Brittany Ferries measuring vehicles.

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Brisey, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

For the first time ever our Motorhome was measured before we were allowed to board the ferry. We arrived at Portsmouth to board the Brittany Ferries service to Santander yesterday. We drove up to the kiosk and handed over our ticket and passports to the young lady in the kiosk. She checked our details on her computer and then came out of the kiosk and proceeded to measure our Motorhome with a surveyors wheel. All was ok and we were allowed to board the ferry. Whilst on board we heard of motor homers and Caravanners being charged a supplement of £60 as their vehicles were longer than that stated on their booking form, some by a matter of only 7 or 8 inches, they were not allowed to board until the supplement had been paid. I am not sure if this is to become a regular practice but best be aware in case it is.

Brisey.

• Like Like x 12
  2. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

Some years ago a pal of mine had his Range Rover measured on the ferry car deck. He had booked it as a Range Rover,but he omitted to tell them it was on and extended chassis. It still had the 4 doors,but a 3 foot extension on the body.

3. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Ours was measured earlier this year when we boarded at Portsmouth .

4. emjaiuk

emjaiuk Funster

Is a surveyers wheel that accurate when measuring a vehicle?

5. fatwallet

fatwallet Funster

When we left the uk from Portsmouth in November we were a group of 4 motorhomes, we all got measured with the wheel and 2 had to pay surcharges of different amounts. I asked the guy who said this is the new system and that they found a lot of people using incorrect details:cry:.

6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I've seen them use it a few times. They re probably only looking to the nearest metre, to catch those that really [STRIKE]are taking the pi..[/STRIKE] have made a mistake when submitting the length :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  7. dickieo

dickieo Read Only Funster

The next trick they will come up with will be to charge you for over inflated tyres . any trick in the book to make a profit .

8. WillH

WillH Funster

I worked for a ferry company and the tricks people would pull to save money were legion. Kids under the seats in a caravan were not uncommon.

One reason for measuring is quite simple, so the ship knows how many vehicle to load. If 20 motorhomes or cars under declared by 0.5 metres who wants to tell the last motorhomer that they can't get on, even though they are booked!

Rds
    Bill

• Like Like x 10
  9. B-well

B-well Funster

Dover kiosk the operater has tape marks alongside top of kiosk, not accarute but as a guide. Sends those deemed over claimed length to payment office for supervisor to decide. Hymer had arial and rails which put me over 2.5 height. Did not have to pay extra but supervisor pointed out that loading van on ship they may have tried to load me as under 2.5 and may have caused tight squeeze.:Eek!:

10. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

I don’t see it as a "Trick" to get more money, I guess they only want what is due to them. A charge per metre is what they advertise and I guess they don’t want people saying the vehicle is 6Mtrs when it is 7 Mtrs.

I guess that, I would want paying for what I advertise....no trick!:thumb:

• Like Like x 8
  11. spitfire

spitfire Funster

I don't mind at all paying for the length of the motorhome but really object if you put in ' no greater than 8m ' as an example and say you are 7.5m . Then they ask you to declare a cycle rack and increase the cost !! Surely you have already paid for 8m !!

:Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  12. trophychap

trophychap Funster

Some years ago we were turned away from speedferries for being 4 inches too long (car and trailer). They gave us a credit for the crossing we had to go via P&O cost us £220 instead of the £59 with speedferries.

Have always made doubly sure of the measurements since then.

13. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I'm afraid I don't have any sympathy whatsoever with anyone who does this INTENTIONALLY and I know for a fact that people do do this! :Angry:

• Like Like x 5
  14. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

When you book,you are asked to state the length of the vehicle-if you get it wrong or deliberately understate it you should pay.:thumb:
    Vehicle lengths are needed to plan the 'packing' of the vehicle decks,it wouldn't take many half metre 'errors' to mess things up.

Mike

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  15. spitfire

spitfire Funster

Not all ferries ask the exact measurements . Some give ' are you between measurements ' hence my post

• Like Like x 1
  16. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

I'm not surprised about the measuring, but what I am surprised about is that they don't ask for weights. Not for charging you (although i'm sure they would!) but for balance.
    I know they are great big things, and carry great big HGV's and all sorts, but at the end of the day they are floating hunks of metal, and, just as like in an aircraft, weight and balance is critical.
    The only way I want to be on a wonky ship is if it's me thats wonky:drink:!

17. Larby

Larby Funster

So why can't slim people travel cheaper on planes than those that are not slim?
    Would people lie about their weight if asked when booking?

And to stay on topic, DFDS MH dimensions are 2.35 x 7m and 4.35 x 10m.
    So even if you were just under 7m in length how many that long are under 2.35m in height, mine is 2.98m x 7.35m so the bigger size.
    Only £5 more or as last August when booked in February, the same price whatever size MH.

18. hailman

hailman Read Only Funster

I have had my motorhome measured many times when crossing from the Isle of Wight, but have never been asked to pay a supplement even though it is a few inches over the 7m ticket length.

I have however had to pay extra to cross on an earlier boat than booked as I may have purchased a special price ticket for a boat sailing after a certain time. It`s either pay up or sit on the dock till the correct sailing arrives, not good when I have just driven halfway across Europe and want to get home.

As an aside, be aware that Wightlink have recently `restructured` their fares, so expect to pay more if you intend to visit the island next year. My advise would be to try Red Funnel as they seem to be more friendly to visitors from the North island :)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  19. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Ships still have the Plimsol Line that denotes how high or low they are in the water according to the weight of the vessel and cargo. There is a maximum load line that they will go to. The ferries are designed to take a maximum load weight, which they will probably rarely, if ever, reach.
    They also have ballast tanks that are distributed along the length and width of the ship. These are used to level the ship so that it always sits at the correct attitude.
    So you don't have to go on a wonky ship. :thumb:
    :helptitanic::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Allanm

Allanm Funster

But, if they still let you on after [STRIKE]they have a whip round,[/STRIKE] you pay a supplement, I assume all the extra cash is so the owners of the motorhome that can't get on can go and get a slap up meal as compensation till the next ferry turns up?

I'd buy that, and make sure I was always last to arrive....

Allan

• Like Like x 1