, but they gave us the choice of waiting till the next ferry, another crossing or they would take us to St Malo on the same boat and we could sleep overnight on the ferry. We chose the latter and drove down to north Spain next day, although we would have been better to stop at an aire in France. So they may offer that alternative.

Keep checking their website for the Latest Sailing Information, it's under Routes and Timetables. They are also on Twitter and they can give you updates immediately.

Edit: just checked their Twitter feed and they are still expecting Wednesday's sailing to go ahead.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Ferry

I have cancelled the out going crossing so I get a refund of £364.80 going to drive instead book train £54 one way and return bye ferry on 5th March Santander to Portsmouth :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back