Brittany Ferries - Spanish Routes. Are you a convert or? (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Afternoon!

I was looking back at some of my posts on the other forums. Along with recalling our travels over the years by motorhome.

Back 10+ Years ago. Should I mention Brittany ferries, the fact that we used them and why. Many people were very anti BF Spain routes, most quoting costs as being prohibitive.

I think back to one December trip some 12 years or so ago. We were the only motorhome on the Ferry to Spain. December 2016, we were waiting in the queue in our car and we all commented how popular it now seems to be with Campers, Caravaners and motorhomes. I would say at least 40 waiting to board Cap Finistere.

For us, the convenience is why we do it. We can get to Portsmouth in around 4 hours if we time it right. 24 hours and we are in Spain and either on a campsite or at our house in around 6-8 hours.

Yes, if we had all the time in the world, I would love to make more trips through France. But, we don't.

I still stand by what I say about costs too. If you add up the costs of Ferries/Eurotunnel (great if you have Tesco Deals). Then the tolls through France and the overnight stops, hotels if you are by car/bike. The Costs are around the same with less wear and tear.

So what has changed?

Should I be asking BF for concessions for singing their praises?.

TM

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Easy ferry to le Havre for me ...get to Portsmouth about 2100hrs ,loaded and sailing at 2300 hrs have a quick bite . Get head down in cabin. Arrive le Havre 0800 hrs refreshed and ready to enjoy the day.. What's not to like ?? Oh and don't state th cost because it works out very similar if I have to travel to Dover then drive south again...Roy

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We have always used the ferry.
My eyesight prevents me from driving so Gwen has to do it all. Her arthritis prevents us driving more than 3 hours per day (preferably less) so it would take us ages to get down to the South of Spain if we went via France. And we have no desi,re to spend day after day in what can sometimes be very cold and bad weather.
We value the time and mileage the ferry saves us more than saving a few quid.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I've done the trip through France a few times, and then the ferry ever since.

I like France and generally get on fine with the French, but the toll roads are a bore and very costly. Taking into account the effort of the long drive, the cost of the tolls and the wear and tear on the van, I far prefer the comfort of the ferry. I also like the isolation of being away from the phone, the opportunity for a (generally) good meal, a good night's sleep and the relaxation, I am actually quite satisfied with BF - although the price is a bit too high at times

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Brittany Ferries every time. Besides cutting out the trip through France, the drive to Portsmouth from the West Mids is far easier than the horrendous journey around the M25. It may be more expensive, I don't know, we haven't costed it, but we like the ferry, whereas we don't like the winter trek through France.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Brittany Ferries is good for travelling to Spain. Yes, on the face of it appears a tad expensive but it is quick, comfortable, generally relaxing and yes the food on board is OK.

If you really want to 'push the boat out' (excuse the pun), get on the Pont Aven and book a Commodore Cabin with private balcony - given fair weather and a bit sunshine it really is like being on a high-end cruise. (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Prefer to drive can get to the Spanish border in two days from Dieppe or take as long as we like, don't use toll roads, overnight stops usually don't cost anything.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I must admit I have enjoyed the trip. The only problem has been the light reflection off all the shiny surfaces, I wish these bald people would wear hats :LOL:
Definitely more relaxing that driving through a closed France

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Ferry to Spain in the winter but we enjoy dawdling down through France in the better weather with more daylight hours,,good job we are not all the same,,BUSBY.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Ferry to Spain then later wander back through France once they've turned the heat on.

Once our Santander ferry was cancelled due to winds, the journey via the Tunnel then France was to say the least interesting. Top to bottom France is a long drag when you need to get to the warmth of Spain.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I love France but nearly always travel direct to Spain on the ferry.

We usually travel spring and autumn so get on the ferry in Portsmouth at 3c and get off 24 hours later and its usually around 18-20c.

Let the boat take the strain - its a lot of driving days when I don't want to go more than a couple hundred of miles a day. (y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I've never been able to get anywhere near on prices. using Plymouth-Santander.
I've just costed when I wished to travel this year & it would be ferry 1300€ return against 541€ driving +ferry return @Dunkirk.+Additional costs of eating on ferry to Plymouth.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If you really want to 'push the boat out' (excuse the pun), get on the Pont Aven and book a Commodore Cabin with private balcony - given fair weather and a bit sunshine it really is like being on a high-end cruise. (y)

That's what we do. Commodore Cabins on the Pont Aven booked each way this Easter.(y)

As a smoker it's a godsend, and as a beer drinker the fridge is great.

I don't like the Cap Finistere much so we avoid that if we can.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
This is the first year that we've done the outward journey from Portsmouth to Santander. We've done it homeward bound, because we've been reluctant to leave the sun. I must admit, it was perfect to leave fog bound Portsmouth on 30th December to arrive in sunny Santander the next day, without the sub zero temperatures in France, as our pic will show. For our penance we've suffered snow, hail and rain in the Costa Blanca but at least we haven't 'driven' hundreds of miles for the priveledge.

Attachments

• IMG_2024.JPG
    IMG_2024.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Overall, we like Cap Finistere. We book one of the Commodore cabins. Only problem is they are over the Bow!. We tend to travel in lower season so don't pay the £265 cabin price they have in Summer. Good Restaurant. Sunday departures from Portsmouth give you a two day cruise. This way, you get two nights in your expensive cabin.

Pont Aven is nice, we have booked those balcony cabins when we have had our Grandchildren with us. They are the best. Possibly the best restaurant of the 3 Spanish ships.

Baie de Seine is okay, standard crossing rates are lower, but this is offset by the high cost of Outside 2 berth Economie Plus cabin which we always opt for as we do not like the food or bar on this ship.

I think due to some of the recent flying issues we have had. We might book some 10 day trips by car to Spain for late 2017 / early 2018.

TM

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We like the Pont Aven, for creature comforts - good food, relaxing piano bar :). However, we sacrifice our own comfort for that of our dog o_O. Cap Finistere has pet-friendly cabins (y).

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
It's all a matter of horses for courses, we have done both, we have a motorhome and half the fun for me is driving, a boring 24 hours on a ferry does nothing for me, driving is part of the adventure. So it's cold in France, we have a heater, the tolls are expensive, so we don't use them. Cost for us less to drive than use the ferry to Portsmouth but cost isn't everything.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back