Brittany ferries no longer able to provide ehu (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I tweeted Brittany ferries about this after using it going last year but coming back I was refused. They no longer provide ehu to keep my fridge going so have to empty said fridge as all my food ruined on the trip back in April.
Any tips or will I have to empty fridge before I go on the 11th October.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Never used ehu and never had a problem with the Santander ferry with stuff spoiling. But a few ferries take two nights so they might be an issue.
It's been much discussed here and most folk don't use ehu.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Possibly you need to get your fridge looked at.

Motorhome fridges and freezers are no different than domestic ones in that once chilled down to the correct temperature they should be fine for 24 hours or so with no power as long as you don't open the door.

If yours isn't then there could well be something wrong with it. The door seals would be one possibility.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I would freeze 2 large milks x 4 litres before you go and do not open fridge until you are moving in Spain that should keep most things fresh.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
sume big bottles coke bottle with as much salt as you can desolve in to water frezz for as long as you can put in fridge just before you leave
it wont stop stuff defrosting but will help to keep it cool
we have seen then still have ice in them two to three days later and that was in a cool box
bill

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I've got a different fridge this year and know that foodstuffs are usually ok for around 15 hours without opening doors but the trip is 24 hours.

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Hey guys, food doesn't instantly go off with a slightly raised temperature, after all we managed without fridges not that long ago.

But then I know some people do throw away food just because the packet is past its 'best before', the last one I saw was chucking out a bag of potatoes.:whistle:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I've got a different fridge this year and know that foodstuffs are usually ok for around 15 hours without opening doors but the trip is 24 hours.
make sure your freezer compartment is jam paked full of high density food stuff frozen in a domestic freezer put in just before you go last thing to pack
bill

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
just another thing if it defrost just cook it and re freeze it if it was fresh meet chicken and pork can be frozen after cooking
bill

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If you freeze some pre cooked meals, chilli, cottage pie etc. They will help cool the fridge down then they will be ready to reheat when you arrive and will have helped keep the rest of the foodstuffs cool.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I assume Brittany Ferries no longer want the hassle of parking vehicles on the ferry near an EHU. I was on the Pont Avon on Sunday and just by chance they parked me right next to an EHU although I did not need it. Maybe you would have had better luck if you had 'phoned them rather than tweeting?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I suspect ehu for MHs isn't a service officially offer so on the phone they will say no. If you feel you need it you will have to ask a crew member after boarding but be prepared to be turned down.
As mentioned by others it shouldn't be necessary if everything is well chilled beforehand and you add something frozen. This is what we do.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We never have any bother,,,its only 24 hrs. Milk is still nice and cold when we land in Spain,,,Nothing will go off,,,,BUSBY,,,,

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I worked on ferries, and managed them for many years and I can never remember a MH ever requiring an EHU. Okay the crossing was less than 3 hours. We had hook-ups but these were only intended for reefer freight wagons.

Having experience of fridges my method is to load the fridge section with a few big frozen items, milk, a chicken, water. This should keep the fridge at a reasonable temperature. Basically empty the freezer into the fridge.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We did the two night crossing last year and filled freezer compartment with bolognese, curries etc and then had 2x2litre containers of frozen milk in the fridge and it was all fine , milk still partially frozen.

Reactions: DBK

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We do the 2 night crossing to Bilbao and never have EHU. The freezer is always full ( frozen in the camper freezer too ;-) ) and we never have anything defrost. Nothing in the fridge goes off in that time.

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
As Penelope. Don't understand what you mean by "ruined". Most things are safe to re-freeze if they don't get above about 7degC. You can always cook it first. Just take enough for one or at most 2 meals and buy in Spain. We've found most of their food is much better than in the UK.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
It may come as a surprise but you can buy food in Spain,,,they do have supermarkets,,,BUSBY:D:D:D

Reactions: CWH
OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
It may come as a surprise but you can buy food in Spain,,,they do have supermarkets,,,BUSBY:D:D:D
I know and most of it is very nice as we've found or during our few trips to spain for the winter periods but I was asking if I could keep my fridge frozen to keep the food already in it frozen.
(y):ROFLMAO::Grin:

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I see you have "liked" quite a few of the posts so hopefully you'll be able to get it sorted for your next trip.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for the replies from all you nice people, I'm going to run down my stocks and if I have any left I'll freeze some bottles and chilled food to keep the food already in the fridge.
Freezing in a home fridge isn't possible as we live in the van and are'homeless' lol.
:mm::mm:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back